Sign in to follow this  
daisy

Oliveira`s replacement ?

Nelson seems to be getting a fair amount of stick lately through social media etc. People questioning his commitment, desire and ability. I for one think he does a good job for the team given the role he is asked to play, so my question to those who would like to see someone else up front is who would that be, providing he was available and affordable. Then once you have decided, do you really think he would do a better job? Remember he has to be a realistic choice.

Grabban

I jest of course, but he is available and had scored 12 goals in this league so far this season for the team stuck at the bottom of the league, so clearly knows where the net is

If we could afford it for me it would be Michal Krmenčík, Pilzn player and full international good size and used to playing as a lone striker.

Not sure we’d afford him though.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Jack Marriot at Peterborough, genuine goal scorer and destined for better things. Norwich would be an ideal stepping stone for him.  [/quote]Good pick but Posh would want more money than we''re going to shell out.

I would like 2 one big man to hold up and one nippy guy.

Assuming we do the usual and go for bargains. Marriot would be north of 2.5 million possibly so probably not considered.

Holding up the ball.

Mikael Ishak union berlin

Christian Doidge forest green bring in some form at least.

Nippy striker

The Kilmarnock chappie as he seems to have a lot of pace.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Jack Marriot at Peterborough, genuine goal scorer and destined for better things. Norwich would be an ideal stepping stone for him. 

[/quote]

Stepping stone?

We need players who want to play for the club, not players who see the club as transport to better things. Accepting we’re a stepping stone is very tin pot. Quite pathetic actually.

Plenty of players in league one and the championship that will see playing for Norwich as a massive achievement.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="lake district canary"]Jack Marriot at Peterborough, genuine goal scorer and destined for better things. Norwich would be an ideal stepping stone for him. 

[/quote]

Stepping stone?

We need players who want to play for the club, not players who see the club as transport to better things. Accepting we’re a stepping stone is very tin pot. Quite pathetic actually.

Plenty of players in league one and the championship that will see playing for Norwich as a massive achievement.[/quote]

Tin pot? What do you think Maddison is doing at Norwich?  He wants to play for Norwich but he has a professional career and will want to move upwards and so we are a stepping stone in that career.  If you can''t accept that, then that is your issue - and it''s neither tin pot nor pathetic.

Whoever plays at centre forward needs help from the midfield, it''s asking too much to get the better of 2 centre backs.

The system we play now is very similar to under Hughton and that is not good for the no.9. If we keep 3 centre backs as I hope we do, we will need someone else in the box to challenge for the wing backs'' crosses.

Someone like Damian Francis or even Leroy Fer(though not them) perhaps Godfrey could do that job (not the one from Dad''s Army)

Perhaps this kind of player is the ideal replacement for Pritchard.

Think this topic should be "Jeromes replacement?" as he is far more likely to leave than Ollie. Our club seem over stocked with 2 strikers, whereas Derby only have 5 so are hunting Cam to strengthen their ranks....

Lincoln, youre excellent at making stupid points but thats all I can credit you with.

Did you not realise all the players you like, such as Pritchard, see us as a stepping stone? Thats how it should be if we''re targetting the right players. If we''re signing players who have no ambition above the championship how can the club ever progress?

As for Marriott, making him a success here would be brilliant. Didnt the scum release him as they thought he wasnt good enough?

The form Oliviera is in is similar to what Jerome was doing earlier in the season. Only thing is I think Jerome offers more for the team if you take scoring goals away. Hard one to choose one if you want to sell due to price, age and goals.

Ok Lincoln, you want us to sign players who see us as the pinnacle of their career with no ambition to get better or go to better clubs? Well that really is tinpot!

Like it or not, our best players are always likely to move on to bigger things at some point. Even if we were a Premier League club, Maddison would be attracting and tempted by bigger clubs. Its the cycle of being a football club. Even Liverpool lost Coutinho to a bigger and better club.

[quote user="STFU"]Ok Lincoln, you want us to sign players who see us as the pinnacle of their career with no ambition to get better or go to better clubs? Well that really is tinpot![/quote]

Johnny Howson

Andrew Surman

Andrew Crofts

Grant Holt

Wes Hoolahan

David Fox

Simeon Jackson

Russell Martin

John Ruddy

Adam Drury

Etc, etc.

This lot didn’t do us bad did they? All played for us at their peak. Is this the sort of tinpot singing you’re referring too, and that we need to avoid?

Oh yes Piggy, STFU does indeed get it.

Well howson, surman and ruddy all play at bigger clubs now and most of them played for us while we were in the prem. we are a level lower now so have to cut our cloth accordingly. I’d take another 10 hames Maddison level players even if it meant they all left us for bigger clubs. You never know, enough of that type and we could grow with them for a while!

TJ,

Surman and Ruddy were deemed surplus to requirements (foolishly imo), and Howson played at his peak with us from a young age.. He’s hardly used us as a stepping stone!

The truth is, it’s probaly a balance between the two. But it certainly Shouldn’t be accepted that the majority of signings are made based on future value.

As the above players have proved. There’s plenty of players from this level and league one that are prepared to play their heart out for the club and be successsful.

Once we start talking about our club as a ‘stepping stone’ I feel it justifys a certain type of signing, and almost devalues the club in some aspect.

I want to see a team built built. Not a side of shining individuals.

Jesus wept Lincoln, get a grip. We''re not top 4 in the Prem, of course players are going to want to play at the highest level they can.

Are you this negative about everything in your life?

[quote user="Ian"]Jesus wept Lincoln, get a grip. We''re not top 4 in the Prem, of course players are going to want to play at the highest level they can.

Are you this negative about everything in your life?[/quote]

You’ve completely missed my point, as usual.

I’m supporting the argument that there are plenty of players capable of being successful at Norwich that aren’t necessarily hot prospects with potentially high future sell on fees. Can Norwich in the championship not be the pinnacle of a players career?

Why are you deliberating twisting that to be negative?

So if Norwich in the Championship is the pinnacle of their career, you don''t fancy seeing us getting promoted to the Prem again?

I like the way Lincoln''s consolidating his position in the Pink Un''s top five most annoying posters.

[quote user="Fuzzar"]I like the way Lincoln''s consolidating his position in the Pink Un''s top five most annoying posters.[/quote]
[:d]

This Marriot guy that scores for fun in league one, can anyone tell if he would suit our style of play? What would be a realistic price for him?

The same with the other one from Peterborough, Maddison, who has about 20 assists already. Could they be a double signing? What would they cost together?

Going back to the ''stepping stone'' argument... It is entirely true that we could be seen from this persepctive by an emerging player, plyiung their trade at lower level. Exactly the same for a young, up and coming manager wanting a shot at better things or even an old, been there done that, kind of manager who is looking to revitalise their career. Do well at Norwich, a club with good support and facilities, which has enjoyed some media attention and your stock could quite feasibly rise.