Sign in to follow this  
Herman

Cyrille Regis.

Some sad news this monday morning. The great player, scorer of ''that'' legendary goal against us passed away at a young 59. A trailblazer. RIP.

Sad news, saw him score for WBA against us many years ago. A big strong typical old fashioned centre forward. The type who could run through a brick wall. He had to suffer a lot of abuse in those days.

How sad. Yes, saw him score against us, home and away. A beast of a player, and how he, and others, kept their cool , under such provocation, was amazing.

I was at school that day for some reason and can remember listening to the football reports on the radio. I didn''t like Cyrille that day.

Boarding School Herman? I thought it was on a Saturday, and also it was the 5th Round FF.

I remember going on the supporters train, and leaving all my food in it, so went hungry and thirsty , on the way back. Bad day!!

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]Boarding School Herman? I thought it was on a Saturday, and also it was the 5th Round FF.

I remember going on the supporters train, and leaving all my food in it, so went hungry and thirsty , on the way back. Bad day!![/quote]No, not at boarding school. It was extremely rare to be at school on a saturday so that is one of the reasons it has stuck in my memory.(We were setting something up in the school hall!?.)

RIP Cyrille. I was there the day he scored the only goal of the game at The Hawthorns that put us out of the FA Cup. It was MOTD goal of the season for 81/82.

A real trailblazer for black players.  Put up with, what no person should have to put up with, in the way of abuse etc.  RIP Cyrille.

quote-"TIL 1010"]RIP Cyrille. I was there the day he scored the only goal of the game at The Hawthorns that put us out of the FA Cup. It was MOTD goal of the season for 81/82.

So Til, if my memory serves me correctly, wasn''t there an away game at Oldham (?) the following midweek, and were you one of the (I think!!) 38 City fans who went to that, or did you know anyone of those , who did?

“Boarding School Herman? I thought it was on a Saturday, and also it was the 5th Round FF.

I remember going on the supporters train, and leaving all my food in it, so went hungry and thirsty , on the way back. Bad day!!”

Sorry, 5th round. Not completely a bad day as I found a bag of food and drink on the train which I enjoyed on the way home.

I remember that day, I was caught short on the train and had to have a wee in a drink I found on the 😉train.

Quite a sporting family.

Cyrille, Dave and cousins John Regis and Jason Roberts.

Maybe not a prolific scorer but certainly one of the best in the days of a big fella leading the line.

quote "FenwayFrank"]“Boarding School Herman? I thought it was on a Saturday, and also it was the 5th Round FF.

I remember going on the supporters train, and leaving all my food in it, so went hungry and thirsty , on the way back. Bad day!!”

Sorry, 5th round. Not completely a bad day as I found a bag of food and drink on the train which I enjoyed on the way home.[/quote

Ha ha!

I was at the WBA Cup game as well.

I was right behind the shot as it hit the net

I remember shouting to get him closed down as he set off on his run at the defence.

As soon as he let fly you could tell it was goal bound.

Without the net I swear it would have had my head off.

RIP Cyrille. Good guy.

A very sad lossRIP

very ''interesting'' story about a blacks v whites football matchhere

I recall being a young teenager watching WBA at Carrow Rd c 1980. The abuse Regis and the other black players took was appalling. Grown men, and loads of them , making monkey noises and shouting with veins jutting out of their foreheads. How me and my mates laughed and were impressed. Growing up in a almost exclusively white small Norfolk town our ignorance of others was, in hindsight, appalling.

I''m sure other grounds were no better but I''m ashamed today for my small part in what Regis and others had to endure at the hands of ignorant fans back in the day.

Just goes to show that we need to cherish life cause you never know whats around the corner.

Great striker for West Brom, Coventry, Villa and England!

Remember him scoring an absolute corker against us for West Brom in the late 70''s I think!

Sad news indeed, but it must be remembered that it was Arthur Wharton who was the first black professional footballer in the world and it was England where he plied his trade from as early as 1885 [Y]Rest in peace, Cyrille, 59 years of age was far too premature [:(]