Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Jerome to Derby

[quote user="Golden Coppel"]If we don’t sign a couple of decent strikers soon this window is turning into a joke.[/quote]Don''t you just wish you could support someone else sometimes?!

Bit sad to read this, especially for such a small fee. Admittedly doesn''t fit into our new system, but did very well last season and is without doubt a top Pro. Good luck to him if he goes, I certainly wish him well

Betvictor has installed us as 2nd joint favourites to sign Chris Martin.

One failing striker for another. But could re-ignite his career?? Not sure

Is there anything in this Chris Martin rumour or is it just 2+2? Would be more than happy to have Martin back. Good player

I''d rather have the player than a paltry £1.5m, more of a loss than a gain imo. End of season, then yes, but halfway through the season when there''s no guarantee we''ll sign a replacement and we''re short of striking options seems a bit strange.

I understand letting CJ hoi g to Derby...i don''t want Chris Martin would rather have a younger hungry player from either abroad or lower leagues.

It’s not the £1.5 million though, is it Captain Pants? It’s wages. If he’s on £20K a week, which isn’t impossible, that’s another million a year. Cam’s always been one of my favourite players, but if we can swap a rarely appearing, frequently injured player for a couple of Trybulls or Raggetts, I can see the logic.

The very best to Cam though, he could be in for a decent payday if Derby go up.

[quote user="Capt. Pants"]I''d rather have the player than a paltry £1.5m, more of a loss than a gain imo. End of season, then yes, but halfway through the season when there''s no guarantee we''ll sign a replacement and we''re short of striking options seems a bit strange. [/quote]

It''s not about the fee though is it? it''s about not being able to afford his wages otherwise i dont think we''d be selling. We''re likely to have to spend more than 1.5 on any permanent replacement even from the lower divisions who in all likelihood wont currently be as good (but hopefully has potential ).

With Cam off to Derby and Russ Martin having his medical tomorrow at Rangers there is hardly any of the old squad left from just 12 months ago, maybe Wes and 1 or 2 others...remarkable clearout following season after season of same old faces.

I too am very sad that CamJam is leaving us, what he lacked in goals he more than made up for with hard work, a great attitude, his ability to hold the ball up and his sheer determination to always do his best for this club

Will look forward to welcoming our new striker/s when he/they arrive

I''m also okay with this one, KC -- Cameron''s play is far too laboured where Farkes/German scheme of things are concerned and the latter gave him a fair crack of the whip.None of us will forget that Wembley goal mind [Y]

[quote user="Essjayess"]With Cam off to Derby and Russ Martin having his medical tomorrow at Rangers there is hardly any of the old squad left from just 12 months ago, maybe Wes and 1 or 2 others...remarkable clearout following season after season of same old faces.[/quote][Y]Should''ve happened a couple of seasons back and we''d likely still been in the First Division [Y]

It''s kind of a shame Jerome dropped off form this season as I reckon he''s exactly the kind of player Farke would like leading the line. He had a great match versus Boro earlier on this season but as usual just couldn''t hit a barn door.

What a bargain he was for £2m. I actually think if we''d have got him the season we went down where we were crying out for a presence up top we''d still potentially be in the premiership now.

I wonder who we have in mind to replace him? Surely we can''t be just going with Oliveira (who may yet leave as well) and the kids who haven''t even made the bench yet.

There''s supposedly that kid from non league Dulwich Hamlet we looked at but there must be someone a bit more proven surely, maybe that Spanish lad.

@Tetteysjig

Got to say I disagree there- Jerome just doesn''t suit Farke''s preferred playing style.

His strong points (work rate, running, aerial ability, strength) are all things that suit a team that wants to play much more direct football than we do.

His weaknesses (first touch, passing) are all highlighted by a team that wants to play short, quick passes in and around the box and his poor finishing is again highlighted by the fact we don''t create many ''clear cut'' chances.

He''s a great pro but I just don''t see him as a long term option for us and certainly not on the wages he''s likely on.

[quote user="Alfie54"]I would add another weakness, he can''t score![/quote]

40 odd goals for us says otherwise. Very good at championship level with tactics that suit him.

Love Cams, wish him all the best wherever he goes👍

(Get the hair sorted though buddy Chi Lites look ain’t good)

Good bit of business as far as I''m concerned. Hes 31, and only getting worse in front of goal. We got the best years out of him and he clearly worked his knackers off for the team which I will always be grateful for and scored some very important goals (Wembeley & Old Trafford) to name but a few. £1.5 million for a 31 year old who clearly isn''t fancied by the current regime, isn''t getting any better and on high wages is a good deal for us IMO. We do however have to replace him as we can''t go the second half of the season with an out of sought Oliveria as our only striker.

[quote user="lincsy88"]Good bit of business as far as I''m concerned. Hes 31, and only getting worse in front of goal. We got the best years out of him and he clearly worked his knackers off for the team which I will always be grateful for and scored some very important goals (Wembeley & Old Trafford) to name but a few. £1.5 million for a 31 year old who clearly isn''t fancied by the current regime, isn''t getting any better and on high wages is a good deal for us IMO. We do however have to replace him as we can''t go the second half of the season with an out of sought Oliveria as our only striker.[/quote]I would think the club are well aware of this, and have players lined up - just as with Raggett and thenothers who came in during the summer.What some fans don''t seem to grasp is the ''chain'' nature of many transfers.With Cam now gone we can move, however that may not be the case with the players we are looking to sign.Suppose Martin and Naismith were to leave this afternoon that would open up a opportunity for incoming players but again that may well be dependent upon how those players are seen.I am sure the club has targets and who they waant, but it is all too often like three cars approaching a roundbaout at the same time. Until one moves it sort of freezes.Come back on Feb 1st and then see where we are

Scores once every 3 games on average. I would suggest that not having any competition is one of the reasons the Oliveria is not performing.

A decent replacement is the very minimum Webber has to do in this circumstance.

Will do a great job for Derby. First rate attitude and great service for our club. Sorry to see him forced out.

Alright ''Hercules'' chill your beans mate. I am well aware of the ''chain'' nature of transfers, just look at the Marcus Edwards deal, Pritch out him in. I am just saying we need to make sure we get it over the line, we all know the track record with the NCFC hierarchy and lack of signing strikers!

Cameron Jerome has provided us with excellent value for money, scored some important and enjoyable goals (Boro at Wembley, Ipsh*t in Play Offs, back heel v Forest, opener at Old Trafford etc) and always displayed an exemplary attitude on the pitch through his desire and work rate.

It does feel like the time is right for him to move on though, he''s probably a high-ish earner and not getting enough time on the pitch. I don''t think he''s quite what Farke wants in a striker either.

As for Martin, I personally can''t see it happening. His wages will be at the higher end and I don''t think his work rate or attitude or style of play is going to fit with our current ethos.

1 in 3 is not a bad strike rate at all, especially considering how hard he works and the assists he provides.

I''ve been a big supporter of Jerome and wish him well. He''s been a great signing for the club, and unfortunately it looks like he''s a high earner we can afford to sit on the bench, especially when this is probably going to be the last time we can get a decent fee for him.

Oliveira has been, overall, no way near as good a signing as Cam was for us, and is currently playing with so little confidence and end product, we might as well have 10 men at times. Sad that some posters are putting that at the door of Jerome providing a "lack of competition", when he has been be by far the more productive player for us. It''s a certainty that if Jerome had missed as many chances as Oliveira has recently, and/or failed to hold the ball up as miserably as Nelson has in recent games, he would be absolutely pilloried by a lot of our fans.

Good signing for Derby, but if he goes we really need to be looking to bring in two strikers this window.

Many fans here will remember many CJ goals, but I remember this one while visiting Carrow Road. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6BZ9c0E6pE

[quote user="Ian"]1 in 3 is not a bad strike rate at all, especially considering how hard he works and the assists he provides.

I''ve been a big supporter of Jerome and wish him well. He''s been a great signing for the club, and unfortunately it looks like he''s a high earner we can afford to sit on the bench, especially when this is probably going to be the last time we can get a decent fee for him.

Oliveira has been, overall, no way near as good a signing as Cam was for us, and is currently playing with so little confidence and end product, we might as well have 10 men at times. Sad that some posters are putting that at the door of Jerome providing a "lack of competition", when he has been be by far the more productive player for us. It''s a certainty that if Jerome had missed as many chances as Oliveira has recently, and/or failed to hold the ball up as miserably as Nelson has in recent games, he would be absolutely pilloried by a lot of our fans.

Good signing for Derby, but if he goes we really need to be looking to bring in two strikers this window.[/quote]
Excellent post Ian.

[quote user="KiwiScot"]Many fans here will remember many CJ goals, but I remember this one while visiting Carrow Road. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6BZ9c0E6pE[/quote]

A superb nonchalant finish - if Hazard or Aguero had done it, Sky Sports would be wetting themselves.

Another of his best goals for us was actually disallowed, thank you Simon Hooper!

I still feel aggrieved but that wrongly disallowed goal v Palace! Would have stood up there with some of his best.

Can''t help but feel he would have scored quite a few more goals that season if it had been allowed to stand- scoring on his return to the Premier League would have been a huge confidence boost.