Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Are You a Happy Clapper Or A Member Of The ' Angry Mob ' ?

How dare people go to football and have a different point of view to that person that wrote that.

Amazing that such a big supporter is happy enough to divide the supporters into 2 completely different groups.

both phrases are ludicrous.

I am occassionally happy, sometimes angry, most of the time neutral but never aligned to any of the barbed sobriquets that proliferate.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Is it possible to be an angry clapper?[/quote]
I think it''s possible to be angry about getting the clap....

There are people that sit at the more extreme ends of the scale- people like Highland are permanently miserable, people like LDC are permanently positive to the point of delusion.

I don''t get the need to split fans in two- there are times when I think I could have been classified as a ''happy clapper'' and times when I''ve been in the ''angry mob.''

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Happy Clapper or Angry Mob? Which expression is ridiculous...[/quote] what silly thing to call those who are unhappy with things currently.......Hope this clarifies it for you Nutty.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Happy Clapper or Angry Mob? Which expression is ridiculous...[/quote] what silly thing to call those who are unhappy with things currently.......Hope this clarifies it for you Nutty.[/quote]Is ''nappy crapper'' ok? [+o(]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Happy Clapper or Angry Mob? Which expression is ridiculous...[/quote] what silly thing to call those who are unhappy with things currently.......Hope this clarifies it for you Nutty.[/quote]Is ''nappy crapper'' ok? [+o(][/quote]
Probably make them angry....

Well the whole ''pant wetter'' thing lost a good chunk of its power because those being accused of it kept turning out to be right.

''We''re sleepwalking to relegation under Hughton and need to change things!'' PANT WETTER!

''We really needed to strengthen the defense this summer, I''m just not sure this lot is Premier League standard.'' PANT WETTER!

''We''ve won 1 game in 12 and are leaking goals for fun, Neil needs to go.'' PANT WETTER!

Etc etc...

@Great Drinkell

I said that before but as Nutty Nigel (very correctly) pointed out to me everyone thinks they are a realist.

Happy Clappers,Pant Wetters, Nappy Crappers etc  are harmless expressions in my book and of course people may disagree but an Angry Mob build a picture of a group of fans about to breach public order and put other fans in fear of their actions. Burning effigies and pitchforks are the agenda of an Angry Mob as you well know Nutty and Lapps [:P].

Does anyone read that self promoting wannabe in the limelight egotistical blog bullshite anyway? Do you really care anymore what people write there than on here?

If you happy and you know it clap your hands!

We should be happy we are debt free and will have money spare to tart up the portacabins at Colney. Do it quick enough and any tax on potential profit can be offset by refurbishment costs of Colney.

Win win, decent signing on loan and in reality a decent championship squad with the removal of the bigger characters out, means probably a better more united squad to give this season their best shot, never know might just nick a top 6, could be our year to go on that last minute run!

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 17/01/2018 12:06 PM:

Nuff Said wrote:

Is it possible to be an angry clapper?

I think it''s possible to be angry about getting the clap....

Is that from personal experience Nutty? 🙂🙂

Not really sure what I am?

I cheer the team on during the game and make more noise in support than 95% of the crowd but I''ll also criticise a player I don''t think is putting in the effort and let them hear it from the stand, if I feel I need to boo the team I will just the same as if I think they need support I''ll give it in song or cheer.

I''m not in support of the current owners or the direction they are taking the club but don''t put any of that on the players out on the pitch they have no control of that and are paid to do a job.

So which am I?

Or is the idiot that wrote the piece just trying to label supporters good and bad because others dare to act a different way on a match day than she thinks they should?

[quote user="king canary"]Well the whole ''pant wetter'' thing lost a good chunk of its power because those being accused of it kept turning out to be right.

''We''re sleepwalking to relegation under Hughton and need to change things!'' PANT WETTER!

''We really needed to strengthen the defense this summer, I''m just not sure this lot is Premier League standard.'' PANT WETTER!

''We''ve won 1 game in 12 and are leaking goals for fun, Neil needs to go.'' PANT WETTER!

Etc etc...[/quote]Or only some correct only from time to time. A bit like the predictions of science-fiction writers (and one or two posters here with an undeserved reputation for rock-solid inside information). It gets noticed on the few occasions they get it right and the more times they''ve been way out are ignored.And often the claims of being right are dubious. Take Hughton. One poster said they knew all along he should have been sacked at the end of his first season! When we had finished a place higher than under Lambert. Because, this poster said, in what almost certainly pure hindsight, they could see he was going all negative in the second half of that season, and that would only get worse the next season.And the failed predictions/claims tend to be kept quiet about. Looking back to the FARKE OUT thread after losing to Brentford, there are about 16 posters there agreeing Farke should be sacked straight away, with a few saying Webber should go for good measure. A couple describe Farke as "a clown".I can pretty much guarantee that if Farke does fail this season and is sacked, almost all of those posters will crow about how they were right back in December, and how that is another sign that the directors know nothing about football and need to be kicked out (method strangely unspecified). I can also pretty much guarantee that if Farke proves himself, indicating the directors were right to show patience, then almost all those same posters will be odddly amnesiac about what they''d said before.

I''m definitely a strange combination of the two; very much dependant on how I feel on any particular day.Generally I appreciate and defend what I see as ''good football'': I don''t mind passing sideways and backwards or kicking it short from goal kicks etc and I am usually much more patient with the team than most of the fans around me when they are playing possession football. I''ll often be the only one clapping while everyone else around me is getting unsettled, presumably because they think we should ''get it forwards''.On the other hand, I get really frustrated when players don''t do what I think they should do; particularly when someone fails to track the run of a player they should be picking up or fails to move off the ball to create space etc. Occasionally I''ve been known to stand up and hurl an outburst at a player 100 yards away, much to the bemusement of anyone who can actually hear me.The main thing, though, is the general amount of effort on display. If the players are working hard then I''m on their side, but if they''re just jogging about or if they act selfishly (cough, Olivera, cough!) then I get really irate. Don''t get me started on when they substitute ''the wrong'' player...Of course, I mainly go to the games to let off steam so I''m normally looking for someone to vent my anger at. It usually ends up being the referee.

I think there were those on here who were critical of Hughton towards the end of his first season (not including me) and if you look back at the results, they had a point.  If we put aside the two wins at the end of the season for now... 

looking back to the start of January 2013, we started with a run of 6 games where we scored just twice, losing 2, and drawing 4.  Then we eked out a 2-1 home win against Everton before another 6 winless games including 3 defeats and 3 draws.

Reading at home was then key and we managed to hold on for a nervy 2-1 win otherwise we''d have been right in the relegation scrap at that point - as it was we were too close for comfort.

We then lost the next 2 games to mean that with 2 games left, we were very anxiously looking at the teams below us - I particularly remember midweek having to pay close attention to one of them playing one of their games in hand.  Fortunately WBA were safely mid-table and courtesy of the team opening up to an unfamiliar attacking style and some comedy defending we beat them 4-0, the only time all season we won by more than one goal in the league.  Then for the final game we had a trip to Man City who had just had Mancini sacked and has nothing to play for, and put in an amazing performance to beat them 3-2.

I think the most passionate City fan would concede those last two games were a surprising turnaround at the end of the season (I was present for both I''m glad to say !)  and thanks to those 6 points, we leapfrogged quite a few places up the table and ended up 11th, one place higher than under Lambert the previous season - although people who cite this always seem to forget that under Lambert, we actually got 3 more points than the following season (47 points under Lambert, 44 under Hughton) and had been effectively safe for quite a few games which saw him experiment with some different approaches (eg 3 at the back) and some genuinely "on the beach" performances by the players.

Anyway that''s my view - a bit of a hobby horse of mine you could say.

ICF, I agree, those 2 games (WBA and Man City) put a false glow on that season. Yes, the City result was a good one, but if they''d needed a win for a place in the Champions League or if West Brom needed points to stay up, they''d have been very different games. We might have still won them both of course, but I wouldn''t have put money on it.

The following season, with an abject run of performances and results around Christmas, should have been the time to sack him, but we waited until it was too late. Bizarrely we still get criticised in the national media for sacking him with 5 games to go, against Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea and whoever while in a run of dire form.