Sign in to follow this  
he

Nelson Oliveira

Did anyone see Nelson Oliveira run towards the manager waving his shirt and pointing at his name after the penalty shoot-out?

To be fair he played fairly well. Hit the bar, linked up play well at times. Wasn''t the worst penalty in the world either, and a good save on the other end

[quote user="he"]Did anyone see Nelson Oliveira run towards the manager waving his shirt and pointing at his name after the penalty shoot-out?[/quote]No, but i saw a player with his Norwich shirt on battling away the whole game.Whatever may have happened before he done himself and the team proud tonightShame you couldn''t do likewise

He did not play fairly well.

Vrancic played fairly well. Reed played fairly well. Wes "Rabona" Hoolahan played fairly well.

Nelson was average at best, and that''s being charitable.

It''s not his fault though, he is just not a natural lone striker.

It''s telling that Jerome could work hard, hold the ball up, bring players into play, and occupy two opposition centre backs at all time whilst getting minimal chances on goal, but would still be slated for not being able to hit a barn door.

Oliveira can give it the big ''un to our head coach early on in the season, shush the Barclay after scoring a fucking meaningless penalty (irony tonight big guy) and proceed to be a genuine donkey with about 35 seconds of quality in an 125 minute performance yet still be treated with sympathy. But he did hit the bar!!

I genuinely couldn''t give a shit if he has "magic in his boots" - work hard and do the basics, have respect for your management and team-mates, or jog on!

I agree, he was quite good and battled hard to night. Maybe not fair to give him stick about his goal celebration earlier in the season after this good performance. But he has a big ego, I have never seen a Norwich player take of his shirt and point on his name on the shirt in front of the manager and struggle to accept that kind of behaviour. maybe his penalty miss could make him get both his foot on the ground and fight about scoring goals and not make these scenes and instead work for the team and not just think about him self.

That was my point. He has behaved like an absolute ar se on more than on occasion before.But tonight he did not, and he now does look as if he is knuckling down to his job a bit more.We can dwell on his '' bertie big bollox'' behaviour, or take him as each game comes. I would prefer the latter.

You''re more magnanimous than me City1st. He did behave like a bit of an arse tonight by moaning at our younger players for putting the ball in quite the correct area, despite him not being there.

Absolutely not an out-and-out striker though, not necessarily his fault, but will certainly be borne out by Farkes signings this fortnight.

I thought he played well.

Put the penalty at a nice height for the ''keeper but he was tired and he''s not in goal-scoring form so I wasn''t surprised.

I think Josh will start doing that a bit more now he has Lewis to do the work behind him and Tettey consistently playing more often as well.

Tbh i felt Olivera was our weakest player on the pitch tonight. At times his lack of commitment and willingness to chase the ball allowed Chelsea to boss the ball around.

Murphy and Madds we moving around causing problems for their defence but he wasn''t even trying to get away from his marker most of the time so Chelsea just concentrated on our other 2 men.

Maybe if we can bring another decent forward in he will improve....but on tonights showing i cant see him helping us get goals soon.

He was average. Which is better than we have been getting.

Still selfish without the quality to back it up and poor at letting players get in front of him when being passed to.

But his last ok-ish performance came with the cameras on against Wednesday so not massively surprised.

Give him some credit yes he missed the penalty but did sprint to assist his defence on numerous occasions putting in more effort than we have seen in recent times

It''s funny to see posters who are driven apoplectic by the supposed reluctance of some to praise Vrancic yet apparently can''t recognise a very decent performance from Nelson without all these caveats.

How anyone can moan about anyone who played last night beggars belief!

I am among the first to moan about players but please just be proud I know I am

Yup. Had Grant Holt turned in that performance last night there wouldn''t have been any complaints.

He worked hard, got stuck in and caused them some problems. A couple of times he was selfish and maybe didn''t take the right option but there were a couple of others guilty of that too.

2 hours of football and his only touch in their penalty area came after the final whistle!

he played his part in a solid performance &it was far from his worst performance this season

It is another 2 hours of play in his legs and we have no alternatives for him for Sat - if tiredness is going to hurt us anywhere it could be here.

Incidentally people seem to miss that in this formation Farke is essentially asking him to play from the right wing- he''s not playing as an ''out and out'' central striker.

My biggest issue is he''s rarely ever in the bloody middle when we get the ball in good positions. Not really what we want when he''s our tall, leading striker. I''d assume that''s what he''s been told to do though

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Could be Watkins on Saturday?[/quote]Yeah, at least Farke now has an excuse and great opportunity to stick Oliveira in his best position as supersub, on the bench....

[quote user="king canary"]It''s funny to see posters who are driven apoplectic by the supposed reluctance of some to praise Vrancic yet apparently can''t recognise a very decent performance from Nelson without all these caveats.[/quote]
[:D]
Vrancic performed better than Nelson. He was ok but nothing more. If you can point to aspects of his game that made it a good performance i''d be delighted to discuss...

[quote user="AJ"]My biggest issue is he''s rarely ever in the bloody middle when we get the ball in good positions. Not really what we want when he''s our tall, leading striker. I''d assume that''s what he''s been told to do though[/quote]

clearly told to hang on the left side of the 3 cb in Azpilicueta maybe due to the fact he has quite a few assists this year maybe Farke wanted to stop the supply line?

I actually thought he linked well with Pinto at times. and tracked back on several occasions.....certainly not the worst player on the pitch. a lot of them were in Blue!

Last night I thought he linked up well, carried the ball well and generally was hard work for the Chelsea defenders. Made some poor decisions around when to shoot/pass but also came closer than most to scoring with a very well hit shot.

Agreed Vrancic played very well though.

I was actually slightly worried seeing Oliveira defend - he is a bit clumsy at tackling and last thing we would have wanted was giving another cheating Chelsea player the opportunity to practice their diving. I thought he was ok, but didn''t pull up any trees. What concerns me more is that the combination of Murphy and Oliveira isn''t productive enough and hasn''t been all season.   The one time it could have worked last night was when Murphy got near to the by line and just put the ball across without looking to see where Oliveira was - and you equally say Oliveira should have been anticipating where Murphy was going to put the ball - but the end result was a waste of a really good opportunity. Not on  the same wavelength, or maybe just a lack of awareness. Last night it took a central defender and a left back to show them how it is done! And it was a superb goal too.

[quote user="king canary"]Last night I thought he linked up well, carried the ball well and generally was hard work for the Chelsea defenders. Made some poor decisions around when to shoot/pass but also came closer than most to scoring with a very well hit shot.

Agreed Vrancic played very well though.[/quote]
I thought he carried the ball better than previously but I still think he''s not really fighting to keep the ball or keep in front of the defender when receiving a pass. His decision making is an issue but to be fair to him last season he was scoring from being a bit more selfish. Unfortunately he''s in awful goalscoring form and not playing well.
Like I say, he was better today, and i''m probably being slightly harsh because he was up against a decent defence, but I also can''t ignore that his only two fairly decent performances since his injury have come when the cameras are also on us.

I thought he applied himself well and proved himself to be a team player - weirdly, I had a feeling he might miss the pen, but it was a good save to deny him, so can''t grumble about that.

If Oliveira continues to work hard to be part of the team, I think he can do well - feel like he needs a goal to get himself on top form

I was at the game last night and thought he did well - very hard to play as a lone striker against a 3 man defense, not a lot of space to be found, especially when Bakayoko and Drinkwater both drop deep.

Nelson closed down defenders well, made good runs and tried to pull the defense out of shape. He dropped deep for the ball allowing Murphy and others to run beyond him, which is the usual tactic for a striker in a 3-4-3.

For me, Nelson is doing very little different this season, to what he did last season. He was always grumbling and moaning then too, but his more speculative shooting was hitting the net more often. Whether last season was the real Nelson or this season is more representative him is up for debate. You have to hope he finds his scoring boots soon though, or Norwich will continue to struggle in front of goal. Murphy needs to be much more clinical also and to stop shooting from ridiculous positions.

My main problem with Oliveira last night wasn''t the tracking back and the helping out, (though he could have perhaps pressed higher up the pitch a bit better, it often seemed like a token gesture but was looking knackered by then) but rather the selfishness. if he got the ball within 5 yards of the penalty box he kept trying to make space for himself to shoot instead of trying to use our other players around him. He does have a good shot on him but was never going to get through three Chelsea defenders on his own.