Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Penalties

Just thought I’d post how good our penalties were last night, even Nelson’s wasn’t that bad, just a shame the goalie went the right way for him.

No goalkeeper in the world would have saved Josh Murphy’s penalty - a superb strike.

Kante’s wasn’t far behind - unfortunate in so much that it was the only penalty that Gunn dived the right way.

Yes, I did think we took the better penalty''s but I think Gunn''s decision making was a little out or he would have saved some -- luck play a big part. 

It''s a lottery...always is...sad a game has to be decided this way...but there''s no alternative.

Good save by Chelsea keeper...not the worst spotkick by Nelson.

Don''t underestimate the class of the Willian and Hazard penalties...their masters in it...luring the keeper into moving first...

It''s not a lottery. Still have to take good penalties.

Chelsea''s were superb. David Luiz''s probably the pick of the bunch, to be able to hit the ball so well and cleanly with the speed of run up he takes is amazing technique.

[quote user="CANARYKING"]Just thought I’d post how good our penalties were last night, even Nelson’s wasn’t that bad, just a shame the goalie went the right way for him.[/quote] It did occur to me that might not have been a coincidence. Since we have had so few penalties this season Oliveira''s against Wednesday, which he also took with his his right foot to the keeper''s right, may have been the only one Caballero could prepare for. It was noticeable he had made his mind up and was moving as the kick was taken, or even a fraction before. And he went the wrong way for our other three, quite possibly because there was no footage of Maddison, Vrancic or Murphy taking spot kicks.

I think the xG for a penalty is just over 0.7 meaning 2 or 3 are usually missed in 10 attempts;

8/9 (0.89) scored is above average; that neither keeper really got close to 8 of confirms just how good they were.

Gunn had no chance on the pens, but we don''t have a great record on keepers saving them. From memory I seem to remember Green not saving one in his time here and only Forster being fairly successful (maybe 3rd tier pan takers to thank)...before that, Woods (possibly) or maybe even Keelan. Am I right?

You always know it’s game over when it gets to pens for Norwich (same with England, except vs Spain. Hope City play Spain).

However, last night they did so much better than I expected

I assume it’s just the two shoot-outs we’ve experienced in the club’s history?

I seem to remember at least a couple of league cup semis or quarters that went to penalties in the 80s/90s?

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]It''s a lottery...always is...sad a game has to be decided this way...but there''s no alternative.

Good save by Chelsea keeper...not the worst spotkick by Nelson.

Don''t underestimate the class of the Willian and Hazard penalties...their masters in it...luring the keeper into moving first...[/quote]There are alternatives. The ''one-on-ones'' that they used to decide tied MLS games were a great idea - at least it''s representative of a live footballing situation. Also, why not trial ''next goal wins''? In golden goal sides would just sit on it and wait for penalties, but if they knew the only way to win was to score an actual goal, I bet you only a tiny fraction of games would still be going after half an hour.

Golden goal was awful as everyone was far too scared to attack for fear of losing.

I like penalties but they''d be improved if they did them like they do in hockey- take a run from the half way line and try to score.

Goalkeepers today have a big advantage over goalkeepers of yesteryear because they can move on the line. This not only gives a greater spring to their dive, but offers them a greater opportunity to ‘put off’ the penalty taker.

As has previously been stated, recent Norwich goalkeepers have a shocking record when it comes to saving penalties, exemplified by Green and Ruddy.

Some keepers have a ‘presence’ or sound technique (not diving too early)when facing a penalty. As well as he played during both games, there was never a suggestion that Gunn was going to keep a penalty out.

However good you consider Chelsea’s penalties were, Oliveira’s was better struck and placed than Eden Hazard’s.......

[quote user="Rivvo"]I seem to remember at least a couple of league cup semis or quarters that went to penalties in the 80s/90s?[/quote]
We definitely went out to Port Vale in the cup on pens one year. My dad was working up that way so went to the game and i was really annoyed that he was going and I wasn''t.

[quote user="king canary"]Golden goal was awful as everyone was far too scared to attack for fear of losing.

I like penalties but they''d be improved if they did them like they do in hockey- take a run from the half way line and try to score.[/quote]To be fair, that''s what I said in my previous post - they did it in MLS and it was pretty successful.I also said that the reason golden goal didn''t work before is because teams knew they could just wait for penalties - if the penalties are taken out the equation and the ONLY way to win is to score a goal, both teams are bound to go for it. It''s in nobody''s interest for the game to go on for four hours. It''s a leveller - if a small team is away to a big team, they''ll play for penalties. If they don''t have that luxury, why wouldn''t they just throw caution to the wind and try to win it with glory?

I''m pretty sure we beat Chelsea on penalties on our way to a League Cup final appearance in the 70s. Time plays tricks with the memory but I think the one and only Kevin Keelan strode up and smashed one in.

I think they should scrap the extra time and go straight to pens in a replay - both teams don''t then have the extra 30 minutes of tiredness, risk of muscle injuries etc.

Would also alleviate the tiredness aspect of the weekend game - I worry we might suffer tomorrow because of our efforts on Wednesday,

I''m pretty sure we beat Chelsea on penalties on our way to a League Cup final appearance in the 70s. Time plays tricks with the memory but I think the one and only Kevin Keelan strode up and smashed one in.

I think time has played a trick. Keelans goal was against one of the teams in the Texaco Cup.

We beat Chelsea fair and square after the rearranged home tie.