Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

The chickens are coming home to roost

There''s 2 / 3  or possibly 4 / 5  matches left for him and make no bones the board will act (unless of course he resigns but I think he''s a fighter). Why?

1. Players will lose faith in themselves and the manager if results keep going wrong

2. Some players (Ashton a great example) have only known reasonably bad times under his guidance and he will be looking to leave given his self-belief and potential which he will not fulfill with us and it will then be hard to keep him

3. The board will not sit idly by - they have certain budgets to meet (though it will have have budgeted for mid-table no doubt) - but bottom 6 will threaten revenue

4. The good nature of the Norwich public will be tested (and is being now) and that all important relationship with the fans (and despite the spin that all organisations give to their customer base, I believe it is a real enough and is felt by Delia et al) will be in jeopardy

5. Worthington has had great board support for nearly 5 years and that''s a long time - it can hardly be seen as a trigger-happy board if it did the deed. I am quite sure there are talks right now on possible successors - life has to move on. Moreover, Worthy knows this (that''s why we heard last night the real Worthy and his frustration) - the chickens are coming home .. .and at present they''re restless

6. The longer this goes on - as I''ve hinted there are only a few games - the more entrenched it gets -many other teams have struggled. The NCFC board will not have planned on bottom 6 and its getting serious very soon, publicly supportive or not (they will never criticise after all - not our board who are professional people)

7. The unrest will spread and performances will not have gone unnoticed high up in the stands and in the expensive seats. People start to wonder. They will see the odd decisions

NW may be holding on at present, with the support of his players. I really hope he pulls it out of the bag and City go on a run of 2 or 3 wins - who really wants sackings just for the sake of it? - but lets just reflect a minute - whether we like NW or not - of course his decision-making and judgement is sometimes poor IMHO, but he has been a successful manager overall.  BUT ...his time may well be coming to a close.

NCFC is bigger than all of it and the nervousness and worry created by a few more negative results (draws included) about a possible life League One will see the end of him sooner rather than later. No organisation likes uncertainty. The board IS far-sighted I believe and we should trust they will show the judgement (ironically the type of judgement we badly need to see on the pitch).

Sunday? Ips***h 1. City 2.

steady on....

Lose at Ipswich = Lose the fans.

Lose the fans = Lose the players/revenue/board.

Board = Sack Worthy.

(Hope you''re right about the score prediction.

By God I hope you''re right.

Sonyc I agree with everything you said (have said pretty much the same thing elsewhere) but your final prediction causes me some concern - if, sorry....IF we beat Ipswich that will merely confirm NW in post. My worry is that a run of poor results will be punctuated by the occasional decent result or two and that the decision you refer to will not be made because ''we may have turned the corner'', or ''give him another few games''. The result against Plymouth represented a good first half performance but not a great one and last night we dipped even further. My only ray of hopw is that the players seemed genuinely happy and ''as one'' when they won at the weekend so maybe there is something that can be built on after all...........

[quote]Sonyc I agree with everything you said (have said pretty much the same thing elsewhere) but your final prediction causes me some concern - if, sorry....IF we beat Ipswich that will merely confirm NW i...[/quote]

breaker, the big worry for me is that City do beat Ipswich and the cracks are plastered over once more until we get another run of three or more defeats. An Ipswich victory is most likely to be the end of Worthy whether he wants it or not.

And ronbol, whilst I realise nobody is coming up with any real concrete suggestions for a replacement keeping NW in position seems to merely delaying the inevitable unless of course, he can really turn it around. There has to be someone who would relish the chance to get their hands on the squad we have.

Watford''s Boothroyd - would he come back given the way Watford are playing
Luton''s Newell - flying high in the Championship at present
Swansea''s Jackett - doing well in League One
Brentford''s Allen - also doing well in League One
Blackburn''s Bowen - although currently only assistant

Potential new managers;

Adrian Boothroyd - would accept that as Watford are flying high he does not seem likely BUT hes has moved fairly frequently since leaving City. I think he will leave any club if he feels it will be of benfit in his pursuit of managing at the highest level - a bit of a high-flyer methinks. Turning round City (with it''s excellent training facilities and good players) would be a real feather in his cap and if we did not gain promotion his efforts might be rewarded. Okay I accept that we would not want to lose him but he seems genuinely focused and motivated and seems eminently capable of transferring this to his players so if it turns around the club I would be happy with that.

Peter Taylor - I think we can offer more than Hull even in our current situation and he is used to working with top players in the England set up. His connections through the U21 team could prove invaluable.

Danny Wilson - his teams always play neat football and he has a lot of experience now. I think he would jump at the chance of working with City''s squad.