Sign in to follow this  
Capt_Canary

Angus Gunn

Positioning and handling is pretty immaculate. Makes the tricky look trivial.

Also, clearly saved Drinkwater''s early effort onto the bar despite Jenas'' criticism.

Would not be surprised to see in the England squad in a couple of years.

Best keeper in the Championship by a country mile. We''ll be very lucky to keep him next year unless we get a miracle promotion.... BUT he is a city fan, born and bred so he may decide he''s willing to stay and have a real go at taking us to promotion even in the Champs if he thinks we look promising rather than go to Watford or somewhere on loan. He''s still very young and has a lot of football ahead of him (especially as a keeper) and we''re a good place for him to be.
Slightly different but Jacob was off to Newcastle like a shot as that was his boyhood club. If Angus thinks we have a real chance at going up, then he might be willing to gamble on that chance of making some really special memories - World cup will be over - he can still have a season in the Prem before the Euros even if he stays another year. He made the England squad for November so although it''s a little bit less spotlight down here, it''s not really hindering his chances massively.
It is a longshot though, a massive one.

Massive shame and hugely frustrating that we couldn''t keep him on our books (not that I am saying that anyone is at fault). If Pickford is worth £30m I don''t see why Angus would be worth significantly less. Fantastic keeper. Even better than his old man I reckon and he''s still a baby in GK terms.

Sadly would imagine if possible they''ll loan him to a Prem club next time around if he isn''t needed for the first team

[quote user="AJ"]Sadly would imagine if possible they''ll loan him to a Prem club next time around if he isn''t needed for the first team[/quote]If they are to loan him out next season, you would hope they would take in mind Gunn''s views himself as to where he wants to be - he might, hopefully, want to spend another year here. That would be fantastic.

If Gunn seriously harbours International ambitions, then I cannot see why playing for a Championship club will do him any favours next season.

Man City have a dilemma with what to do with him. if they don''t play him, he''ll want to leave or at least go on loan to a EPL side.

Norwich City has done him the world of good, but he doesn''t need another season here to further his development. He needs and is plenty good enough to play EPL football, so I''m sure Webber is already taking about who is between the sticks next season.

Lets be honest, he has little to no chance of being Citys no1.

They have just spent a massive amount in Ederson (30mil+), and he is only 24. You would expect he is their no1 for the next 5-7 years or so.

I think we certainly should be having the discussion with City as to what their valuation is, and discuss sell on clauses or buy-back options. Staying at City could easily get him lost in the ''system''

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Lets be honest, he has little to no chance of being Citys no1.

They have just spent a massive amount in Ederson (30mil+), and he is only 24. You would expect he is their no1 for the next 5-7 years or so.

I think we certainly should be having the discussion with City as to what their valuation is, and discuss sell on clauses or buy-back options. Staying at City could easily get him lost in the ''system''[/quote]

Archant''s Michael Bailey has already stated that Norwich City will not be able to afford him. If you spent the Maddison money, yes, but I think this will more boil down to wages as I cannot see Gunn standing for a £7K a week wage cap.

He''s brilliant and I really appreciate how good he is, after the last few years when all the keepers we''ve had have made regularly mistakes which have cost goals.  I can''t think of any this season.

I guess there''s an outside chance we could persuade him to stay another season because he''ll be guaranteed the number 1 spot and because of his past connection with the club, if Farke can persuade him we will be able to make a realistic promotion push.  But chances are he will be loaned or sold to a Prem club I think.

Not beyond the realms of possibility that he might elect to ''make his bones'' for one more year here. That said, long way to go this season yet and a lot could happen between now and may. We''re probably looking at a similar finish to last season, with ups & downs before the end. A solid, calm & reliable goalkeeper is fundamental and I''d say we haven''t had that since ruddy got that injury. Agreed that Webber is probably planning for a replacement over the summer.

Re: komakino, you state this 7k cap for new acquisitions as fact. Is this the case? If true, does seem relatively low in today''s market for a team supposedly building for a serious promotion push over the next couple of years.

His dad said at the NC fans event last night that Angus wanted to play for Norwich in the Premier League. Said it a couple of times, from which my interpretation was that if by the remotest chance we got promoted this year, Angus would be back on loan next season.

The likelihood however is that he will be loaned to a lower PL club next year.

Which "lower Prem" team would take a chance on a young untested keeper as a first choice, when there are plenty of other good keepers available?

I think he''s top class, but I would be surprised to see him loaned out as a first choice Prem keeper. Can''t see him wanting to sit on the bench either.

He has been good, a bit too good really so I agree Man City will want to continue his development next season probably at a non rival PL club. I did wonder who Moyes was watching on Weds and Gunn would be an ideal replacement for an ageing and overpaid Joe Hart. Wet Spam would be a great move for him, loan or sale.