Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

The Webberlution... It's time to buy into this.

[quote user="hogesar"]I think some of us have been behind it from the start and despite poor runs and stuff haven''t called for Farke, Webber or whoever to be sacked. There''ll still be bad periods throughout the rest of the season i''m sure and the challenge is buying into it through those times, too.[/quote]

Spot on Hogesar 👍

DF has had to teach (a lot of) the team to walk before teaching them to run. You (along with others) have simply been mistaking a stage in the learning process for what the process is aiming at. We are now seeing real progress towards what has always been the intended style of play.

Whereas I could argue that you are mistaking one performance, a performance that many teams from lower leagues are able to produce against higher teams in the FA Cup, as a marker for the future.

I thoroughly enjoyed last night''s intensity and hope you are right. I just believe we need to see a sustained period like this before we agree the revolution is successful.

Many posters had us as world beaters in September and by November, the board, the management and most of the playing staff were hailed as worse than useless.

That is football of course and there is nothing wrong with that. Emotion, excitement, tears of joy and tears of despair are what make it so special.

I bought into the new order right from the start. And I like many others wondered if we had chosen the right people to lead the revolution.

I would love you to say I told you so when we reach the play offs. I would love nothing more. I am not saying you are wrong. I am just a bit willing to keep my counsel until we reach the promised land.

[quote user="Indy"]Who actually targets the players in? Is it Farke and his team who then put the targets into a list for Webber?[/quote]
Farke has final say but it seems to be that they work in unison. 
Farke brought Zimmerman and Trybull in here, not sure about the others, but it was in a recent interview with someone that Trybull came in on Farke''s recommendation.

Farke seems to have a bit of Ron Saunders about him. From Jerome''s interview.......

"The manager at Norwich (Daniel Farke) has come in with a different

philosophy. It''s in every day, with no days off, and British-based

players aren''t used to that sort of thing.

"It''s 10, 12, 15 kilometres you are covering in training daily, so as a 31-year-old, that''s not exactly ideal.

"But he''s a great, great bloke and he''s got a great philosophy in terms

of what he wants to do. Hopefully, the long-term project works down

there at Norwich, because it''s a fantastic club and the gaffer is a

fantastic guy."

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cameron-jerome-derby-county-norwich-1084374

Thanks, I’m hoping that Farke will get some decent funds this summer, if we can offload the rest of the high wage earners.

Looking promising.

i think that paid off last night as the team kept going for the full 120 minutes.Going back to when he first joined he stressed what he wanted out of the players - and one thing was total commitment. Something that may have been missing sometimes before ie the heavy defeats where the attitude appeared to be one of ''well we are going to lose so what''s the difference between one and five''.The old days of players having a ''lads knock about game'' in the morning then off for the afternoon have gone as well.It seems to be bearing fruit at last, and with a few more to come in, good younger players on the fringe there''s much to be optimistic about.

It should be noted that the selling won''t completely stop once the dead wood has been cut out of the squad.Fans need to realise that they got it wrong in the past, and that the Chase-Stringer type model that we are re-adopting wasn''t as broken as many had been led to believe.One of the main criticisms of Chase was that he sold off our best players to the highest bidder, and under Wynn-Jones we have tended to try and keep hold of our best players rather than cash in when their value is high.The post-Chase era was generally far inferior to the South-Chase equivalent. The recent situation is largely free from being clouded by exceptional issues such as the fire at Carrow Road, the rebuilding of a stand or the collapse of ITVDigital. And so the comparison is easier to make (even after accounting for the huge changes in football generally from the 1980s to the 2010s).The recent upheavals highlighted the weaknesses of the the post-Chase model, and left the owners with no excuses for not reverting to the mostly successful methods of the Chase-Stringer years (via employing Webber). In a couple of years time selling our better players will be to make the club stronger. Holding onto them for too long could potentially weaken the club in the long run.

I think you are overlooking the reality that players leaving the club is not something entirely in the hands of the club. Players will seek to move to where they believe offer them better terms (if only financial). The idea that we could simply dig our heels in and refuse is not viable. If only that it would make us rather a pariah club as far as developing players would see.Also the club has never faced such a huge drop in it''s income both in amount and percentage terms in it''s history.And because of TV money it never has had so many players with a high transfer value and a very high wage so I don''t think that any comparisons really stand up as valid.The model we are now following has been forced on us, just as the model to spend heavily on ready made players was forced on us by the need to do everything to retain our PL place.We are where we are, as much through circumstances as choice.

[quote user="Len"]It should be noted that the selling won''t completely stop once the dead wood has been cut out of the squad.Fans need to realise that they got it wrong in the past, and that the Chase-Stringer type model that we are re-adopting wasn''t as broken as many had been led to believe.One of the main criticisms of Chase was that he sold off our best players to the highest bidder, and under Wynn-Jones we have tended to try and keep hold of our best players rather than cash in when their value is high.The post-Chase era was generally far inferior to the South-Chase equivalent. The recent situation is largely free from being clouded by exceptional issues such as the fire at Carrow Road, the rebuilding of a stand or the collapse of ITVDigital. And so the comparison is easier to make (even after accounting for the huge changes in football generally from the 1980s to the 2010s).The recent upheavals highlighted the weaknesses of the the post-Chase model, and left the owners with no excuses for not reverting to the mostly successful methods of the Chase-Stringer years (via employing Webber). In a couple of years time selling our better players will be to make the club stronger. Holding onto them for too long could potentially weaken the club in the long run.[/quote]

You posted a week or so back that Wynn-Jones had right from the outset (ie in the late 1990s) deliberately thrown out the supposed Chase model of how to run the club, without an explanation. Probably best if you hadn''t now tried to explain, Len, because your theory really does not stack up. For starters the economic and financial differences between the Chase and Smith and Jones eras are so enormous, particularly in the crucial aspect of wages, as to make comparisons invalid.Secondly I am confused by this melange of events. The burning down of the  main stand was actually useful for Chase because it meant it could be replaced with the insurance money. It saved having to make a decision to knock down what was looking out of place because of its small size, and rebuild, especially to increase capacity, at the cost to the club. And the ITV Digital collapse came during the post-Chase era.In any event your main charge is not borne out by the facts. These are just some of the players we sold to the highest bidder when their value was at its upper level, going back right to the start of the Smith and Jones era and on to the present day:O''Neill, Eadie, Mills, Bellamy, Green, Ashton, Earnshaw, Snodgrass, Pilkington, Surman, Fer, Redmond, Olsson, Brady, Howson and Jacob Murphy,The only period in the current era when we have generally held on to all our best players was from 2009-10 to 2015-16, when we were starting the climb back to the Premier League and trying to stay there. And in both the two season when we got relegated, as shown, we offloaded high-value players.The reality is that Chase sold good players because - financially - he had to, and Smith and Jones have done the same, for the same reason. Necessity. There was no scrapping of some supposed Chase model.

My concern about the ''Webberlution'' (sic) is that players coming in and through will be on very low wages and there is a rumoured £7K wage cap in force for all new players. Some of the new German players were/are on as little as £3K

How are you going to promoted on this model? The better players will easily get picked off. It''s a non promotional model.

[quote user="king canary"]@Komaniko

The issue there then is not with Webber but with our owners.[/quote]

Absolutely. The majority shareholders do this club no favours. However, some fans are getting excited about what is in reality a severe downsizing project, but that fact has yet to sink in. When it does, things won''t be pretty.

Thanks for the link to the CJ interview Lapps, very interesting. I hadn’t seen that, even though it’s my local paper!

One quote which you didn’t give, but which caught my eye was: “No disrespect to Norwich, I could have stayed there and sat out my contract and maybe got paid a little bit more money.”

So Cam is implying he took a wage cut to move. His calculation may be that there’s a very good chance he’ll get that back if Derby go up, but it only increases my admiration for him as a proper footballing professional, ignoring club loyalties for a moment.

Since Christmas and my fourth match as a casual, I’ve found myself back to pre Chase days, not caring about the owners or what their upto, nothing I can do about it, so as today I watched from the South stand a few seats from a gentleman who was downing a few nips from a hip flask, I did note it took rather a large hit when Tettey made his mistake which made me chuckle.

Webber has done nothing to warrant any credit just yet, left us short in some areas again by trying to reduce the wages before covering the squad.

I really don’t care for our board nor Webber, but Farke I feel sorry for, as we did respond once two down! Not sure why the players feel the need to go a goal behind at home before playing football?

I did take note of a very astute comment by the wife today, our squad and system are set up for away games, we play far better when teams come at us, when we are at home trying to dictate the tempo we are so slow, sidewards, backwards and nowhere, until we concede.

[quote user="Indy"]Since Christmas and my fourth match as a casual, I’ve found myself back to pre Chase days, not caring about the owners or what their upto, nothing I can do about it, so as today I watched from the South stand a few seats from a gentleman who was downing a few nips from a hip flask, I did note it took rather a large hit when Tettey made his mistake which made me chuckle.

Webber has done nothing to warrant any credit just yet, left us short in some areas again by trying to reduce the wages before covering the squad.

I really don’t care for our board nor Webber, but Farke I feel sorry for, as we did respond once two down! Not sure why the players feel the need to go a goal behind at home before playing football?

I did take note of a very astute comment by the wife today, our squad and system are set up for away games, we play far better when teams come at us, when we are at home trying to dictate the tempo we are so slow, sidewards, backwards and nowhere, until we concede.[/quote][Y]

As others have pointed out we are highly unlikely to go up or down so it''s now simply waiting to finish the squad rebuild and see what happens. The rest of the season is about planning for the long term.

@Herman

So we may as well sell Maddison now as this season is a right off, bank the money and start the rebuild?

As fans is it worth us turning up if the club have written off the season?

Probably. But I don''t see us getting the £20m+ for him that many seem to think.

You can either accept that we are going through a massive change of direction as a club, a more self sufficient route, that will lead to more downs than ups for a while.

Or not accept it and go and do something else that is less stressful for you.

Or win one of the massive Euro millions jackpots.

I’ll take the Euro millions thanks.

I have never liked the “philosophy” spin and am still to be convinced Webber and his team are any better at spotting a player than their much maligned predecessors.

I am however developing a lot of respect for Farke.

Now it is very unlikely we will hit the play offs i do not want to see any more loans

we have enough in the tank not to go down but unless we have a signing in the summer clause we are stopping anyone of our players getting experience

take Cantwell play him instead of loaning a player for his position or strikers give our youngsters a go for the rest of the season instead of loaning a player from a PL team that might score one or two

Shock horror - one result and people go in the other direction straight away. And then fans dare to moan about the short term approach of football clubs!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Len"]It should be noted that the selling won''t completely stop once the dead wood has been cut out of the squad.Fans need to realise that they got it wrong in the past, and that the Chase-Stringer type model that we are re-adopting wasn''t as broken as many had been led to believe.One of the main criticisms of Chase was that he sold off our best players to the highest bidder, and under Wynn-Jones we have tended to try and keep hold of our best players rather than cash in when their value is high.The post-Chase era was generally far inferior to the South-Chase equivalent. The recent situation is largely free from being clouded by exceptional issues such as the fire at Carrow Road, the rebuilding of a stand or the collapse of ITVDigital. And so the comparison is easier to make (even after accounting for the huge changes in football generally from the 1980s to the 2010s).The recent upheavals highlighted the weaknesses of the the post-Chase model, and left the owners with no excuses for not reverting to the mostly successful methods of the Chase-Stringer years (via employing Webber). In a couple of years time selling our better players will be to make the club stronger. Holding onto them for too long could potentially weaken the club in the long run.[/quote]

You posted a week or so back that Wynn-Jones had right from the outset (ie in the late 1990s) deliberately thrown out the supposed Chase model of how to run the club, without an explanation. Probably best if you hadn''t now tried to explain, Len, because your theory really does not stack up. For starters the economic and financial differences between the Chase and Smith and Jones eras are so enormous, particularly in the crucial aspect of wages, as to make comparisons invalid.Secondly I am confused by this melange of events. The burning down of the  main stand was actually useful for Chase because it meant it could be replaced with the insurance money. It saved having to make a decision to knock down what was looking out of place because of its small size, and rebuild, especially to increase capacity, at the cost to the club. And the ITV Digital collapse came during the post-Chase era.In any event your main charge is not borne out by the facts. These are just some of the players we sold to the highest bidder when their value was at its upper level, going back right to the start of the Smith and Jones era and on to the present day:O''Neill, Eadie, Mills, Bellamy, Green, Ashton, Earnshaw, Snodgrass, Pilkington, Surman, Fer, Redmond, Olsson, Brady, Howson and Jacob Murphy,The only period in the current era when we have generally held on to all our best players was from 2009-10 to 2015-16, when we were starting the climb back to the Premier League and trying to stay there. And in both the two season when we got relegated, as shown, we offloaded high-value players.The reality is that Chase sold good players because - financially - he had to, and Smith and Jones have done the same, for the same reason. Necessity. There was no scrapping of some supposed Chase model.

[/quote]Bumped for a response from Len, given that he is putting this tendentious notion forward on another thread.