Sign in to follow this  
Petriix

Worst possible outcome

Great performance tonight. Bar a little bit of quality or luck in the final third we could have caused an upset.

But, playing most of the first team for 120 minutes, running themselves into the ground, giving absolutely everything and coming away defeated is the worst possible result.

We went through the same at Arsenal and followed it with a terrible run in the league. Chances are it will be difficult for the team to muster anywhere near that level on Saturday and this could kick start a similar downward spiral.

I''d love it if I turned out to be wrong; if this galvanises the team and gets them playing to a higher level. But it feels like we''ve got the priorities completely wrong and gambled what little chance we had of making the playoffs for one night of fun.

Worst possible outcome probably would have been a 7-0 spanking with injuries to Maddison and Lewis.

Made Chelsea look ordinary over 195 odd minutes, and they had to wheel Hazard out in normal time to try and win the match.

Nothing but positives to take from tonight IMO.

I''d say loosing by thre smallest possible margin to Chesea was the best possible outcome, as we clearly do not have the depth in the squad for an extended cup run against PL sides. We left Stamford Bridge and the cup with pride, in the best possible way. (Btw. in some cups we would have won by the away goal!)

We aren''t likely to go up or down this season ... it was worth the tired bodies to make a memory like that and add another impressive brick to what Farke is building.

The other side to it is that any potential signing - and I imagine there are several around Europe who''ve been scouted and are aware of our interest to some extent - will have watched that and almost certainly thought ''That''s a team I want to play for''. We''ve proven that we''re a team who can take it to the big boys and match them, that have the right mentality, and that have some very exciting young talents coming through and a coaching staff who are starting to get it all working properly; I suspect last night will really help us in getting a few deals across the line before the end of the month.

[quote user="andyc24_uk"]The other side to it is that any potential signing - and I imagine there are several around Europe who''ve been scouted and are aware of our interest to some extent - will have watched that and almost certainly thought ''That''s a team I want to play for''. We''ve proven that we''re a team who can take it to the big boys and match them, that have the right mentality, and that have some very exciting young talents coming through and a coaching staff who are starting to get it all working properly; I suspect last night will really help us in getting a few deals across the line before the end of the month.[/quote]Excellent point made !!

The OP is probably correct but I can''t say I didn''t enjoy it.We gave it a really good go and since the playoffs are 99% out of the window then why not?I expect we will pay for it on Saturday though.

Edwards and Raggett may need to be thrown in on Saturday if there are tired legs. Tettey and Reed should be reasonably fresh for the DM positions but other than that players are going to have to go again.

Wouldn''t have played quite such a strong team last night personally but respect that the manager did and he deserves credit for it. Just hope there is enough in the tank for the likes of Klose, Pinto, Oliveira etc for Saturday. The younger lads should be fine!

I really hope that this gives the team belief that they can produce the goods against top sides, so why not those around them in the championship.

The unnerving part is the bad run we went on after the Arsenal game. Although, with that experience behind them and Farke''s man management, I hope that it does spur the team on to take this attitude and application into the league.

One unknown is how individual players reacted to the experience.

Lewis must have felt that he is capable of being a Premiership player - bids coming soon? Several of the others must have felt the same, but I wonder if Klose could be more determined to leave?

I suspect that the commitment could have consequences on Saturday. One of the three central defenders clearly has a problem with his leg. Raggett to get a run out?

Will his misses hold up Oliveira''s recovery of touch?

More interesting is perhaps how last night could have affected Maddison''s price. He clearly found the speed of tackles against him last night cramped his style, and I didn''t think that he was anywhere near his dominant best.

In terms of energy loss, I think that the defenders will not be too badly affected on Saturday. Lewis seemed to have bags of energy, but it may be difficult to predict the recovery pattern.

It was the midfield which ran - Reed seemed to be permanently in motion, and he covered a lot of ground. His removal could be a sign that he was running out of gas! Vrancic seemed to pace himself better.

Let''s hope that Trybull will be fit for Saturday, if DF feels he needs to rest anyone from the mdfield, or on the left Steaperman could be used.

One good, I hope lasting, consequence could be a revival of commitment and hope on the part of supporters, and their trust in DF.

Can some people never take anything positive from a top performance?We gave one of the top 4 clubs in the Country a tough game and only lost on penalties. It shows that Farke is making some progress in difficult times for the club.

How positive are people feeling about that ''top performance'' now?It was ludicrous to play the first team against Chelsea and we have suffered today as a result. This was one of the defining games of the season: a win and we''re establishing ourselves as playoff contenders; losing means it''s season over.We have effectively sacrificed our season for a couple of moments in the limelight in the cups. Incredible mismanagement.

I must be the only one who doesn’t think the Chelsea game had a huge effect on this game, we were out thought by Wilderwho took Maddison out the game by making sure he was kicked from pillar to post. Yes others never performed to the levels of last Wednesday but they didn’t look tired just not too bothered till we went behind.

The season was over before Chelsea. No chance of promotion, little chance of relegation. That remains the same tonight. It was the right thing to ‘give a go’ at Chelsea. It nearly worked. But the squad is being razed. If any replacements come in they need to be up for a chump relegation fight next season, hopefully, not this. But ambitions and aspirations are being reset. We are not entitled to tier two football after all.

[quote user="Frank"]How positive are people feeling about that ''top performance'' now?[/quote]Still feels great. It was a great game and it felt great to be a Canary and all my mates and at work were getting behind them. We have been bang average and inconsistent all this season in the league and losing today feels normal. If we are good enough we will get promoted not use Tuesday night games as an excuse.

How positive are people feeling about that ''top performance'' now?

I give up. We witnessed at least 75 minutes of good football Wednesday against PL Champions Chelsea.

Is anyone serious that we should have thrown that game? Doesn''t anyone want to watch a good game anymore? Yes the league is bread and butter but performances like Wednesdays are what watching is about. Play in the here and now. Take each game as it comes. Worry when you have something to worry about.