Sign in to follow this  
Rich T The Biscuit

Renew or not renew, that is the question

Not trying to be controversial but looking for views about people’s view around renewing season tickets.

I’ve lived and breathed NCFC pretty much since I was born, I grew around players in the 70’s as my dad was good friend of Kevin Keelan so I’m certainly not a plastic, I didn’t go much in the 90’s as I played but I’ve had a season ticket now for around 15 years.

Every year I’ve felt enough inside me to want to renew, this renewal I’m really not sure and I didn’t feel that way during the L1 problems.

My biggest question mark is that I can’t see us going anywhere other than backwards now, money is key, the gap between the Premier League and also rans is getting bigger and we are now selling our best players to clubs that we really should be competing with but we are slipping further and further behind.

I’m sure I’ll get the usual calling me a pant wetter etc etc etc but I’m actually looking for some sort of meaningful debate on it (if that’s possible on here)?!

I''m not renewing but I knew that from the summer and it isn''t some grand gesture, just a change in circumstances. However events on and off the pitch aren''t exactly making me regret the decision.

I know what you mean about not feeling this negative about the club even when we were in League One though. I think for me it comes from a feeling that then you felt everyone at the club was doing their best to maximise our chances of success even if poor decisions were sometimes made.

Now it doesn''t feel like that. Not only are the owners seemingly unwilling to admit football has changed since they took over and sell, they have put long term plans in place to keep us non-competitive to give their nephew a nice gift. Under this ownership we''re settling and I don''t blame people for not being willing to spend the £500+ a season minimum it takes to fund it.

Price is key.

A price rise is simply unacceptable, given the direction of the club on/off the pitch, and what we already pay.

A price freeze is most likely, but nothing to be celebrated. It should be the bare minimum

Price decrease just simply wont happen. I think that next season it may be cheaper to be a ''casual'' ticket buyer instead of a season ticket holder

I probably will, but have considered not and going to a few home and away next season. No increase can be justified, and in reality there should be cut, however, this is unlikely. Some of our current prices are extortionate and unjustified, which contradicts the family/community club Delia tries to claim.

If they have the nerve to put the price up then that will make the decision for me.

It’s not about money it’s about value for money and can anyone say we’ve had that recently.

I find myself not looking forward to going and then when I get there I just sit waiting for the inevitable!?!? Maybe I need councilling more than I need football and might be better spent 😂

Of course I''ll renew as it''s the day out around the football for me that''s most important.It''ll be suicide if they increase prices and I''m hoping they forget any ideas of playing the old sympathy card to get a few bob to shore up Colney.Somehow I think they''ll still try it on one way or the other.

I know two people that have cancelled their season tickets during this season. Not known anyone to do that before, maybe just iscolated incidents.

"I find myself not looking forward to going and then when I get there I just sit waiting for the inevitable!?!? Maybe I need councilling more than I need football and might be better spent 😂 "

This was actually how I felt during the second Hughton season. I was living in London and motivating myself to get down to Norwich every other weekend was becoming harder and harder.

@Van Wink

All very anecdotal but the row of folks behind me used to be 5 season ticket holders- 3 didn''t renew for this season, other 2 talking about not for next season.

I''ve always renewed without hesitation, and I will do so this year if the prices are frozen or decreased. I only have (and only ever will have) one football club, and I get to spend quality time with my old man, so it''d be a real wrench not to be there for every game. I think the Webber/Farke project needs time, and am happy to give them this season and the summer to reshape the squad around the financial constraints that have been placed upon them.My larger concern is how the club can even continue to tread water at this level without new investment, and I still need a hell of a lot of convincing that Tom Smith will have the necessary nous and support to keep the club afloat. Deep down I think Delia and Michael know that if their current succession plan remains unfettered (or, indeed, is activated imminently), fur will start to fly among the fans and any remaining goodwill will quickly evaporate.

There is still a significant groundswell of support for Delia and Michael and rightly so. There is a relationship between them and the fans which is a great credit to them and the club. That closeness will not exist with young Tom.

I don''t know who talk to but noone who sits with or around me have any time for the board that goodwill went a long time ago. If the young pretender ever takes charge he wont last five minutes

I''ve been going with my Dad for over 40 years. But have to admit this is the first season I''ve felt like there must be something better to do on a Saturday afternoon.

And it doesn''t really make sense we have been stuck in the championship for years before and still we renewed without question.

Why does it feel so hopeless right now?

Casual match day tickets are now readily available, so if you miss more than 2 or 3 games a season there''s not a lot of point in keeping a season ticket on... that seems to be the situation some people (myself included) find themselves in now. When I cant make a game I struggle to GIVE the ticket away.

I''m massively torn to be honest and I resent the board and the owners of the club for the fact i''m even considering not renewing.

I''ve had a season ticket now for nearly 30 years give or take a few seasons in my late teenage years when I was a teenager and played sport at weekends.

I don''t live locally and have a youngish family so to be honest i''m not getting to enough games as Carrow Road to really make my season ticket worthwhile but i''ve renewed it year on year regardless because its what I do, I don''t want to lose my seat and to be honest its kind of "my" thing that I have resisted giving up at all costs.

People not renewing will obviously be counter productive in terms of reducing the club''s income in our new "self funded" era but by the same token I just think the owners and the board take our level of support for granted and/or see the continued high level of season ticket renewals as an endorsement of their ownership/strategy and I am desperate for the fans to send them a message that they take notice of. I can;t really think of any way of doing that other than not renewing and frankly i''m just really fed up with it all at the moment.

Will make a last minute decision as usual and will probably go ahead and renew. Maybe in a funny way next season I will enjoy it more if I go into it with no hope/expectation and just try to enjoy watching some young players come through the ranks with some genuine enthusiasm.

[quote user="Stone"]Casual match day tickets are now readily available, so if you miss more than 2 or 3 games a season there''s not a lot of point in keeping a season ticket on... that seems to be the situation some people (myself included) find themselves in now. When I cant make a game I struggle to GIVE the ticket away.[/quote]Sadly that seems to be the status quo among my friendship group too. It really isn''t the hottest ticket in town right now.

I''m less sure than usual - being from a bit further away there''s an additional time/cost commitment, and I (as we all do) have a million-and-one other things to spend the ££ on whilst switching to a membership.

[quote user="Van wink"]There is still a significant groundswell of support for Delia and Michael and rightly so. There is a relationship between them and the fans which is a great credit to them and the club. That closeness will not exist with young Tom.[/quote]

I don;t think the grounswell of support for Delia is significant any more although yes a certain level of support still exists and she of course also has some credit in the bank with many supporters which means things are unlikely to ever get really nasty simply because of who she is.

Tom when he takes over will be like a lamb to the slaughter if we are not doing well. He has no past credit to rely on, indeed quite the opposite as the idea of him assuming ownership is already unpopular before he''s even in place. It could get very nasty indeed if he takes control and we struggle.

I think one of the things that has kept season tickets sales high has been the waiting list and the perception that if you let your season ticket go then you won''t be able to get it back. I worry that once that feeling has gone and people realise there isn''t a waiting list that the number of non-renewers will rise rapidly. And I can''t say I blame them - I''m not feeling particularly enthused by going at the moment (probably for a variety of reasons) so might consider giving up my ST and buying casual tickets when I fancy going. I''m not sure if that makes me plastic or just pragmatic.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]I don;t think the grounswell of support for Delia is significant any more although yes a certain level of support still exists and she of course also has some credit in the bank with many supporters which means things are unlikely to ever get really nasty simply because of who she is.

Tom when he takes over will be like a lamb to the slaughter if we are not doing well. He has no past credit to rely on, indeed quite the opposite as the idea of him assuming ownership is already unpopular before he''s even in place. It could get very nasty indeed if he takes control and we struggle.[/quote]Surely he – and his aunt and uncle – must know this? They''re not totally oblivious to the fans, even if they can sometimes be quite patronising towards their naysayers. You''d really hope that they have already discussed this eventuality and have some kind of contingency for it.

Asking fans to pay for Colney''s refit won''t go down well, when they''re receiving £x million for players. I''d be happy for a proportion of the Pritchard fee to go towards that.

I''ll renew, this it the first season my son has had a season ticket with me - and its been a tough induction, but why shouldn''t he suffer like I have!