Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Ashley Fletcher

Well this is why I despair, utterly rubbish history, his scoring is utter tripe and failed at this level only scoring in league one with Barnsley! So we would pay a loan fee and wages for a player no better than Fonkue or Abrahams IMO.

I’m not being negative Lapps but I really hope not as I can’t see any benefit in it, why not just promote Abrahams to the senior squad and see?

Really can’t see why we would bring in an 22 year old who can’t score!

I know little about Fletcher and am not exactly enthused about him signing, but Fonkeu was released in the summer and Fletcher cost £6.5m. You would assume he is a superior player in some respect.

I can see the Edwards loan quality youngster with potential, but this lads failed at three clubs and can’t score, 1 goal in 32 games! I just don’t get it, hopefully just paper talk.

I’ll keep saying it, rather give Fonkue & Abrahams the squad experience and a few games giving them the experience they need. I’ll just say Lewis hasn’t let us down since making the step up.

Just my opinion.

Quite, mighty - Boro paid £6.5m for the guy so must have seen something in him; that others are interested should be considered a good sign but I confess to knowing little about him.

I don''t understand the ''not ready'' argument.

If they are not ready then they are already not good enough.

You don''t know if young players are ready until you play them and sometimes desperation forces young players to be given the chance ie Craig Bellamy.

This is getting a bit worrying, its as if someone has hacked my FM2016 save.

As Lowestoft town I signed Sean Ragett from Dover and snapped up Fletcher as well on a free...

All in League 2 I might add...

Heard someone mention Jack Mariott the other day, he scores for fun for my Lowe team as well including a bicycle kick......

I think we need to shake ourselves out of the mindset of judging signings by what they''ve already achieved in the game.

This is the new financial reality.

We are targeting young round pegs for round holes.

If someone like Fletcher suits Farke''s systems better than Cameron he will be a good signing.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]I think we need to shake ourselves out of the mindset of judging signings by what they''ve already achieved in the game.

This is the new financial reality.

We are targeting young round pegs for round holes.

If someone like Fletcher suits Farke''s systems better than Cameron he will be a good signing.[/quote]

I agree, however i do personally prefer players on the way up rather than averting a decline, it just seems to me they are more determined to make a success rather than waiting for something to hopefully click. Thats not saying this guy cant come in and fit perfectly.

This sounds more promising from a Leeds site.........

"Fletcher is lacking in goals because he is yet to be given the trust

to lead the line for a regular period at Championship or indeed Premier

League level, and having that confidence would see him bang the goals

in.At Elland Road he would be afforded Leeds'' main striker role,

with Lasogga struggling and Caleb Ekuban injured. Pace, power, know how

of the Football League and a desire to get his career back on track,

Fletcher will shine."http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/01/16/could-leeds-finally-land-long-standing-middlesbrough-target/

Well not too convinced on this. If it is just a loan why. Why loan a player with no track record. If it is a view to buying him be very careful. If Borough paid £6.5m last year then they will want at least half that back. For that you should get someone in the lower divisions who has scored a few.

Sometimes players just need to find the right club. When he was at Barnsley he showed he had a bit about him.

[quote user="Indy"]I’m not being negative Lapps but I really hope not as I can’t see any benefit in it, why not just promote Abrahams to the senior squad and see?

Really can’t see why we would bring in an 22 year old who can’t score![/quote]Because his wages are less than a 31 year old''s who can''t score.

[quote user="lake district canary"]As long as he bangs in a few goals for us then that is all that matters!

[/quote]The second clip certainly belies the image that the usual whiners are trying to portrayHe can run with the ball, and looks big enough to not be pushed around in a league that can be quite physicalAnd as we are playing more direct, through balls etc then this would seem to fit his style.Let''s hope the club can pull off the deal.

Our ideal front man would be someone with strength that can give us an out ball, whilst also being capable of playing on the shoulder for our creative midfielders to do the damage.If we''ve identified Fletcher as that particular piece of the puzzle, I''m happy to see what he can do.I still think we''ll see a Bundesliga experiment arrive up front for us this window, though.

[quote user="GJP"]Sometimes players just need to find the right club. When he was at Barnsley he showed he had a bit about him.[/quote]So did Marley Watkins.

If we are talking Barnsley I think Tom Bradshaw is worth a look.

Natural striker.

Their squad is strong so he might not want to move on.

They are also in a position to request big cash.

Huddersfield, Barnsley. What''s happening to us?

Fletcher is an odd one, was highly rated but never seems to have kicked on. Paying the amount Boro did for him based on nothing but potential was always a touch odd.

Perhaps it''s one of those situations where the player needs to be given a little belief and a solid run of games at this level in order to establish himself in a team. He appears to have the attributes to provide a good striking option.

Even at Boro there''s the likes of Assombalonga, Gestede, Bamford competing for a striking birth - and most of those have decent records at this level. I''d bet the vast majority of his appearances have not been starts so those stats can be a little deceiving.

I will however confess that I know little of the lad and all the above is wishful thinking!

Haven’t got a problem with bringing him in. If he does well and likes it here we do a deal, if not he goes back. It might just be the usual curse of YouTube but he looks like he can do just as well as Oliveira or Jerome

I agree about Abrahams and Fonkue. These (and indeed Cantwell) are not 16 year old kids. Chuck one of them on the bench and give them a go and see what happens. The crowd are likely to be far more understanding if we try and bring one of "our own" through than if we sign someone like Fletcher on loan (who has a questionable scoring record) and they flop.

I''d still like one more "oven ready" striker as a replacement for Jerome but I really do not see the point in loaning a young player from elsewhere rather than give our own young players a chance.