Sign in to follow this  
canarydan23

Vrancic

I''ve been a big critic of Vrancic this season and quite rightly so as he has been very poor at times!

That said in recent weeks he has improved far more than I ever envisaged, now adding the physicality and tenacity previously missing that had rendered him obsolete in earlier games!

That said his liabilities are still there at times, our style of play (slow build up, no width, don''t put the ball into the oppositions 6 yard box enough/hardly ever and all our forward motion going through Maddison) and tactics are very limited thanks to Farke.

I''m afraid that Vrancic is a major contributor to these failings and this style of football won''t get the team up the top of the table and god help us if we lose our "get out of jail card" Maddison!

Agree STFU ( and other posters)....you get (mainly) two types of posters on here. Those that have an inner critic that always aligns itself to failure and those who are more accepting of themselves. The first type constantly finds fault in lots of things, the second tolerates. Some of the perennial critical voices on this forum then cannot help find fault with players and other posters. There is little you can do but not read or respond if you don''t like a thread ....and that is why my post count is so low over many years and I''m a daily visitor at least.

As for Vrancic, he has moments of sublime skill in his locker. He is not the midfield terrier / headless chicken type. But then, you can criticise anybody....Oliveira with so few goals in many, many matches. One could go on. But won''t.

It''s pretty obvious Herman-the default logic is that the manager doesn''t know what he''s doing, therefore they have to twist their opinions to match that logic :-)

[quote user="STFU"]It''s pretty obvious Herman-the default logic is that the manager doesn''t know what he''s doing, therefore they have to twist their opinions to match that logic :-)[/quote] [Y] In some cases, one in particular, based on a real fear that Farke and Webber actually do know what they''re doing! 

Fair play to him, I’ve ipenly been very critical of him at points this season, but he’s starting to settle in and offers us something a bit different in there. His weaknesses remain but his plus points are getting better.

"His weaknesses remain but his plus points are getting better.''

He really should work on his weaknesses as well as improving his plus points. He''s going to become very imbalanced if he''s not carefull!🧐

Almost like he needed more than 45 minutes to adapt to a new country, new league, new coaching staff, and new style of football.

Who would have thought it?

["Ian"]Almost like he needed more than 45 minutes to adapt to a new country, new league, new coaching staff, and new style of football.

Who would have thought it?

Come on be realistic, in many games this season he''s been s hite, end of story!

Though he''s got much better recently and lets hope that continues and the likes of myself who''ve openly criticised him can eat their words!

Exactly Kingsway. He had a very poor start to the season and for much longer than 45 minutes and thank goodness he has started to improve. We certainly need him to be a productive part of the squad.

[quote user="kingsway"] Come on be realistic, in many games this season he''s been s hite, end of story!

Though he''s got much better recently and lets hope that continues and the likes of myself who''ve openly criticised him can eat their words![/quote] Maybe you could make a start by eating that highlighted sentence? Either that or tell us how many and which ones in particular? 

Westcoast, there were some matches we were losing and Vrancic didnt lose tactical discipline and run all over the pitch achieving nothing.

Ill take a punt its those games...

The point is I don''t think anyone said he was a world-beater during his first dozen appearances, just that he was being unfairly criticised. I distinctly remember posts talking about how we''ve never won a game with him starting, how he was the most useless player in the squad and so on.

It wasn''t just online either. Can''t remember the game, but I had a bit of a "discussion" with one of the guys who sits behind me at Carrow Road who was absolutely slating him, when he actually contributed a lot more than other players in said match.

Kingsway, being realistic would be understanding that players are invariably going to take time to settle in to a new squad/country/league/style of football. Combine those factors and it''s not surprising that Vrancic started slowly. Writing a player off before giving them time to settle doesn''t make you realistic, it makes you a poor judge of footballer.

I personally think he will go from strength to strength from here on in, and hopefully fans who are already haters will be able to admit bad judgement rather than turn him into the new Russell Martin.

I get that a lot expect "instant success" and feel that we have some sort of entitlement to a top 6 finish, but it''s fairly obvious that this has been a huge transitional period for the club, that is finally starting to take a bit of shape. Mario Vrancic is aptly symbolic of this process, and long may his and the clubs performances continue to improve.

He was fairly shit in a few games earlier this season.

He''s been fairly good in the last few games.

I don''t think that is hugely controversial- his upturn in form doesn''t mean it was wrong to say he wasn''t playing well in previous games.

["Ian"]The point is I don''t think anyone said he was a world-beater during his first dozen appearances, just that he was being unfairly criticised. I distinctly remember posts talking about how we''ve never won a game with him starting, how he was the most useless player in the squad and so on.

It wasn''t just online either. Can''t remember the game, but I had a bit of a "discussion" with one of the guys who sits behind me at Carrow Road who was absolutely slating him, when he actually contributed a lot more than other players in said match.

Kingsway, being realistic would be understanding that players are invariably going to take time to settle in to a new squad/country/league/style of football. Combine those factors and it''s not surprising that Vrancic started slowly. Writing a player off before giving them time to settle doesn''t make you realistic, it makes you a poor judge of footballer.

I personally think he will go from strength to strength from here on in, and hopefully fans who are already haters will be able to admit bad judgement rather than turn him into the new Russell Martin.

I get that a lot expect "instant success" and feel that we have some sort of entitlement to a top 6 finish, but it''s fairly obvious that this has been a huge transitional period for the club, that is finally starting to take a bit of shape. Mario Vrancic is aptly symbolic of this process, and long may his and the clubs performances continue to improve.

After 40+ years of following Norwich City at over 100 different grounds all over Britain, Europe and Malaysia, following football in general and playing at a good local level in my younger days, I''ve got every faith in my judgement of a Norwich players abilities!

Vrancic was a complete liability in more than a few games earlier this season but has improved greatly in the past 6-8 weeks. Instant success would be nice but I''m well aware of the "graveyard" that is the Championship to clubs who think they should be at a higher level, particularly when blooding foriegners who''ve never played here before!

Like I said earlier, I appreciate that Vrancic has improved and I''ve said he can play a good pass but even now after the improvement I still think he''s not tenacious and physical enough to be a successful player in a top 6 or higher Championship team!

[quote user="kingsway"]

Like I said earlier, I appreciate that Vrancic has improved and I''ve said he can play a good pass but even now after the improvement I still think he''s not tenacious and physical enough to be a successful player in a top 6 or higher Championship team![/quote]

Well I look at it like this. Vrancic started from a point of not adapting to the league and has spent time learning and getting better at what is required.  So who is to say he can''t carry on improving and getting better and better?   What is the limit to a player''s ability to improve? I''ve always seen something of an Ian Crook in him - vision, superb passing ability and excellent dead ball skills - and desire to be the best he could be for the team.  I think Vrancic has answered his critics and has shown he has all the above attributes - and that for me means he will only get better and better...much like Ian Crook did.  So I don''t go along with the "he''s got better but I still don''t think he''s good enough"  idea. I see a player who is answering his critics in the best possible way - on the pitch and on an upward curve. How far can he get even better? Who knows, but I wouldn''t mind betting he will improve more and more. A quality player proving he has the character to adapt and learn.