Sign in to follow this  
Keith Scott

Maddison to be sold before window shuts

Sold the greatest centre forward in our history? More like gave him away. Newcastle United signed Wynn Davies from Wrexham for £100000 a few weeks before we gave Big Ron away to Southampton for £60000. Our BODs tend to be pretty consistent in undervaluing players with the odd exception like Chris Sutton.

Yes, Ron was one of many but as regards fee probably the worse bit of business ever. A ludicrous fee for one of the best centre forwards of his era.

Alas we are doomed to be prey more often than preditor.

I’m all for a maximum of 30 player squads and the rest to be released into the pool! This would stop so many players being snapped up only to sit in the development premiership squads.

Only other players from the youth system thus encouraging more young talent to push on.

Never happen but maybe one day.

Keith called me all the names under the sun at the start of the season for daring to doubt Nelson Oliviera.

So seeing how thats panned it out its probably a good idea to take anything he says with a pinch of salt.

I think Maddison is a very good player.

But I think when people say things like they have to remind themselves about how young he is is is a bit naff.

He''s already 21. How many of the best players in the world are unheard of at 21?

Not that he is one of the best players in the world. But by that age most players have proven themselves.

Talksport mentioned his stats on assists and goals today as the best in Europe, and the fact that he wears no. 23....... Beckham''s number.  I do wish they wouldn''t keep publicising this.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]Sold the greatest centre forward in our history? More like gave him away. Newcastle United signed Wynn Davies from Wrexham for £100000 a few weeks before we gave Big Ron away to Southampton for £60000. Our BODs tend to be pretty consistent in undervaluing players with the odd exception like Chris Sutton.[/quote]we well undervalued Maddison when we bought him

[quote user="GJP"]I think Maddison is a very good player.

But I think when people say things like they have to remind themselves about how young he is is is a bit naff.

He''s already 21. How many of the best players in the world are unheard of at 21?

Not that he is one of the best players in the world. But by that age most players have proven themselves.[/quote]

Harry Kane started his first Prem match for Spurs just 3 months before his 21st birthday-I''m sure he was probably unheard of to most people until the following season.

[quote user="STFU"][quote user="GJP"]I think Maddison is a very good player.

Not that he is one of the best players in the world. But by that age most players have proven themselves.[/quote]

Harry Kane started his first Prem match for Spurs just 3 months before his 21st birthday-I''m sure he was probably unheard of to most people until the following season.[/quote]He was definitely not unheard of! Was doing well at youth level for England and touted by Spurs for ages as their ''next big thing''!

Most talented footballers will want to play at the highest level and I am sure Maddison falls into that category. At present he seems happy being a key player for Norwich and you cannot deny his commitment to the club. He will be in the shop window on Wed when he plays at Chelsea in the televised game, and his talents will be seen by millions of viewers. I would love him to stay and further improve as a player at Norwich, but if a big club comes in for him we should not hold him back.

[quote user="hampton canary"]Most talented footballers will want to play at the highest level and I am sure Maddison falls into that category. At present he seems happy being a key player for Norwich and you cannot deny his commitment to the club. He will be in the shop window on Wed when he plays at Chelsea in the televised game, and his talents will be seen by millions of viewers. I would love him to stay and further improve as a player at Norwich, but if a big club comes in for him we should not hold him back.[/quote]

Liverpool and Tottenham are eyeing him up - but with the summer in mind. I guess one of them could commit to buying him now, but allowing him to finish the season with us first - and I can''t see the club sanctioning him moving before the end of the season.  Tbh I can''t see Maddison wanting to leave mid season anyway, he seems to have a very good head on his shoulders and knows what he wants.

I really do see him at the very top of the English game in 2 or 3 three years if his development continues. His next move is really important though - going to a top 6 side will stunt that growth as he''s not going to replace a player like Alli, Hazard, Sane/Salah, De Bruyne, Silva etc.

Yes, he''ll get more games by going to West Brom, Swansea, Southampton or West Ham, but I believe he''d only end up moving on in 2 years. And I can''t see those last 4 clubs stumping up £20m for him, which I think we should be holding out for. Everton might though...

To go back to the OP: I''m afraid you''re prediction is going to be correct... This will be a kick up the @rse for us , a real sickener :-(

I can follow the comments about him staying till the end of the season, but I don''t think he will if he''s snapped up by Tottenham and given a nice few quid...

The loan-back idea makes sense - the buying club still gets their man and Maddison isn''t going to walk into a Prem team just yet.

Spurs would be a great club for him, he wouldn''t get lost in the ''system'' like he could at a Chelsea/Man City etc and would stand a real chance of making an impact.

Now, hypothetical question time. We sell Maddison in January to Spurs, loan him back, go on a great run and get promoted via the playoffs. Maddison controls the game at Wembley, sticks one in the top corner & wins us promotion. Do we try & buy him back?

[quote user="lincoln canary"]I think its quite clear he''s going to end up at Spurs.

It''s just a case of when. My prediction is Spurs will be forced to move before the end of Jan due to the increased level of interest from other clubs.[/quote]

The question is, would Maddison get into their first team straight away and would he want to go there to sit on the bench most of the rest of this season when he is having such a good season here.  I still think the most likely outcome is a January agreement with Spurs and that he finishes the season with us. Maddison has a good head on him and while he will want to move on, he has shown he wants to play and he regards that as very important to his development.  Tottenham aren''t winning the league this season and Maddison would be cup tied, so there is no rush for him to move.  So if the agreement is in place, Tottenham know they are getting a class act for next season, we know we are going to get good money for him - and he gets to play first team football for the rest of the season, it keeps the fans happy and the board some breathing space from further criticism.It works for all parties!  

I''m sure it will have come to many as a shock that Maddison might one day leave Norwich City. I can only assume that the poor lad has been offered up for sale by our incompetent an greedy board.What other club has sold one of their brightest talents (apart from Coventry) ?Or York with Godfrey, perhaps

"The loan-back idea makes sense - the buying club still gets their man and Maddison isn''t going to walk into a Prem team just yet.

Spurs would be a great club for him, he wouldn''t get lost in the ''system'' like he could at a Chelsea/Man City etc and would stand a real chance of making an impact.

Now, hypothetical question time. We sell Maddison in January to Spurs, loan him back, go on a great run and get promoted via the playoffs. Maddison controls the game at Wembley, sticks one in the top corner & wins us promotion. Do we try & buy him back? "

No (love this antiquated forum software. It''s brilliant)

Would a player still play with the same level of commitment though if they have effectively already "moved on."

Not so convinced these "loan back" arrangements really work that well but I guess it depends on the player.

Club need to make sure they don;t sell too early. Would only sell in January for really silly money, even with a loan back.

If he was sold this window, loaned back and we sneaked up then we could possibly get him on loan again.

However if someone signs him in the summer and we''re still Championship level I reckon any loan will be to a Premier League team.

I''m not keen on the idea of a loan back, if we sell get the next prospect into place. If the club are going to operate on selling talent as the main means of income in the future, we are just clogging the system up for the remainder of the season. Hopefully not selling though.

He''s obviously destined for greater things than NCFC, it''s just a question of which of the bigger clubs is going to stump up the cash to land him.

He went to Aberdeen because he didn''t want to bench warm at Norwich and he turned down a loan extention because he felt he was ready for our first team, so he is either being advised well or making the right calls for himself. I don''t think he will be adverse to loaning back to NCFC in order to get game time and develop himself further, especially with an old pro like Wes to learn from here. So fingers crossed and hope he is here until end of season and we get serious money for him

Yeah, and a good advert for other young talent, come to Norwich to develop your career and get spotted by one of the big six clubs.

"if a big club comes in for him we should not hold him back"

"hope he is here until end of season and we get serious money for him"

Can I just say that I will not be happy to see him go after less than 50 games for us and getting £20m does not make me happy either... I think a lot of you need to be following the stock exchange not a football club....