Sign in to follow this  
super dave

Russell Martin

He''s been talking to the fans in the terrace today. Says that he won''t be involved under farke again. Will go out on loan, there''s a plan in place for him to be involved with the club after his playing days are over and that Hanley will be a future club captain. Maddison will stay till at least the summer.

Hanley is an obvious captain.

Doesn’t make sense to ship out Pritchard and Maddison in January, think Klose and Oliveira are much more likely to leave

Be good to have him back in a coaching role and agree he is the model pro. Too slow for RB and not strong enough in the air.

A little concerned at the Hanley comment. Solid in the air butt Martin is the superior player, which is a worry as Hanley switches off too often for me. Would prefer us to be working towards a raggett Zimmermann pairing next season. And where does that leave Ivo. Another summer departed?

He''s given good unstinting service to the club (whilst being well paid, of course) despite being horribly scapegoated by some; he''ll be very welcome back in whatever capacity it may be

[quote user="Zimmers Left Foot"]A little concerned at the Hanley comment. Solid in the air butt Martin is the superior player, which is a worry as Hanley switches off too often for me. Would prefer us to be working towards a raggett Zimmermann pairing next season. And where does that leave Ivo. Another summer departed?[/quote]Arguably it''s more of a reflection that Hanley is affordable next season, whereas the likes of Klose and  Pinto aren''t.

[quote user="Icecream Snow"][quote user="Zimmers Left Foot"]A little concerned at the Hanley comment. Solid in the air butt Martin is the superior player, which is a worry as Hanley switches off too often for me. Would prefer us to be working towards a raggett Zimmermann pairing next season. And where does that leave Ivo. Another summer departed?[/quote]Arguably it''s more of a reflection that Hanley is affordable next season, whereas the likes of Klose and  Pinto aren''t. [/quote]
Klose probably isn''t affordable - but we''ve already got Raggett in for that eventuality... Wouldn''t think Pinto is over our wage budget though - He was playing for Dinamo Zagreb and we only paid a couple of mill for him. Would be surprised if he was a particularly high earner.

Very professional in his interview with Jake before the game, thought it was sad when he said ''''this is the busiest I''ve been on a Sat for ages '''' Confirmed he''d be going out on loan as needed to be playing and then would see how things were

Excellent pro, and loyal to the club. Always appears well respected by players, coaches, and the community.

The equaliser at Anfield summed up his professionalism and love for the club.

Whilst I won''t miss him as a player, I think he''s a magnificent person and I''m glad to hear he will return to the club after he retires from playing. Presumably he''ll return as a coach? Absolute model of professionalism and always comes across as intelligent and articulate in interviews. Missed the one earlier but understand he said he''s off on loan so wish him all the best.

Can’t see why the club will find RM a role when he retires when a former captain who nearly single handily dragged the club from oblivion was not offered a role. (Grant Holt)

Grant holt has said on numerous occasions that he will start coaching when his playing days end

and that he wants to play for as long as possible at the highest level he can

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]Russell Martin has done most of his coaching badges and grant holt hasn''t, when you give someone a job as coach it''s best to make sure they have the correct qualifications to do the job[/quote]?? Grant Holt has his badges - finished his EUFA A Licence coaching qualifying last year, hence his move to Barrow as player/coach.  

I personally disagree with Farkes treatment of Russell Martin since the Millwall debacle cause he was far from being our worst player that day.

That said, though if Martins not going to feature now then for the sake of relieving the club of most or all of the surely highest earner Martins wages will beneficial!

When Martin does go we will need another rightback cause that leaves Pinto as our only player in that position!

Echo the sentiments of all who''ve praised his professionalism. While he wasn''t very good these last couple of seasons he didn''t deserve the level of stick he got.

However the club doesn''t owe Martin, or any ex player a job once he''s retired. If he''s a good coach then great but we saw the collective shitfit that got thrown on here after Hucks was let go- sometimes having beloved ex players on the staff isn''t the best idea.

king canary,

I very much doubt RM believes he is owed a job (not that you said he did), however it may be the club have seen enough of his ability off the field to fully expect him to become a very good Coach/Manager and why not capitalise on that here.

I suspect he is about to do his Pro license and possibly even a Masters in Football Club Management (Webber''s/Stones'' roll). Now that could be interesting!

This might also have something to do with why he might be suitable for a role at the club

http://www.russellmartinfoundation.co.uk/

Be surprised if the link works so someone might be able to make it clicky

RM is a smart, articulate, genuine and dignified individual......As some have said and I also concur is a model professional......Unfortunately that as player/captain of NCFC his time here is coming to an end......Whatever the future holds for RM, I thank and wish him well, for his commendable contribution and total commitment to the club.....

Of course he''s been promised a role/career at the club when his playing days are over, can''t miss the gravy train.