Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Kenny MacLean

[quote user="Rich T The Biscuit"]Didn’t make sense to me, we have Godfrey and Thompson to return from loan and injury, is he a Maddison type player?[/quote]No.

Paying ÂŁ200k would make sense if we weren''t loaning him back.

Why on earth are we paying for a player out of contract in the summer to join us...in the summer?

Ron is spot on - If it prevents a player we want signing elsewhere, ÂŁ200k is nothing much and who is to say we aren''t saving more in salary than we might''ve paid him.

Apparently he hasnt had a great season so far according to some of their fans.

Anyway, I still don''t get this 200k and loan back deal. His contract is up in the summer so why couldn''t we just sign him on a pre contract agreement now and pay nothing?

He''s obviously a player that Webber sees as a good fit and it''s what we''ve had to pay, and arrange, to ensure that he comes to Carrow Road in the summer.

It''s what we needed to offer to ward off Rangers.

Can''t see the confusion about this.

Can we do that without paying his club something hogesar? Not sure how it works TBH.

Thing is, he''s now committed at little cost. He can''t change his mind halfway down the A1 :-)

I thought we could because hes not playing in England but I could well be wrong. Like you say, 200k isnt the end of the world either way.

If the rules are how I understand them we should be able to get him signed to a pre contract- however I also read that pre contracts are not actually legally binding.

In some ways saying ''ÂŁ200k isn''t that much even for us'' is true. But in that case why not pay ÂŁ400k and get him in now? Not like the squad is deep.

Agree it all sounds a bit odd, I just assume doing it this way saves us money somehow...

this would seem very odd if this was the case, especially for the player and his agent, bearing in mind he was allowed to speak to other clubs from the 1st Jan about a summer move

can''t see why Aberdeen would be entitled to any money unless he left this month.

Impression from Twitter is that our 200k put us at the front of the queue for the player; that is to say, he didn''t want his club to miss out on a bit of cash if he took the Bosman.

Depends how you look at that I guess. I do think its a bit of a risk given how public our need is in other positions to be signing a player that wont play for us this year. You''d think we must rate him fairly.

It will cause confusion because I think the majority of us thought a priority would have been a striker for this season not a defensive midfield player for next.

I do think we are being blase about no risk of relegation. It is unlikely but not impossible.

I don''t see a problem but I can see why many are bemused.

Sorting MacLean out now is good planning for the future. Signings should be made purely on the order of priority - Norwich''s will need midfielders in the summer as Reed and Tettey will likely be leaving. Sorting MacLean now, but not paying his wages until he is really needed - is smart and pragmatic.

Just because it happens before the more immediate need for a striker doesn''t mean that won''t also happen. MacLean a relatively easy deal as the club could bypass Aberdeen and speak straight to the player, Aberdeen had to negotiate.

The benefit of a Sporting Director is that they can look a couple of windows ahead and manage transfers more effectively, managers will rush into deals that suit them for a few months in order to keep their jobs. That is not good for a club''s long term ambitions.

Great. Now let''s sign someone who can fit straight into the team and score some goals please.

[quote user="king canary"]Good to see its sorted, even if I''m still a touch baffled at the loaning him back idea.[/quote]Probably seen as a replacement for Tettey or Reed. Loan back was probably a way of getting the deal done, before another club picks him up on a free.

We did a similar type of signing with Raggett so dont see any problem with this transfer, it also is one less player on whom we dont have to spend time on negotiations in the summer, which is never a bad thing imo.  Look forward to seeing Kenny McLean  in the summer and next season.

I hope he does well. At ÂŁ200k I will wait until he has had 10 - 15 games before I make judgement but have to admit to being really underwhelmed.

Containing myself for the Boro cast off

[quote user="KeiranShikari"][quote user="king canary"]Good to see its sorted, even if I''m still a touch baffled at the loaning him back idea.[/quote]Probably seen as a replacement for Tettey or Reed. Loan back was probably a way of getting the deal done, before another club picks him up on a free. [/quote] Even Farke has described him as an attacking midfielder who can play in any attacking player.

So he''s not a Tettey or Reed replacement.

What''s baffling is we can''t score goals at the moment, get an attacking midfielder and won''t see him for 6 months! You can''t make it up

[quote user="king canary"]Good to see its sorted, even if I''m still a touch baffled at the loaning him back idea.[/quote]... because there was competition for his signature.  So we have got in there first and struck an early deal. 

I thought McLean was bought to compete with Vrancic for the ball player role. Alongside the ball player will be the ball winner, chosen from Trybull, Thompson and Godfrey.

Congrats @kennymclean66 hope it goes well mate. Great club and great place to live đź‘Ś

Nice tweet from Snoddy

[quote user="Samwam27"][quote user="KeiranShikari"][quote user="king canary"]Good to see its sorted, even if I''m still a touch baffled at the loaning him back idea.[/quote]Probably seen as a replacement for Tettey or Reed. Loan back was probably a way of getting the deal done, before another club picks him up on a free. [/quote] Even Farke has described him as an attacking midfielder who can play in any attacking player.

So he''s not a Tettey or Reed replacement.

What''s baffling is we can''t score goals at the moment, get an attacking midfielder and won''t see him for 6 months! You can''t make it up[/quote]Looking at comments from Aberdeen fans and the way the team has lined up recently it seems he has been playing some matches in front of the back four.