Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Kenny MacLean

If we are as skint as our January flash sale is implying, then we need to be investing what little money we have in positions we need to strengthen. However, if Maddison is gone in this window, then midfield may well be a position we need another player for.

Godfrey looks like he will be a key new addition to the first team next year in that position. But he will be as the natural replacement for Tettey, not madders.

We must have a deal as-good-as complete for a striker... Surely we wouldn''t sell our only backup and proven-championship striker without having someone to come in? Surely...?

No that isnot correct Players were always going to leave as the club adapts itself to another budget and a different approach.We are only just halfway through the transfer window.Why not wait until then ?

I think that we were hoping for a well-known player, as we invest the proceeds of the sale of Pritchard. This was always unlikely because we are in a difficult financial situation.

We were really never likely to splash a lot of money, because we are in a rebuilding situation, with youngsters coming through. If Lewis is a sample, give me more. We still have some high wage players to get off the books - Martin, Jerome and Naismith seem to have gone, and I fear that Tettey could be released in the summer.

I am encouraged by Farke''s very recent talk about searching for strikers, but again, if we want a guaranteed scorer with proven ability it would mean splashing out with money we don''t really have, to meet the player''s transfer fee and high wages.

I am happy to wait to see how McClean turns out, if we sign him. He hasn''t pulled up trees so far, but who knows what he could achieve under Farke? He seems to have a good motor, and for what it is worth he is a current Scottish international.

[quote user="Salopian"]I think that we were hoping for a well-known player, as we invest the proceeds of the sale of Pritchard. This was always unlikely because we are in a difficult financial situation.

We were really never likely to splash a lot of money, because we are in a rebuilding situation, with youngsters coming through. If Lewis is a sample, give me more. We still have some high wage players to get off the books - Martin, Jerome and Naismith seem to have gone, and I fear that Tettey could be released in the summer.

I am encouraged by Farke''s very recent talk about searching for strikers, but again, if we want a guaranteed scorer with proven ability it would mean splashing out with money we don''t really have, to meet the player''s transfer fee and high wages.

I am happy to wait to see how McClean turns out, if we sign him. He hasn''t pulled up trees so far, but who knows what he could achieve under Farke? He seems to have a good motor, and for what it is worth he is a current Scottish international.[/quote]despite bringing in around £14m when we didn''t have to selland the cuts to the wage bill of higher earners such as Pritchard, Martin, Jerome and Naismith(?) leavingI think it is more a case of it being the right person, rather than the ''right ''price

I believe 2 million to fund the Cat 1 youth system, we’ve got to spend a few million on Colney and we have a shortfall to fund of 7 million, yes we’ll no doubt post a profit but as highlighted we’re still having to cover a 7 million shortfall next season.

So I doubt we’ll spend too much this January on replacements more on the clubs foundations and probably post a very small profit.

McLean sounds like he is one we''d ideally like to go after in the summer on a free but think a cheeky bid could steal a march on others who want to get him when he''s out of contract.

We''re in the tearing down phase of the rebuilding project still that will last until the summer. So for now we''ll look at loans to tide us over unless we see someone in a similar situation to McClean.

I think come April/May (barring an improbable playoff run) we''ll see the talk of moving on players strike up again (I''m thinking Klose, Naismith, Martin, Yanic and Nelson to be the ones we''ll want to sell, Maddison being the one we''ll have to even if we don''t want to) while we start turning our focus to free agents, loanees with the odd fee thrown in here and there.

[quote user="Indy"]I believe 2 million to fund the Cat 1 youth system, we’ve got to spend a few million on Colney and we have a shortfall to fund of 7 million, yes we’ll no doubt post a profit but as highlighted we’re still having to cover a 7 million shortfall next season.

So I doubt we’ll spend too much this January on replacements more on the clubs foundations and probably post a very small profit.[/quote]As I understand it there is a provison for an overdraft of 7m, presumably to cover or mainly cover the maximum shortfall we might have, rather than a prediction of what the shortfall will be. And there is a chance you are double-counting any money spent on the youth system and Colney, since that might well be part of any shortfall rather than extra to it.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Indy"]I believe 2 million to fund the Cat 1 youth system, we’ve got to spend a few million on Colney and we have a shortfall to fund of 7 million, yes we’ll no doubt post a profit but as highlighted we’re still having to cover a 7 million shortfall next season.

So I doubt we’ll spend too much this January on replacements more on the clubs foundations and probably post a very small profit.[/quote]As I understand it there is a provison for an overdraft of 7m, presumably to cover or mainly cover the maximum shortfall we might have, rather than a prediction of what the shortfall will be. And there is a chance you are double-counting any money spent on the youth system and Colney, since that might well be part of any shortfall rather than extra to it.[/quote][url]https://files.canaries.co.uk/canaries/AGM.pdf[/url]I''m not well versed in accountancy - but I read the AGM document as needing the overdraft because of the cash position being -£7m, so a cashflow issue rather than a debt issue.

[quote user="Icecream Snow"] I''m not well versed in accountancy - but I read the AGM document as needing the overdraft because of the cash position being -£7m, so a cashflow issue rather than a debt issue.[/quote] Exactly. That''s what my bank keep telling me my overdraft facility is for anyway [:D]

[quote user="Icecream Snow"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Indy"]I believe 2 million to fund the Cat 1 youth system, we’ve got to spend a few million on Colney and we have a shortfall to fund of 7 million, yes we’ll no doubt post a profit but as highlighted we’re still having to cover a 7 million shortfall next season.

So I doubt we’ll spend too much this January on replacements more on the clubs foundations and probably post a very small profit.[/quote]As I understand it there is a provison for an overdraft of 7m, presumably to cover or mainly cover the maximum shortfall we might have, rather than a prediction of what the shortfall will be. And there is a chance you are double-counting any money spent on the youth system and Colney, since that might well be part of any shortfall rather than extra to it.[/quote][url]https://files.canaries.co.uk/canaries/AGM.pdf[/url]I''m not well versed in accountancy - but I read the AGM document as needing the overdraft because of the cash position being -£7m, so a cashflow issue rather than a debt issue.[/quote]I hadn''t seen those useful charts. I wasn''t at the AGM and was going on reports of what was said about our position next season (2018-19),  and asumed the overdraft was linked to that. But, as you say, it would neatly cover our predicted (lack of...) cash position this season. But the point remains that the estimate of -£7m is almost certainly based on the worst-case scenario, and the sale of Pritchard, with at least an initial payment from that this season, might mitigate the situation.

Also purple it would make sense to spend any profit before the financial year end to pay less tax on profit. Use the money on Colney upgrades needed.

I can’t say if cat1 and the upgrades are part of the shortfall as it wasn’t detailed or if it’s due to other factors on top.

Just making a case to say we’ve spent loads on players in the near past so now better to upgrade our facilities and buy within our means.

Tough lad old Lenny. I remember him murdering the King of the Gypsies.

Just need to get Charlie Bronson released and we could have two tough old defensive midfielders.

I have a shelf full of his Dad Alistair''s books.

I honestly couldn’t give a flying dogs d1ck where he’s from, if he’s a decent player then he’s a decent player! Don’t know much about him but sounds promising, and I certainly trust Farke in the transfer market - it’s quite a novelty to have a modern Norwich manager that gets things right more times than not 👍

[quote user="Splendid Rush"]Aberdeen are playing live on telly now if anyone wants to take a look at him in action:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/42706952[/quote]Thanks for the link, he spent most of his time protecting the defence, and not really getting forward, so I guess they see him competing with Godfrey, Trybull and Vrancic for the two centre mid positions next season. If so, looks like Tettey is definitely off.At 6ft and 26 he''s a decent size and build, but feels like a James Husband style signing.

May be if he played right back, right wing or striker I would be vaguely interested but surely not what we are looking for right now? I''ve seen enough dross from north of the border here thank you.

[quote user="Alex "]I honestly couldn’t give a flying dogs d1ck where he’s from, if he’s a decent player then he’s a decent player! Don’t know much about him but sounds promising, and I certainly trust Farke in the transfer market - it’s quite a novelty to have a modern Norwich manager that gets things right more times than not 👍[/quote]

Well that’s certainly not farke is it?

He really doesn’t get things right more times than not what the hell have you seen this year

[quote user="Icecream Snow"][quote user="Splendid Rush"]Aberdeen are playing live on telly now if anyone wants to take a look at him in action:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/42706952[/quote]Thanks for the link, he spent most of his time protecting the defence, and not really getting forward, so I guess they see him competing with Godfrey, Trybull and Vrancic for the two centre mid positions next season. If so, looks like Tettey is definitely off.At 6ft and 26 he''s a decent size and build, but feels like a James Husband style signing.[/quote]I just watched the highlights and didn''t see him in any attacking role at all so assume he''s a defensive player.  On BBC it shows he picked up a booking.

In our financial situation we are shopping for decent players to do the job, he’s 26 and on low wages, will fit our purchasing budget.

Losing Tettey and Reed this summer requires we fill these positions.

Good luck to Kenny if he signs, hopefullycan do a job at this level.

Kenny McLean has agreed a three and a half year deal with @NorwichCityFC. Agreement sees @AberdeenFC get £200,000 for midfielder who will be loaned back to Dons for rest of season. @scotsunsport

[quote user="Rich T The Biscuit"]Didn’t make sense to me, we have Godfrey and Thompson to return from loan and injury, is he a Maddison type player?[/quote]
Played alongside Madders at Aberdeen last season.

Covering the squad changes RTTB, just a low cost squad player, we’ll be without Reed & Tettey come summer.

See that we need to buy in budget and if he’s got quality good to buy now knowing he’s here for the summer.