Sign in to follow this  

SKY and BT

SKY and BT have announced that they have joined forces to try and combat the internet companies that will surely be the ultimate suppliers of Sport etc.

As soon as Ifollow progresses to its natural conclusion of availability to all no matter their domain, then I guess the big clubs will be threatening these two that they want the lion''s share of the money or else. So it would make sense for them to come together and not try to outbid each other.

or simply recognise that technology has made their business model impracticaleither way I would be surprised if the money clubs have been receiving will be maintained at the level it is now

Yes, I don''t think the plateau has been reached yet.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]True, it won''t be at the level they are receiving now.

The next deal will probably be 20% to 40% larger, depending on who you ask.[/quote]eh ?With Sky/BT not competing aganst each other, advertising revenue is falling where is the extra projected income going to come from ?Certainly not subscriptions as technology has made that almost obsoleteAmazon perhaps ?

or simply recognise that technology has made their business model impractical

That may well be why Murdoch has sold SKY.

SKY and BT are still competing against each other, but have agreed that each other''s customer will be able to watch games on their platforms - they will both still want to have the largest selection of games available, as SKY make money when games are on SKY and BT make the money when games are on BT.

I don''t think the online platforms will come in yet, not into the domestic market at least, can see them trying it out in the cheaper overseas markets first.

The overseas market is where the real growth will continue, it is currently worth £3bn and most industrial sources think it will top £5b at the next auction.

I''ve been speaking to a lot of people about this recently - no one is predicting a decrease in revenue for Premier League clubs in the next 10 to 15 years - the overseas market is growing and growing and there is still a huge amount of potential. If Google, Amazon, Netflix do get involved at some point - which seems inevitable, then it is just another bidder, and revenue for the Prem clubs will rise because of it.

I expect SKY will want to really hammer BT for Premier League rights, as they have lost out on all European football and will significantly up their bid. Will be interesting to see if BT will be able to also up their bid as they are already running an unsustainable business model.

This shouldn''t be allowed they have completely cornered the market, both companies will raise prices together meaning if you want to watch football you must pay what they want, expect prices to double in the next few years

Rhubarb wrote the following post at 15/12/2017 3:18 PM:

either way I would be surprised if the money clubs have been receiving will be maintained at the level it is now

Nonsense, the PL rights are coming up for bids, Sky and BT want to be able to fend off bids from some of the super sized streaming/ tech companies, how on earth is that likely to reduce the money for clubs?

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]This shouldn''t be allowed they have completely cornered the market, both companies will raise prices together meaning if you want to watch football you must pay what they want, expect prices to double in the next few years[/quote]
Or just do without? I want to drive a Bugatti Veyron, but prices have spiralled out of my reach lately so I make do and mend with my ten year old banger. I guess the football equivalent is go and watch your nearest pub team when you need a fix instead of siphoning off increasing percentages of your income to watch the top guys. I would love to be able to watch the top games on Sky/BT Sport but the harsh reality is that there are other things in my life I need to pay for before that. What little I have spare for football goes to my own NCFC.

The stupidest thing is Sky are that desperate for you to stay that they will offer 75% off if you leave.

I pay £20 for the full package, sports & films included.

Their pricing structure is a joke RB, threaten to leave or better still leave as I did earlier this year and they will run after you with all sorts of low costs deals.

I left as they wouldn''t put fibre optic in up our road. I went to BT for fibre optic and then joined SKY again and got SKY Q, a new box and new dish all for £10 a month. No sports or movies but I have Kodi.

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]This shouldn''t be allowed they have completely cornered the market, both companies will raise prices together meaning if you want to watch football you must pay what they want, expect prices to double in the next few years[/quote]No, that is not how it works. Prices will only match ''what the market will bear''.That is why Sky have been cutting their prices to keep customers. BT have pretty much stagnated as technology has meant that there is no need to pay for an expensive package if you just want to watch certain events only. We''ve been sat here working with the cricket being streamed live at no cost.What is being claimed is similar to someone projecting future revenues based on dial up broadband a few years previous. The reality however is"Average viewing for Sky’s live TV channels fell 14% over the course of the 2016/17 Premier League season despite the broadcaster paying around 83% more for the most recent deal."And we have"Analysts believe it could affect the scale of bidding when the Premier League TV rights auction begins in February.

The channel deals mean that Sky and BT customers can gain access to

all Premier League matches without being forced to choose to buy TV

packages from either or both. Analysts believe this could mean the fear

of missing out on the best games package in the auction – which has

spurred rampant price inflation in recent bidding – could recede.

“This could mean that BT and Sky can take their foot off the accelerator,” Richard Broughton, of Ampere Analysis, said."

the Disney CEO was on the radio this week and he expects to use the Fox infrastructure move into streaming online sport in a major way

Persistently low audiences could depress the price of sports rights. If

diminished live TV viewership persists, TV networks and sports groups

relying on live sport for revenue will be severely threatened. Live

sports have historically been a sure-fire way for pay-TV broadcasters to

attract subscribers, and generate ad revenue, with sports groups also

profiting from the windfall. Last season, every team in the Premier

League received at least

£84.4 million (about $106 million) as part of an equal share of the

payout from TV rights. There are questions as to whether this will be

sustainable for much longer. 
http://uk.businessinsider.com/the-premier-league-viewership-dip-has-raised-doubts-about-live-sports-2017-6Broadcasters are paying record fees to reach fewer people on TV. Premier

League Viewership on Sky''s live TV channels in the UK plunged by 14%

last season, time spent in terms of viewing hours also dropped 6%

year-on-year, even though the broadcaster paid about 70% more for these

matches than it did in its previous deal.
The level of payment for TV rights is not sustainable, irrespective of who has those rights.I doubt viewing numbers have dropped, more a case that many have grasped that they can still view what they want for free. With the economy heading downwards I would suggest that after Xmas many will see a monhtly subscription as something they can cut - hence Sky''s already desperation to keep hold of customers via huge subscription cuts.All three variables are inter active. And they will cerainly impact on February''s auction. How much we will have to see, but I suggest the days of ever increasing TV revenues are over.

Just as many industries and leisure companies have realised that a monthly or yearly fee is not the answer, I am positive it won''t be long before, apart from public owned broadcasting services, companies will charge an instant tariff for watching all or any entertainment.

I eagerly await a challenge to BT''s right to own the network entirely. Even though they have to share it, they obviously have the option to delay or obstruct.

[quote user="Van wink"]Rhubarb wrote the following post at 15/12/2017 3:18 PM:

either way I would be surprised if the money clubs have been receiving will be maintained at the level it is now

Nonsense, the PL rights are coming up for bids, Sky and BT want to be able to fend off bids from some of the super sized streaming/ tech companies, how on earth is that likely to reduce the money for clubs?[/quote]I wonder then how much of an increase Sky and BT have paid for the next three years /

With the caveat that not all of the packages have been sols yet, currently sky have paid 60% less per match (according to 5 live and my potentially dodgy hearing)

[quote user="cornish sam"]With the caveat that not all of the packages have been sols yet, currently sky have paid 60% less per match (according to 5 live and my potentially dodgy hearing)[/quote]

My hearing was dodgy, its 16% less per match

[quote user="cornish sam"]With the caveat that not all of the packages have been sols yet, currently sky have paid 60% less per match (according to 5 live and my potentially dodgy hearing)[/quote]oh dearwhat a silly billy I amthere was me saying that BT and Sky might not pay as much this timethankfully other more enlightened folk were on hand to put me right

Bit of a sidenote here, but from the 2019 season - ALL midweek games should be available on IFollow for EVERYONE, regardless of where they live.
Sky (who own IFollow) have agreed in the next contract due to start in 2019 that all clubs can broadcast midweek games domestically on their website, as long as it isn''t being shown on Sky.
Should be some respite for the less tech savvy who rely on Radio Norfolk for those Tuesday night trips up to Middlesborough etc.
Only a matter of time until that pervades into the Saturday games too (although I have a feeling there is currently a law preventing 3pm Saturdays from being shown)

Seems the Sky and BT bids weren’t as big as many expected. But this was enevitable when the digital guys said they weren’t getting involved this time around.

International market should grow significantly though. No threat of premier league clubs having any less money.