Sign in to follow this  
Feedthewolf

OT: The Ashes

STFU

“I have no idea why this ball-tampering incident has been added to the Ashes thread”

I am told there is no such thing as a stupid question 😀

Cheating is one thing, but being caught doing it deserves consequences, especially in cricket. As I think someone said earlier, it happens in pretty much every football match but there doesn''t seem to be the same furore.

Did anyone see the incident in the Pompey v Oxford game yesterday? Oxford are awarded a pen, Mowatt misses pen, Pompey player gets in his face and Mowatt pushes him away. Pompey player promptly falls over clutching his face like he''s been high by Mike Tyson - Mowatt gets red card. Admittedly he deserved a red for raising his hand to an opponent, but the Pompey player''s role in the incident is disgraceful.

Anyway, I digress... Smith, Warner and Lehmann should all resign. Bet they don''t though...

Will all get washed over typical example the yob Ben Stokes picked by the ECB despite having to appear in court.

"The Sun published a later story in which two men hailed Stokes as a hero for protecting them from homophobic abuse on the night of the incident."

Stokes has YET to be found guilty and as the above quote suggests there is more than one side to this story.

I think that Harbhajan Singh has a good point when he complains that he got a three match ban for "excessive appealing." The one match ban and just points for Bancroft, look extremely lenient in the light of this.You can understand the feelings that it''s not really an equal justice.

Liked Dan Roans''s doggidness also

And an Aussie without an opinion for once. Streuth!

By the way Crabby, Lydney came to fight on Saturday and our young hooker ended up in hospital with a fractured cheekbone and broken nose. Glad we beat them and relegated them. Their coach said "we don''t turn up to play touch rugby"!

"James Sutherland, chief executive of Cricket Australia, said only Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft had prior knowledge of the plan to tamper with the ball. All three have been sent home from South Africa and their sanctions are expected to be announced in the next 24 hours."

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Basil Brash"]Michael Vaughan pulls no punches herehttp://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/43549074[/quote]

So no England player has never pulled out a little bit of dirt out of their pocket to rub into the ball then.......

[/quote]whataboutery

No! Not since the Atherton incident when the rules were less specific and the phenomena was relatively new.

Atherton was more naive than dishonest. He was still a cheat though, of course.

It''s a different (reverse swing) ball game nowadays and those Aussies knew it

Oh dear kg, I see that nothing seems to have changed over many years.

I remember playing there, and we were 12-0 up at half time, of course, they , and their ''supporters'' didn''t take too kindly to that, and the 2nd half turned out to be a punch fest, which we (especially our star No 8) definitely came out 2nd best, and we lost 18-12!

With an attitude like that, the team, and their Coach deserve each other (as well as relegation!) Well done Cam!

Blowers suggested this morning that the odious Warner might never play for Australia again because of the fact that he has been a continuous problem for CA.

Good.

[quote user="SHRIMPER"]Do not know which site is right, but some are saying banned from any form of cricket. [/quote]The Age (Melbourne) is reporting it this way:The bans will prohibit them from playing for Australia or for their states during that period. Smith was told he would not be able to captain Australia for at least two years after the ban expired, while Warner will never be permitted to lead the country under the sanctions.So they might be able to play grade (ie club) cricket. But Smith and Warner have alread lined up lawyers, so this may run for a while. If held to then I imagine Smith would not ever again be captain (which he shouldn''t be), since that particular ban lasts until 2021.

The revelation it was sandpaper is for me the biggest thing and seems to have snuck under the radar.

IF they were doing this in the Ashes then no wonder they were able to get it to reverse in conditions when you would not expect it.

I gather the IPL have said they can;t play during the year which i think is a good thing. It should be borne in mind that Australia don''t play particularly challenging test opposition until 2019!

[quote user="Jim Smith"]The revelation it was sandpaper is for me the biggest thing and seems to have snuck under the radar.

IF they were doing this in the Ashes then no wonder they were able to get it to reverse in conditions when you would not expect it.

I gather the IPL have said they can;t play during the year which i think is a good thing. It should be borne in mind that Australia don''t play particularly challenging test opposition until 2019![/quote]I think the implication (certainly what Stuart Broad suggested) was that they used other more-established cheating methods in the Ashes series, when their bowlers were being successful anyway, and they were comfortably the better side. But against South Africa, in a much tougher series, level at 1-1, they panicked a bit and went for this high-risk option that they thought would work quicker and better..

Who knows Purple. It would not surprise me if they have been doing this for a while. They were caught because the S Africans suspected they were up to something and so got their cameramen to deliberately focus on the players doing the ball shining. At home in the summer they were probably not being followed around to the same degree.

Clearly we took a bit of a hiding and its stretching it to claim that if cheating took place then it influenced the series result but its also the case that several of those test matches (or certainly the earlier ones) were pretty close for 2 or 3 days and then turned on batting collapses or poor sessions with the bat for England where wickets fell in quick succession. NZ proves we are well capable of doing that anyway but it does make you wonder.

I think this will be the end for Warner and they will hope that Smith can be re-introduced having been suitably rahabilitated in a years time, probably just in time to tour England for the Ashes!

I think an international team were accused of using a bottle top to lift the seam many years ago. My have been Pakistan, but not sure.

Imran is often accredited with "inventing" reverse spin.

Those Pakistani bowlers were experts at it in the early days?

"James Sutherland, chief executive of Cricket Australia, said only Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft had prior knowledge of the plan to tamper with the ball. All three have been sent home from South Africa and their sanctions are expected to be announced in the next 24 hours."

I find it hard to believe that the team wasn''t told. They would have been told to protect the ball and not rough it up wrong side when throwing in flat from the boundary etc.

And Lehmann would have known what they were suspected of doing right from the off in the Ashes and surely told them not to do it anymore as they were under suspicion, if he says he had no knowledge of it happening.

But hope that the snarling odious knob jockey that is Warner never plays test cricket again.

This is what Warner said in 2016. What a cvnt."I

won''t comment on the way [South Africa] have been behaving but I just

know from an Australian cricket perspective: we hold our heads high and

I''ll be very disappointed if one of our teammates [illegally change the

condition of the ball]," Warner said at a press conference in 2016.

"The rules are in place for a reason, if you''re not gonna use them, then why bother having them?"

The unbelievable words of Aussie coach Darren Lehmann earlier today.....“These are young men and I hope people will give them a second chance,”[:(] [:@]