Sign in to follow this  
Feedthewolf

OT: The Ashes

I have an (Australian) relative, who works in Pathology, and regularly tests (blood/drug etc) the Aussie cricket team, and she can''t stand the arrogant so and so''s (It is quite funny seeing her near implode when talking about Nathan Lyon!)

I said (at the end of the Ashes) to her that I begrudgingly admired the likes of Warner/Smith as players, but she soon shot me down!

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Who knows Purple. It would not surprise me if they have been doing this for a while. They were caught because the S Africans suspected they were up to something and so got their cameramen to deliberately focus on the players doing the ball shining. At home in the summer they were probably not being followed around to the same degree.

Clearly we took a bit of a hiding and its stretching it to claim that if cheating took place then it influenced the series result but its also the case that several of those test matches (or certainly the earlier ones) were pretty close for 2 or 3 days and then turned on batting collapses or poor sessions with the bat for England where wickets fell in quick succession. NZ proves we are well capable of doing that anyway but it does make you wonder.

I think this will be the end for Warner and they will hope that Smith can be re-introduced having been suitably rahabilitated in a years time, probably just in time to tour England for the Ashes![/quote]

My thoughts exactly. The Ashes were filmed by Australian cameramen who are highly unlikely to focus on their players cheating. The English players have refused to point the finger which leads me to wonder if they are at it as well. Our press have been very quick to condemn but seem to have forgotten all about Mike Atherton. And it''s common knowledge that the England players used sweets to make the ball swing in the 2005 series against Australia

Dylan wrote

And it''s common knowledge that the England players used sweets to make the ball swing in the 2005 series against Australia

I guess they were Mars Skittles

Everyone is digging out History a bit like the Historic Sex Crimes nothing mentioned of the Rolling Stones or the Bands of the 60''s 70''s when anything goes

Loads of sponsors (inevitably) pulling out. It''s a bit of a she-ite storm, not just for the Sandpaper 3, but their team mates. Will watch the start of the latest Test with SA with a bit more interest.

Wasn''t overly convinced about Smith''s contrition tbh. Also, I think it was a mistake, them (3) not doing a joint presser, to try and draw a bigger line as possible, under this week.

Just waiting for the bullish Warner to put his mug in front of the cameras .

The only regrets they have is getting caught. How can they say it was an error of judgement?

An error of judgement is not predetermined, it occurs naturally. Deliberately breaking the rules in not an error, it is a misdemeanour.

I don''t think the episode itself is that big a deal. What makes it so big is the pious attitude of Aussies that they believe they are so impeccable when it comes to life.

I remember running the gauntlet in Brisbane and being told Poms are Kippers (two faced and no back bone).

And when being told that Australia was so special and Britain was wet and miserable, I asked if he had created the weather they enjoy, the abundant waters, their self sufficiency, he really believed the people had achieved this because they were so special.

Seeing Smith blubbing just brings a touch of reality to a pompous, rude not brash, people.

I have watched far more of the series than I had any intention of doing. It''s been pretty enthralling on the field, right from the 1st test when SA made a credible go at the 4th innings target. The sandpaper moment happened at a critical moment. 4 match series, 1-1, SA building a sizeable lead in 3rd innings of the 3rd match, their best batsman (by a mile) at the crease, series slipping away from the Aussies, desperate not to fall further behind in the test rankings. They had to make a move, and to accelerate the introduction of reverse swing, which had bought about SA''s first innings collapse, was it. It was a desperate, illegal move which backfired monumentally!

I suppose there wasn''t a joint presser as they all went back to different parts of Australia. We also don''t know the depth of the fall out between Warner and the others.

How on earth do they behave when they go for their blood tests, Crabby? I mean it can''t take long. Surely easy enough to be civil and polite?

p-p I think it would have been far better for themselves, if they had all sat at the same table, singing off the same hymn sheet, so to speak.

Re the blood etc tests, it isn''t just a quick process, and yes, I would agree, that it doesn''t take a lot to be civil and polite, but my rellie (born and bred Aussie, nice as they come) cannot stand it, when they (a general term for the team, but mainly down to a few of the ''senior'' players) turn up to be tested

I watched the sniveling Smiths press conference on sky today crying his eyes out. Must have dawned on him that it is estimated he will lose over five million over the next two IPLs and his sponsorship deals.

The elephant in the room with all this whinging, crying and wringing of hands is the only reason we are here is cos they got caught. Thats what they are crying about, not the sudden recognition that they were acting like cheating Aussies.

Cheating goes on in numerous sports in most sports now due to the big money being touted by Sky and rich sponsors.

Vardy and Dele Alli falling in the penalty area most games

All the centre backs in every Football league team pulling on shirts etc

Different form of cheating but same conclusion.

Are these footballers made to go in front of the camera and explain their actions.

And FINALLY Warner turns up in front of the cameras (briefly) , if only to use his wife and kids as a sympathy shield. He needs a new media adviser.

[quote user="Van wink"]The elephant in the room with all this whinging, crying and wringing of hands is the only reason we are here is cos they got caught. Thats what they are crying about, not the sudden recognition that they were acting like cheating Aussies.[/quote]Spot On.

I''m loving the total eclipse of Warner most of all.

I have some sympathy, probably unjustified, for Bancroft as I believe he may have even been bullied by Warner.

I winter in Asia and this year popped Brummie Bryan''s Crossbar bar in Bkk for a few days in March to catch some of that test match on his big screen.

Lots of Aussies get in there and I have watched many an Ashes match with them. They are a good bunch.

I got the impression that they, to a man, disliked David Warner even more than most of us English ( and now South Africans.)

I would be unhappy to ever see this individual on the world stage ever again.

Did my old heart good today hearing Warner sniveling like a baby at his press conference. Oh how he hope to be forgiven and allowed to play for his beloved country and team mates again. From what I have been reading not a lot chance of that happening.[:''(]

Imagine if it was the England Cricket team that was caught cheating......The Aussies would be milking it for all it''s worth.....I just love to see them squirmin'' an'' blubbin'' and attempting damage limitation.........''Chortle''...

Anyway, as Robert Smith and his mates say........"Boys Don''t Cry"........

Warner would not answer questions about if he''d done this in the past, but later tweeted it was due to the cricket authority''s of Australia.  Think that points towards a yes answer but may come out different 

Interestingly, the three replacements for the suspended players scored just twelve runs between them as S. Africa romp away with the test match (4th?)

And we thought we lacked strength in depth.

For the next Ashes it''s likely that Smith will be back, but will lack top-class batting preactice.

Bancroft was nothing special in any case.

And we are unlikely to see Warner again, by all accounts.

There is actually a one day series against the Aussies this Summer. Our current strong point it seems and it will be made easier by the fact that Smith and Warner will be out.

Watching the Aussies snivel has been fantastic hasn''t it? I am thoroughly enjoying it.

But never ever forget, that what they all regret most of all , it getting caught. Don''t buy the tears of shame for one minute.

Cricket Australia has turned a blind eye to the personal abuse they have dished out for years.

Lehmann didn''t know? Cobblers. It''s the first time the Aussies have cheated?? Equally cobblers.

And three batsmen contrive to tamper with the ball and none of the bowlers noticed?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

That''s the best one of the lot.

I almost hate them more than Ipswich . This is brilliant.