Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

James Maddison - £25m

OK. But do you really have total confidence that we can spend the money wisely or just use it to prop up any losses for this and next season.

We know Delia bailed us out before administration but the debt was cleared by promotion to the Prem, which indirectly was down to the board bringing in Lambert but even they were dismayed with successive promotions.

I know we must try and balance the books but begs the question "at any cost?".

Tricky one really. We thought last season we were probably going to go straight back up but we now find ourselves bang in the middle.

Preston are doing OK with a £2M pound team and are not in debt so it is possible to do both.

I think Maddison is clearly the favourite to go. Remember Pritchard was already at a top Prem club when we bought him. And we wouldn''t be making a fortune on him.

I think we think Maddison would suit Spurs for instance but they will be looking abroad I think.

So it might be more like Leicester, Watford or Burnley maybe.

I wouldn;t be happy because i think most of that money would disappear but if we are to sell Madders then that is the type of fee we should be holding out for.

Him and Pritchard (plus possibly Nelson and Lewis if he progresses) are the players we have who will be likely to command a decent fee over the next few years and so its absolutely crucial that nobody is sold for under their value.

i read at the weekend that Sessegnon at Fulham is being valued at £30m. Madders is an equally good player in my book. I will be very disappointed if he''s sold for anything under £20m.

As i''ve said in another thread though this must not happen in this window. He will still be just as valuable in the summer.

There are bound to be press stories starting anytime soon. Benitez said he would be coming back for the other Murphy didn''t he? Agree KG, those teams are likely to want JM plus the likes of West Ham, Stoke, West Brom. If its in the summer, the promoted Champs teams will be sniffing around. £20 plus add on''s is not ridiculous. It was always great business by McNally ...just have to hope we unearth more like him ahead.

Maddison signed a new longer term deal at Carrow Road in the summer,

keeping him with the Canaries until at least 2021, and the club’s top

brass made it clear, after unveiling the latest set of accounts

head coach Daniel Farke is under no pressure to offload any of his top

talent in January.

Easily worth 20 M. Anyone who thinks otherwise has no idea how much very gifted players go for .

That said I can see us excepting similar to Jacob with more add ons. Wouldn''t make sense as Maddison is twice the player but we seem to panic when selling .

Maddison signed a new longer term deal at Carrow Road in the summer, keeping him with the Canaries until at least 2021, and the club’s top brass made it clear, after unveiling the latest set of accounts head coach Daniel Farke is under no pressure to offload any of his top talent in January.

But would it be down to DF? Wouldn''t Webber really be the one to approve any move?

And maybe he would like £20M to spend if the board gave it to him.

The club has to be very cautious......1st Season ticket renewal on the horizon.......Flogging your ''Crown'' jewels in the January transfer market could affect ST sales......

Has a Premier League club ever paid a Championship club, not including teams in the summer of their relegation, £25m for a player? Or even £20m?

Hard to think of any comparable deals to judge how much Maddison might be worth. Chris Woods, who was the top scorer in the league and a good age cost £15m last summer, is Maddison really worth more than that?

Why does it matter if its the summer of their relegation or not or do you mean because those players have played in the premier league?

I appreciate that there might be a greater need to sell for a club who are not receieving parachute payments but ultimately Madders is on a long term contract, probably not yet in the enormous, unsustainable wages bracket and is very, very talented. we must hold out for £20m plus and also the right buyer - i.e. not just take the first offer from a lower prem club.

Maddison is in a different bracket to Wood in my view, Wood is an effective battering ram/hold up player but he''s not as talented as Maddison and would never have been bought by a top club. i would expect the top clubs to be interested in Maddison.

If he was a striker with lightning pace and about 20 league goals this season then you might get £25m from someone.

Even if he was amazing (which he isn''t) people will know we need the money and will take much less than £25m and probably much less than £20m.

I could certainly see a situation where we get a huge offer for Maddison in January (20mil+) but we negotiate a deal to get him back on loan for the rest of the season

I excluded relegated teams as with three years of parachute payments they are under less pressure to sell.

No club inside the top 6 are going to be looking at Maddison, he is a talented player, but not at that level and I don''t think he has the ability to make that level. Players in his position in those clubs are De Bruyne, Ozil, Coutinho, Eriksen - these were players marked out from 17/18 as being top class and by the time they were James age they were playing for a top team and internationally.

Maddison will almost certainly go on to the Premier League, but he''ll be at a Everton/Southampton/Watford/Burnley sized club.

I highly doubt he''ll be sold this January, but next summer could be a challenge. £20m certainly could be possible with the inflation in transfer fees as Premier League clubs income grows - especially if a mini bidding war starts.

I suspect he will go to a lot bigger club than many expect. Anything less than 25 million would be a steal.

I accept he will be sold in the summer if we have not gone up. I can live with that provided we get very good money.

He must not be sold in January.

Look at Lewis Cook at Bournemouth. A very good player, slightly younger than Maddison but much more successful in the England youth ranks - captain of the U20 World Cup winning side. But you''re not really seeing talk of a top 6 club paying huge money for him.

@Bethnal

I''d say you could make a case for Maddison being worth the same or more than wood.

Wood is older and had had a couple of tries in the Premier League without any actual success. I feel like Wood is a player with a lower ceiling than Maddison.

Didn’t we beat Liverpool and Purs to bring him here ? They will still be watching him now so it’s not unreasonable to think they’ll come back in for him when they think he’s ready

Liverpool were looking at him when the price was around £2m as a player with potential - knowing that even if he didn''t make their team, they could probably loan him out and make a profit in the future.

It is a completely different situation to considering bidding £20m for him. For that kind of money they would need to think he could go be someone who plays in their first team in the next season or two. It seems unlikely when you consider the players they have, and are getting next summer.

Remember when Will Hughes was always being linked with Liverpool but has now ended up at Watford for less than £10m?

Or when Josh McEachran was going on to great things but is now at Brentford.

You could look at Dele going from MKD to Spurs but Dele is big, strong and quick.

Bournemouth paid £18m for Mings - so I guess anything is possible. I would hope he goes to a bigger club and I think he will. A lot of our players have gone to clubs similar to ours (by that I mean clubs that consider a 17th place premier finish as a good season).

Fer and Olsson are regular relegation battlers now with Swansea, Murphy could well find himself back in the Championship and Snodgrass went to Hull who were swiftly relegated too. If he goes to Palace, Bournemouth or West Ham type, he is not really achieving anything other than a wage increase (ok so that is a pretty big deal for the lad!).

Spurs under Poch? Would possibly be a very good move for the lad, as would Liverpool under Klopp. The other one be to play for Pep at City (Foden has got some game time recently, albeit the Carabao Cup). Man United would not be great for him, likewise for Chelsea. Arsenal? Possibly could work out under Wenger.

[quote user="Just Dan"]Bournemouth paid £18m for Mings - so I guess anything is possible. I would hope he goes to a bigger club and I think he will. A lot of our players have gone to clubs similar to ours (by that I mean clubs that consider a 17th place premier finish as a good season).

Fer and Olsson are regular relegation battlers now with Swansea, Murphy could well find himself back in the Championship and Snodgrass went to Hull who were swiftly relegated too. If he goes to Palace, Bournemouth or West Ham type, he is not really achieving anything other than a wage increase (ok so that is a pretty big deal for the lad!).

Spurs under Poch? Would possibly be a very good move for the lad, as would Liverpool under Klopp. The other one be to play for Pep at City (Foden has got some game time recently, albeit the Carabao Cup). Man United would not be great for him, likewise for Chelsea. Arsenal? Possibly could work out under Wenger.[/quote]

It wasn’t £18 million!