Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Milk cup 85 semi final 1st leg....

....anyone have any recollections of this game

It''s occurred to me that to this day ,I''ve never seen the ipswich goal on tv or even seen any photos.

Too young to have gone to this myself....All I''ve ever really known about this game is that we were awful...should never have played Paul Clayton and were lucky to get out of there only 0-1 down.

Any memories? ..

How many did we take?,the atmospherest? .....even better any photos, videos links...anything??

Yes we were hammered 1-0. Davray or whatever his name was scored really early. They thought they scored another but the ref said it didn''t cross the line. Came away thinking "what a result". I think we lost both league games against them that season too. Maybe they put a star on their shirt but we won the one that mattered [:D]

27000 the gate for this.....which seems quite low. ...23k at carrow road for the second leg despite only having 3 sides.

We must have taken 6-7k there in the days of terracing?..

.but as you say we''re those sorts of things even accounted for then?

I went GJL , and have exactly the same recollections as you. Couldn''t remember their claim for a 2nd goal. I seem to think that we took our allocated lot (whatever that was) as I thought the tickets were at a premium?

I guess all that went on, in the 2nd Leg, has erased that 1st game.

I ended up in the Churchman End. There were plenty of other Norwich fans there. We came away thinking that we had got away with it after only losing 1-0 . The atmosphere was quite hostile if I remember it correctly

The other thing that I remember about this game was that it was played on a Saturday afternoon. I have no recollection why though.

13th February which indeed was a Saturday and on the same day Sunderland beat Chelsea 2-0 in the other semi final first leg.A pure guess but were all four teams out of the FA Cup and it was 4th round day. I really don''t know but surely someone will remember ?

Think there was a fixture pile up for some reason around that time,and Sunderland played Chelsea at Roker Park on the Wednesday night

Saturday 23 Feb 1985...something to do with a fixture pile up, I think we played Birmingham 4 times in the FA Cup 3rd round in January.

My first Portman Rd derby too. Packed into the old North Stand away terrace, proper "old school". Lost 1-0, could/should have been many more. When it finished 1-0, we all knew we were Wembley bound.

As someone who used to follow Norwich in the 80´s, I very occasionally browse this forum. When this thread originally appeared, I thought I´d sign up to add my one insignificant piece of information

Today, best part of 6 months later, Archant have finally approved my account, so I´m going .

The original 1st leg at Portman Road was scheduled for midweek (evening k.o.), it snowed and the match was postponed around mid afternoon.

thank you

[quote user="How I Wrote Elastic Man"]As someone who used to follow Norwich in the 80´s, I very occasionally browse this forum. When this thread originally appeared, I thought I´d sign up to add my one insignificant piece of information

Today, best part of 6 months later, Archant have finally approved my account, so I´m going .

The original 1st leg at Portman Road was scheduled for midweek (evening k.o.), it snowed and the match was postponed around mid afternoon.

thank you[/quote]

"...going to have my say" - no edit button on here, don´t think I´ll last long, haha

I was to young to go but to see Bruce header that winner in must be one of the best moments for any Norwich Fan to be there watching must have been amazing

once in a lifetime moment and i am sure anyone who was there must remember how good that felt

I was at the game at Portman Rd but cannot really much about it, other than an early goal by them and as others have said wondering how we only lost 1-0. The home leg is a different kettle of wombats, I will never forget that header by Bruce, biggest celebration on the terraces I have been in......

I remember a general sense of bewilderment & deflation when the team was announced. No one could quite understand Paul Clayton being in. Yes we could have been absolutely battered. As for the claim for a second goal, well it was close no doubt. As I recall they were screaming for it but perhaps Micky Channon who was def getting in the ref''s ear was more influential!

I went a remember that we were all pretty pleased coming away with a 1-0 defeat - there was a general feeling of confidence that we would win back at Carrow road.Also remember the split stand (like there used to be in the Barclay) and the "friendly banter" between fans only a few feet away! At the time it was the best result I''d ever seen us get at Ipswich - remember two games in the 70s losing about 4-0 and 5-0 (can''t remember exact details but think we were at the other end for these? Perhaps it''s just my memory[:(])

I was there for both of the 4-0 and the 5-0 thrashings in the 70s and then the later 5-0 one when Matthie got three. The first two flattered us but the last one they seemed to score every time they attacked.

As for the semi I remember being packed in like sardines in the north stand with a considerable number of Norwich supporters to our right in the lower tier of the pioneer as well which I think was unusual for the binners to allow that and possibly due to tickets bought on the gate.

We hardly had a shot and considering they scored so early I left thrilled with a 1-0 defeat.

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]Bruce and Watson centre backs, one of the best pairs we’ve had[/quote]

THE best pair imo