Sign in to follow this  
Canary Poirot

Serious team for Ipswich

Okay, we all know Sunday will be a cauldron of noise, and we will need players big enough for the challenge. So I would suggest some changes to the team. Playing 4-4-2 (as I think it is the most balanced line up).

First off I would drop Colin, as defensively he is weak although quite good going forward. And I would throw the Doc in at right back. Cue everyone laughing at me. But lets face it, we need big guys in there who let Ipswich know they''re on the pitch. And Doc would be a threat from setpieces, and would help us in the air at the back too. Plus he looked quite good at Watford down the right.

Secondly out goes Brennen. He''s too inconsistent for me. And will always have a game where he just goes missing at least once a month. Put Huckerby back in.

Thirdly out goes Marney. Too stand-offish, not enough creativity, not as good as we all thought he was going to be. Replace with McVeigh wide right.

Fourthy out goes Shackell. In comes Davenport. Flemming won''t get dropped. But he''s got experience of these games, and he had a good second half at Watford with Davenport.

So the team would be:

Green

Doc      Davenport  Flemming Drury

McVeigh  Hughes    Safri     Huckerby

Lisbie

Ashton

Only seen us play at Stoke this year, so can only balance my comments on that game and some guess work.

Doc at right back, not quick enough alas. Would play the following in 4-4-2.

Green

RB Colin

LB Drury

CB Flemming

CB Davenport

RM Marney

CM Safri

CM Hughes

LM Hucks

Str Lisbie

Str Ashton

Tempted to play Shacks instead of Flemming, but can’t see how you can drop the Captain for this game and at Stoke he played better than Shacks fo

my team too apart from collin for docherty - doherty is far too slow and wudnt get forward enuf - colin hasnt put a foot wrong this season....

team for Ipswich, where has experience got the team so far this season.Flem,Charlton, young Shackell has had both of them next to him so far.Flem ignores him when he moves team out Charlton ignores him.Shackell has to cover in each game for there lack of pace,height,out of position etc.Shackell has had a couple of poor games this season but lets not forget that someone has said he has been spending time with physio.and getting over two possible broken noses in two games.

If you take Watford game davenport said in his report quote its sometimes easier to play in the second half as a sub because the pressure os off.We now need to play davenport and Shackell as davenport is a right footed player and Shackell left an ideal partnership and let these lads do what they can do.What more motivation do they need than a local derby to start.

Green

Colin / Shacks / Davenport / Drury

Marney / Safri / Hughes

Ashton / McVeigh

Then have Mr.Huckerby in completely a free-roaming role

Subs: Brennan, Lisbie, Flem, Doc, Me if needed

I suspect that you are right with your team with the exception of doc as I think colin will keep his place - can see worthy going with that and it wouldnt be bd IF the tactics were right.

No prizes guessing that I would put Marney in the centre instead of Hughes (red card candidate on sunday?)  and stick with colin on the flank.  

The lack of midfield players mean we have few option to play with given Ashton, Lisbie and Hux will all start and I want WLY to too.  You can only play all 4 in a 4-4-2.

OTBC   

I would like to see a 3-5-2

Green

Drury          Left Centre Half

Davenport   Middle Centre Half

Shackell      Right Centre Half

Colin           Right Wing Back

Brennan       Left Wing back

Hughes        Left Centre Midfield

Safri            Centre midfield

Huckerby      Completely free role

McVeigh

Ashton

Subs The Doc, Lisbie, Marney, Ward, Fleming

Pretty similar line ups coming out and i''m there with the same really, i''d stick McVeigh back in and have Huckerby in the free role as well, so he doesnt stick to the left wing and we just punt the ball to him!
Green
Colin
Shackell
Davenport
Drury
Marney - RW
Safri
Hughes
Huckerby - FR
McVeigh - St
Ashton - St

or...

I''m a bit unsure about Marney, is he a player that you notice what he does in a game when he doesnt play? so...

Green
Colin
Shackell
Davenport
Drury
McVeigh - RW
Safri
Hughes
Brennan - LW
Huckerby - St
Ashton - St

[quote]I would like to see a 3-5-2 Green Drury Left Centre Half Davenport Middle Centre Half Shackell Right Centre Half Colin Right Wing Back Brennan Left Wing back Hug...[/quote]

That''s more or less the team most of us wanted on tuesday and we know Worthy didn''t see it like that so can''t see it happening, nice idea though.

I can''t decide on Flem, or Shacks to partner Davenport - I like the right foot/left foot combo that Shacks gives, but he was slated against Watford & may benefit from missing this biggie. I''d keep Brennan on the left and put WLY down the right with Hucks playing inbehind Ashton and swapping roles with WLY to keep the scummers off balance.

Green

Colin Davenport Fleming Drury

McVeigh Hughes Safri Brennan

Huckerby

Ashton

Totally agree with BedCanary.

As for some other suggestions, Doherty at Right Back?! where on earth did you get this idea from??!!  Mcveigh at Right Midfield has been tried before many times, and he is just anonymous out there. Why is Marney now up for the chop after possibly one of his best performances in the second half at Watford

Beds Canary & Brian Cohen you have it just right. Hux has to be given license to roam - he may frustrate us, lose the ball, take on too many players but he will scare the hell out of any defence just because they don''t know where he will makes his runs from and he WILL create chances. We can operate three in midfield as Colin is excellent at going forward - yes I know he sometimes gets caught out defending but a) he has the pace to get back quickly and b) Shacks & Davenport will cover well. Possibly Brennan instead of Hughes as I agree he is a red card candidate for Sunday. Has to be McVeigh to start as he has such a quick footballing brain and is always willing to try something different even if it doesn''t always come off. I don''t agree with Worthy about wasteful ''fancy dan flicks'' - who would you rather watch, Nicky Butt or Joe Cole? ''Nuff said.

Surely what matters is not who is selected but who turns up!!!!!!!!!!!

We could all have lived with the teams Worthy has selected, even  no WLY at Watford if they had performed to even three quarters of their ability.

What matters is how they play not who.  If there was a catalyst in our ranks, he would be clear by now and whilst we can hope that WLY, Lisbie or Davenport may create the spark, the problems are more widespread and deep set than one good player can turn round on his own. 

I really wish Worthy would try something different!
You''ve hit it right on there breaker with Hucks making runs from all over the place! Would be great, not knowing where he''s going to run from, he''d have to get some understanding with the midfield i guess, but hey that''s what they all get paid for!!
McVeigh as well would be great in there! Sadly ''hard workers'' will always get picked over players who will try something a bit different on the pitch.

Hux must be freed from both defensive duties and the left flank;  given thefreedomofthe park he does cause problems down the right too but does prefer the left.  He is a striker and we should play him as such.

However playing Hux as the sole partner for Ashton means that Deano will get isolated and so restrict his effectiveness.  His best perfromance of the season came against the pilgrims when he linked very well with zipper.  As such either zipper (unlikely) or Lisbie must partner ashton - I cant see lisbiebeing dropped - so we are back to a 3 man attack but with Hux sitting behind the front two.

With a 4 man defence that leaves 3 midfielders which by necessity have to be more defensively minded - which leaves us with

Green

Colin  Davenport Shackell Drury

Marney  Hughes  Safri

hux

Ashton   Lisbie

I know - Flem will play and shacks is out but let me dream a little.

OTBC