Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

A re-setting of aspirations

Very interesting to note the number of posts already talking about the need to stay up or how we need to sign players to try and stay in this league.

The board will be delighted that so many fans have already re-set their aspirations to survival and their mediocre, bargain basement championship future vision.

Not really. It''s exactly the same people that always wet themselves first that are saying this.

Pretty sure Jim suggested Alex Neil was the sole problem last season; perhaps his aspirations have also been reset?

It''s actually no where near as bad as the table looks right now.

Hermans law:

34a Final league table: Any points gained within the first ten matches of the season have no bearing on the final league position. Any points gained or goals scored/conceded will be deducted from the final league table.

You see now? We have another 5 meaningless pre season friendly games to sort this out!

He wasn''t the sole problem but was the main one and had we got rid of him early enough and made a sensible appointment we would have made the top 6.

What I didn''t expect was for us to go and create a whole host if new problems for ourselves this summer. A sensible managerial appointment and a couple of decent defensive signings and we would have been right up there

I rather think concern at being in the relegation places with the worst goals against column in the entire division- having mainly played bottom half teams is rather good reason for concern not "wetting" at the first sight of trouble.

Get your head out of the sand- we have signed league one standard players and, unless we open that cheque book and sort the defence, are in for a rotten season

After successive seasons the majority of fellow so called pant-wetters were still awaiting a decent defence - as it was evident and recognised that was our Achilles Heel......In my pi$$y pants opinion, it still is our Achilles Heel......If my concerns regarding the problems with the squad means I''m classed as a pant-wetter......Long may it incontinentinue........

[quote user="JF"]It''s actually no where near as bad as the table looks right now.

Hermans law:

34a Final league table: Any points gained within the first ten matches of the season have no bearing on the final league position. Any points gained or goals scored/conceded will be deducted from the final league table.

You see now? We have another 5 meaningless pre season friendly games to sort this out![/quote]I see Arsenal are in a relegation battle.

Arsenal in a relegation battle.....Nah.....Serious doubts about Wenger''s Arsenal managerial future?......Probably.......

"I see Arsenal are in a relegation battle."

You''d have been better off going with Spurs who have never won a competitive match at the new Wembley. I think somehow Arsenal with the quality they have will be just fine, and scrape through.

Any more rule changes for this season that we should be made aware of?

You made the rules. After 5 games if you are near the bottom you''re in a relegation battle. Ignore the 120 + points that can still be gathered.

[quote user="Herman"]You made the rules. After 5 games if you are near the bottom you''re in a relegation battle. Ignore the 120 + points that can still be gathered. [/quote]how many of those 120 points do you think we will get

Heres to the new season Herman, Reading away September 20th👍🏻. Let''s hope Farke can sort this bunch out before the opening match

[quote user="city4eva"][quote user="Herman"]You made the rules. After 5 games if you are near the bottom you''re in a relegation battle. Ignore the 120 + points that can still be gathered. [/quote]how many of those 120 points do you think we will get[/quote]110. Thereabouts.

What''s interesting Yorkshire is that I expect to get 6 points from those games.

Having enough to win home games, crumbling at the first sign of pressure away from home. Wasn''t that the exact problem last year?

So this whole new revolution has the exact same issues as before...

I see sky have chosen the Reading match to be their first live Championship match of the season Herman! Must be expecting a battle between two promotion favourites

[quote user="Herman"][quote user="city4eva"][quote user="Herman"]You made the rules. After 5 games if you are near the bottom you''re in a relegation battle. Ignore the 120 + points that can still be gathered. [/quote]how many of those 120 points do you think we will get[/quote]110. Thereabouts.[/quote]It was a sensible question, shame it it didnt get a sensible answer.

Look JFC, I''m gutted we''re relegated as well, but,so there''s no need to keep trying to wind me up about it.But ,some small consolation, L1 was reasonably good fun last time we were down there.

Fair enough Herman, I''ll let it go now 👍🏻. In my defence I did say on what we''ve witnessed so far we are in a relegation battle. Pretty hard to dispute that as we''re bottom 3 and just been hammered by a winless newly promoted team. Let''s hope it''s sorted and not a sign of things to come. We all want a successful team

[quote user="city4eva"][quote user="Herman"][quote user="city4eva"][quote user="Herman"]You made the rules. After 5 games if you are near the bottom you''re in a relegation battle. Ignore the 120 + points that can still be gathered. [/quote]how many of those 120 points do you think we will get[/quote]110. Thereabouts.[/quote]It was a sensible question, shame it it didnt get a sensible answer.

[/quote]There is no sensible answer. Currently the way we''re playing we''ll end up with 4 points. If it clicks then we could get loads. Who knows?!

The title of the thread is "resetting of aspirations", well it seems to me the aspirations should always be the same whoever is a player, manager, coach, owner etc.......and that is that we should aspire to be the best that we can.  It''s a simple idea, we try to be the best that we can. No pre-conceived claptrap that we HAVE to be top of the table, that we HAVE to be promoted, that we HAVE to win games aginst teams who we think we are self-entitled to beat.  We win some we lose some - and that is the fact of it.  Yes, we''ve had a bad start, but all it really is, is two bad away results in succession.  The first three matches were not all bad, by any means.  Yes the defence still looks rocky, the team work isn''t there yet, but any worthwhile change takes time.  The danger is that we now think that every little defensive error or rockiness is part of some deep flaw, but look at any match - teams will always create chances, always put your team under pressure at times. IT IS NOT ALL BAD.  And two bad results in succession is not nice, but it is not the end of things. So the aspirations are the same. To do the best we can. Players and management have had the wake up call now and it is up to them to respond.  It certainly didn''t work against Villa and Millwall, but the QPR match was solid, the Fulham match was a good performance, the Sunderand match had some good things in as well as bad.  It will take time, but the good thing is there is time. 41 matches of time. This season is a new ball game for us. We have a new ethos. An ethos of being fitter than anyone else, an ethos of keeping the ball from the opposition,  an ethos of controlling games.  Well we''ve obviously fallen short so far, but it''s a long season and time to get it right.

It seems that the Board planned with the main concern being to maintain some financial stability in the event of the club''s immediate future being in the second tier.

The ideal of a push for promotion was of course always in their minds but it became of secondary importance to the need for frugality.

Not one member of the current hierarchy is anywhere near the level of being willing to take the risks that characterised McNally''s successes, and ultimately his downfall.

Admittedly the current ''revolution'' is a risk in it''s self but that it is underwritten by extreme financial caution means that it''s liklihood of success has become shaky from the start.

It represents a major change in the club''s direction without the necessary funding to see it through properly. The result is that we are very unlikely to go up, that we won''t go down but that we will be somewhat financially secure for the foreseeable future and until it is necessary to sell off more of our better players.

The assumption that this risk-free revolution is a season premature is very valid. Eighth place lasr

Five games in and even the most optimistic of us are contemplating an extended future of Championship football.

Let''s hope that Daniel Farke can turn it around, that there is at list a bit of risk taking in the market to help him address weaknesses in his squad and that we can resurrect some hopes for a successful season.

If not the spotlight has to inevitably fall upon Delia Smith & Co. with even more intensity than is currently the case.

That''s obvious.