Sign in to follow this  
Indy_Bones

Classic Gunn

Was just reading a BBC article about Gabriel Jesus, and further down it lists the best penalty stoppers to grace the Premier League, and would you know it, the original Gunny is 4th no less, with a 40% save ratio on pens!Only Kharine, Almunia and Srnicek have better percentages![url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41068385[/url]

Funnily enough I''ve actually taken a penalty against Gunn (Bryan). Probably not many people on here who can say that thinking about it.

I was mascot at Birmingham away (3-2 win. Neil Adams scored a penalty). Just a boy, at 9 years old. This was back in the days where there was only one mascot and they normally got a decent kick around with the players. I didnt. I got one penalty, although I didn''t know it at the time....

Put the ball down on the penalty spot, 12 yards out, in front of thousands, 1 on 1 in battle with the Scotland International Goalkeeper.... picked my spot, ran up, and struck a beauty that arrowed directly into the bottom left corner....

Well, it would have done if the c*** hadn''t dived full length to tip it round the post 😂😂😂

Never forgive him for that!

I too have taken penalties against Gunny when I was mascot against Sheffield Wednesday in 1987. Buried a couple, one into the top corner and one just inside the post. It''s often been suggested that he might have let them in because I was only 8 but as you can see from the post above, that wasn''t the case, he didn''t save them because he had NO CHANCE. Got to have a kick around with Kevin Drinkell, even got to keep the 50p that the referee spun up. Fantastic day. Must have made an impression on Gunny too as he recognised me years later in a petrol station. Happy times.

kick it off wrote the following post at 28/08/2017 9:30 PM:

Funnily enough I''ve actually taken a penalty against Gunn (Bryan). Probably not many people on here who can say that thinking about it.

I was mascot at Birmingham away (3-2 win. Neil Adams scored a penalty). Just a boy, at 9 years old. This was back in the days where there was only one mascot and they normally got a decent kick around with the players. I didnt. I got one penalty, although I didn''t know it at the time....

Put the ball down on the penalty spot, 12 yards out, in front of thousands, 1 on 1 in battle with the Scotland International Goalkeeper.... picked my spot, ran up, and struck a beauty that arrowed directly into the bottom left corner....

Well, it would have done if the c*** hadn''t dived full length to tip it round the post 😂😂😂

Never forgive him for that!

Ah yes in those days everyone didn''t have to get a prize for just turning up.

[quote user="Van wink"]Ah yes in those days everyone didn''t have to get a prize for just turning up.[/quote]
Someone inadvertently got him back for me. SkySports used to do a Question Time type show at a different club each week.

Gunn was on the panel when it rolled into Norwich.
Gunn had made a world class save for Scotland the week before.
The question from anonymous audience member was supposed to be "Do you feel you get less credit than you would if you were an English Keeper?" or words to that effect.
Live TV.
The question Bryan was actually asked by anonymous audience member, didn''t quite come out as intended.
"Do you regret the country you were born in?".
Suffice to say Gunny was not very impressed.

Never got to take one against Gunn, although I did get to take one against Chrichton as mascot against Rotherham in a 0-0 draw. Can''t remember him playing too many games so at least I''ve got the honour of that, and I scored bottom corner.