Sign in to follow this  
splutcho

Aden Flint

According to a Telegraph journalist we''re going to be making a £3.5m bid for Flint from Bristol City. Big CB.

Would this ease people''s worries little out of interest?

[quote user="splutcho"]According to a Telegraph journalist we''re going to be making a £3.5m bid for Flint from Bristol City. Big CB.

Would this ease people''s worries little out of interest?[/quote]
Not if rumours are correct and Birmingham had £5mill turned down as "derisory". If anything it would make me even more worried if we''re making bids that are 33% lower than bids that have already been ridiculed and rejected.

This will be somewhat controversial, but I genuinely don''t think he''s any better than what we have already, and certainly not worth even close to 5m or more!Been part of a Bristol team that have finished close to relegation pretty much every year, with one of the worst defensive records in the champs (I admit there are others that are worse, but it ain''t good either), and despite much reported interest in the player over the past few seasons, he''s still at Bristol and still not pulling up any trees IMHO.The only potential advantage he has over players like Franke and Zimmermann is that he''s used to the league, but in terms of quality and potential, I think both of them could be better players, but only as and when they''ve fully adapted to the league and challenges it offers.I''d much rather we went for someone like Leistner than I would Flint, even taking into account the potential risk of players needing to adapt.

What''s more concerning is that the story on the lead page says we''d have to sell to buy, so who will that sale be? Nelson Oliveira is the only real asset we have left who''s fit and God help us if he''s sold!

In all honesty I''d much rather that Klose comes back into the fold and hits the ground running. Centre back problems sorted and we won''t have to likely sell Oliviera to fund it

To be fair, the Pink''Un article says we COULD have to sell, it''s speculation. I don''t see us flogging Oliveira to plug the defence. They know how that would go down.

Even a poster like me who''s asking for patience from his fellow fans, wouldn''t take kindly to the suggestion of selling Nelson to buy Flint, in fact, I think I''d go f**king mental if that was genuinely what the club chose to do, and a lot of my patience would disappear out the window in that scenario...

Indy_Bones wrote the following post at 28/08/2017 6:37 PM:

Even a poster like me who''s asking for patience from his fellow fans, wouldn''t take kindly to the suggestion of selling Nelson to buy Flint, in fact, I think I''d go f**king mental if that was genuinely what the club chose to do, and a lot of my patience would disappear out the window in that scenario...

Agreed. But with Readings manager publicly commenting on him and now this report, 2+2 is certainly making 4 here. Realistically Oliviera is the only player who''s sale would finance this

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Even a poster like me who''s asking for patience from his fellow fans, wouldn''t take kindly to the suggestion of selling Nelson to buy Flint, in fact, I think I''d go f**king mental if that was genuinely what the club chose to do, and a lot of my patience would disappear out the window in that scenario...[/quote]Yep, can''t disagree with that.

Probably money we had earmarked for later if true. I don''t think Oliveira will be here much longer unless our fortunes improve dramatically but I think we should be able to hold onto him this window, if he scores a lot of goals between now and January his value and list of suitors would improve and we obviously benefit from him scoring.

He''ll want to play at a higher level sooner rather than later and it won''t be too much longer until someone makes us a big offer, enjoy him while you can.

If we were to sell Oliveria to fund this we would presumably also have to be in the market to sign a new striker? I think it''s more likely Klose would be off, did Evans make the move from WBA to Man City?

Can''t believe we would consider trading Klose or Oliveira for a bang average Championship defender in Flint, but if needs must....That''s not saying I wouldn''t want Flint, as a bang average Championship defender is what we need right now. Surely we can push the boat out and run up a bit of debt and then see how the Klose/Oliveira situation looks in January?

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Been part of a Bristol team that have finished close to relegation pretty much every year, with one of the worst defensive records in the champs [/quote]Should fit in really well then and be up to speed almost instantly [;)]

I watched the game at Ashton Gate last season and thought that Aden Flint was exactly what we needed, I may even have commented on it. He attacked (and won), everything in the air that came close to him. I remember thinking at the time he would improve our defence by 50% on his own, just because we would half the number of goals conceded at corners etc. He''ll also get a few at the other end.

He tried to play football on the deck, and also looked like their leader. I''d never seen him before so checked him out when I got home, I think Newcastle were interested in him at some point and I think he had some other premiership teams keeping tabs on him.

My view is based on one game, but yes I think he is exaclty what we need. I think he is better than anything we have!

Oliviera is my favourite player, my lad prefers Jerome :-)

But actually, I would consider Oliveira leaving for this lad, we need some immediate surgery at the back and some leadership in the team, otherwise any remaining jewels will be off whether we like it or not!! Think about it, on Saturday I believe this lad would of helped us, Oliveira will win us points in other games (if confidence doesn''t evaporate), but he was able to change the course of Saturday''s fixture. Hope it doesn''t come to that though, I don''t think it will. It will be dipping in to the Murphy money (or window war chest).

Considering Birmingham City already had a 5m bid turned down for this CB, I only see Bristol laughing at 3.5m.

[quote user="City 2nd"]Considering Birmingham City already had a 5m bid turned down for this CB, I only see Bristol laughing at 3.5m.[/quote]

It''s a cunning plan we have thats for sure!

Why does it have to be a choice between Oliveira and Flint as some seem to assume. We should not be selling any more players and we should have enough for Flint if we need him. We may be eating into some "reserves" Webber was no doubt hoping to keep back for a rainy day but we have sold £30m plus worth of players since January

If they sell Oliveria to fund the purchase of Flint the management have completely lost the plot, where are the goals coming from, certainly not Jerome.

Spot on Jim, we have clearly sold more than we have brought in massively in terms of value. My guess is we have a pot of cash that was being saved for January & next summer which may have to be opened up so we can spend a bit now to avert a disaster this seaosn

Jim Smith wrote the following post at 28/08/2017 8:43 PM:

Why does it have to be a choice between Oliveira and Flint as some seem to assume. We should not be selling any more players and we should have enough for Flint if we need him. We may be eating into some "reserves" Webber was no doubt hoping to keep back for a rainy day but we have sold £30m plus worth of players since January

If we''ve got millions of pounds just laying in reserve for a ''rainy day'' then whybthe hell hasn''t this money been spent this summer to give us the best possible chance of promotion, rather than the cheap option we have taken? We have budgeted for a different future and are hoping for a miracle, the PL money has gone

[quote user="cypriotcanary"]If they sell Oliveria to fund the purchase of Flint the management have completely lost the plot, where are the goals coming from, certainly not Jerome.[/quote]34 goals in 81 games in his last 2 seasons with us at this level would say otherwise...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="cypriotcanary"]If they sell Oliveria to fund the purchase of Flint the management have completely lost the plot, where are the goals coming from, certainly not Jerome.[/quote]34 goals in 81 games in his last 2 seasons with us at this level would say otherwise...[/quote]

Not in a stupid tippy tappy system which doesn''t suit him.

Knock the ball into the channels with space for him to run into then maybe, but that wouldn''t fit in with the philosophy nonsense, play to the players strength

[quote user="JF"]Jim Smith wrote the following post at 28/08/2017 8:43 PM:

If we''ve got millions of pounds just laying in reserve for a ''rainy day'' then whybthe hell hasn''t this money been spent this summer to give us the best possible chance of promotion, rather than the cheap option we have taken? We have budgeted for a different future and are hoping for a miracle, the PL money has gone[/quote]

Because they have been trying to get away with doing it on the cheap. Webber no doubt has some sort of bonus linked to getting the wage bill down and hitting budget targets