Sign in to follow this  
Iwans Big Toe

My take on the lack of patience being shown.

The reality is that it''s your opinion and that''s it. You''ve no more idea whether they''d knock back an approach, consider it or bite off the arm of the bloke fronting it.

None of us do. I expect when somebody makes a serious approach we''ll find out. Until then, we''re all just guessing.

Duncan Edwards wrote the following post at 28/08/2017 6:18 PM:

The reality is that it''s your opinion and that''s it. You''ve no more idea whether they''d knock back an approach, consider it or bite off the arm of the bloke fronting it.

None of us do. I expect when somebody makes a serious approach we''ll find out. Until then, we''re all just guessing.

An opinion based on the interviews that they give.

That''s the point I''m trying to make JF, regardless of whether or not our owners would be genuinely receptive to a genuine investor is almost irrelevant in the initial stages.They listened to Cullum, didn''t like his proposal (I don''t blame them either TBH), and when he thought he wasn''t getting where he wanted as quickly as he wanted - he went public to see what impact that could have, and there''s absolutely no reason why any other potential investors couldn''t do exactly the same, and thus the more times it potentially happens, the more reasons fans have to grumble if they feel fair and decent investment is being rebuffed for no good reason.Our owners can''t stop anyone from going public with their interest or desire to purchase the club, so the fact that there''s been absolutely no genuine indication that an interested party (invited or otherwise) has come even close to making an offer suggests that whilst our owners may well be playing ''hard to get'', that''s pretty irrelevant if there''s no-one interested in asking them out...

I also never said they knock back approaches. They certainly don''t put themselves out to welcome one though

Of cause there isn''t any reason that others couldn''t do the same. The difference is that Cullum was a Norwich fan so allegedly wanted the club. Other potential owners know F all about us and with so many other clubs available the only way to attract them would be to throw the hat in the ring. As said already none of us know

Sorry, but I just can''t agree with that viewpoint JF.We''ve been a PREMIER LEAGUE side for 4 out of the past 6 seasons, we don''t need to ''throw our hat into the ring'' in order to garner interest FFS.We''re not some tinpot club in the middle of nowhere that once had a guy called up for the England ''B'' side, that did ok in a cup 30 years ago, we are a club with a massive following each week, a great stadium, are debt free (or close enough to make no odds), and have spent the majority of our time over the past decade, in or around the PL.If potential owners know f**k all about us, it''s because they know f**k all about football, which should be an alarm bell in itself anyway...

Indy_Bones wrote the following post at 28/08/2017 6:35 PM:

Sorry, but I just can''t agree with that viewpoint JF.

We''ve been a PREMIER LEAGUE side for 4 out of the past 6 seasons, we don''t need to ''throw our hat into the ring'' in order to garner interest FFS.

We''re not some tinpot club in the middle of nowhere that once had a guy called up for the England ''B'' side, that did ok in a cup 30 years ago, we are a club with a massive following each week, a great stadium, are debt free (or close enough to make no odds), and have spent the majority of our time over the past decade, in or around the PL.

If potential owners know f**k all about us, it''s because they know f**k all about football, which should be an alarm bell in itself anyway...

And yet clubs without any of that have billionaires lining up to buy them. It''s a mystery isn''t it....

[quote user="Iwans Big Toe"]

After this

disastrous, yet fully avoidable, season our CEO earned himself a nice

7 figure bonus, when 1/3 (or so) of the staff at the football club,

many of whom would have had little to no influence over events that

took place on the pitch the previous season, earned their P45 due to

relegation.

[/quote]The accounts show the number of staff employed by the club was reduced by just three in the wake of that relegation, from 278 to 275. That is a fall of 1.079 per cent rather than a fall of around 33 per cent. And McNally''s (controversial) bonus was 367,500 pounds rather than upwards of a million.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Iwans Big Toe"]

After this

disastrous, yet fully avoidable, season our CEO earned himself a nice

7 figure bonus, when 1/3 (or so) of the staff at the football club,

many of whom would have had little to no influence over events that

took place on the pitch the previous season, earned their P45 due to

relegation.

[/quote]The accounts show the number of staff employed by the club was reduced by just three in the wake of that relegation, from 278 to 275. That is a fall of 1.079 per cent rather than a fall of around 33 per cent. And McNally''s (controversial) bonus was 367,500 pounds rather than upwards of a million.[/quote]So what you''re saying is that even though the figures I had heard reported are some way out, there were still people that lost their jobs due to relegation and the CEO was paid a bonus that I suspect would have more than amply covered the sacked employees salary?But before you answer that question, how about we take a step back and deal with the first question you attempted to dodge. Do you think our transfer dealings in the 2013/14 season constituted good business? Should the club have been applauded for signing 3 strikers (RVW, Hooper and Elmander) that scored just 8 goals in a (combined) 85 appearances between them, whilst shipping out a proven goal scorer and on pitch leader in Grant Holt?

That''s a fantastic question with the benefit of hindsight.

I was genuinely excited by the signings we made that summer, that Wolfswinkel turned out to be a disaster is well documented but I don''t remember anyone at the time complaining that we''d just broken our transfer record signing a Dutch international striker and a bloke who''d been banging them in relentlessly for Celtic.

So, it''s bad business because it didn''t work out, unfortunately when you make these decisions you don''t know how they''ll pan out and at the time they looked ambitious and progressive signings.

It''s a bit like saying betting on Tenby for the 1993 Derby was stupid when you already know he finished tenth. When people made the bet he was hitherto unbeaten, in the best stable in the land and had won the premier trial...all things pointing to him being a good bet; like Van Wolfswinkel, he wasn''t but they both had all the right signs.

Ah, hindsight.I see one of two (or maybe both are applicable) problems with your argument.Hindsight should be used to develop a little bit of foresight so that you don''t make the same mistake so that you don''t make the same mistake again. Failure to do so is incompetence.orEven with the benefit of hindsight you continue to do the same thing over and over again hoping for a different result is what Einstein called insanity.So whether it''s either incompetent or insane, you probably shouldn''t be running a football club.

That doesn''t make any sense at all.

The club have taken a completely different direction and have jettisoned almost the entirety of our defence from last season that was the basis of most of the criticism aimed at the club.

I suppose you''ll say that we haven''t signed players that are good enough again, or that because we aren''t seeing instant success that it''s a failure.

I think you must have a bit of a problem with the board because it seems like you''re suggesting that signing new players is repeating a mistake but that doing the same things over and over, you know, like not changing the playing personnel is insanity. That makes it look a bit like they can''t win. Unless the team wins and then it will likely be down to someone else. Or luck.

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]That doesn''t make any sense at all.

The club have taken a completely different direction and have jettisoned almost the entirety of our defence from last season that was the basis of most of the criticism aimed at the club.

I suppose you''ll say that we haven''t signed players that are good enough again, or that because we aren''t seeing instant success that it''s a failure.

I think you must have a bit of a problem with the board because it seems like you''re suggesting that signing new players is repeating a mistake but that doing the same things over and over, you know, like not changing the playing personnel is insanity. That makes it look a bit like they can''t win. Unless the team wins and then it will likely be down to someone else. Or luck.[/quote]

I think it''s more to do with the inexperienced coaches managers over and over again is the insanity bit and the not acting quickly enough to rectify instead of compounding the mistakes made

A

Does this insanity mean we''ve achieved less than all comparable clubs with that required sanity? If not all then most? If not most then half? If not half then some? If not some then a few?

Maybe sanity is overated...

I was pretty sure that I read in the Times interview with Delia , that she said that investors had enquirer but had been turned away ?

As for Lake dick canary visiting out city more than most , how does he get here ? Most come on unbroken dual carriageway all the way from London or Cambridge , don''t really see infrastructure has much to do with anything .

IBT, it seems strange that the board have made so many "foul-ups" yet, in your own words we are "a football club that has a sold out ground every week of nearly 30,000 supporters, that has spent 4 of the last 7 years in the top flight".

Given who we are, where we are, and what we have, we have vastly over-performed. Yes, there are some similar-ish clubs that have done better, a few that have done much worse but many that have bumped around the Championship and achieved nothing apart from spending a lot of their owner''s money. Cardiff, Ipswich, Wolves, Leeds - I''m just listing the table now, but how many of our rivals have done better than us in recent history? From where I''m sitting, our board has achieved more than most and frankly it takes a significant sense of entitled cognitive bias not to recognise this.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]IBT, it seems strange that the board have made so many "foul-ups" yet, in your own words we are "a football club that has a sold out ground every week of nearly 30,000 supporters, that has spent 4 of the last 7 years in the top flight".

Given who we are, where we are, and what we have, we have vastly over-performed. Yes, there are some similar-ish clubs that have done better, a few that have done much worse but many that have bumped around the Championship and achieved nothing apart from spending a lot of their owner''s money. Cardiff, Ipswich, Wolves, Leeds - I''m just listing the table now, but how many of our rivals have done better than us in recent history? From where I''m sitting, our board has achieved more than most and frankly it takes a significant sense of entitled cognitive bias not to recognise this.[/quote]Like I said in my OP, when the BoD have acted quickly and decisively (goaded by the presence of David McNally who is no longer able to assert his influence due to his impulsive nature that saw us promoted to the top flight) it has been a success. Lambert got us Promoted, then Neil, albeit though they dithered slightly on the latter and we were fortunate to get promoted through the lottery of the play-offs when decisive action would have most likely ended in automatic promotion considering how close we came to it. However, their modus operandi is generally to um and ah over decisions, take their time and dither and that has almost always (although the jury is out on the current sporting director and head coach) ended in disaster. Let me list: They procrastinated over appointing Gunn once we had been relegated and he struggled with the team in the third tier. They dithered about sacking Hughton which resulted in relegation. They "scoured" Europe for a manager only to appoint the youth team coach (who again struggled). They dithered over sacking Neil, which ultimately cost us a place in the Premier League and then the play-offs and possibly promotion the following season. And for every promotion there is a relegation, one of which saw us play third tier football for the first time in 40 odd years.As for the 30,000ish supporters every week. Norwich City are quite literally the only game in town. There are no other professional sports teams within a 50 mile radius, which is something of an anomaly in a country as small a England. Lets see, should the boards current experiment fails (which I hope not), if there are still 20,000 season ticket holders in a couple of years time. My educated guess would be that, judging the general feeling of many on here, numbers will begin to dwindle and the casual supporter might find it easier to block book tickets them and their family.

And like I said in my post, cognitive bias. One man''s decisive decision making is another man''s knee jerk overreaction. Your dithering is my considered, stablity-prefering caution. Living near Derby and Forest who change manager''s every few months, I can see the value of being prepared to give incumbents'' time.

But let''s face it, unless the board have a shocking personality change, we will have Webber, Farke and the rest here for a good long time yet. If they took too long to move Hughton and Neil on, the latest structure demands even more time before deciding to twist instead of stick.

"Fortunate to get promoted through the lottery of the playoffs"

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Yep. We were bloody lucky that we convincingly won the semi and the final.

Look, you''ve got a problem with the board (despite the board taking numerous different guises in the time period you talk of), fine.

All this waffle is just piffle though, and, given the number of changes that the board has undergone, the reality is that your problem lies directly with Delia and Michael.

Directly with the saviours of our club.

The reason for the lack of patience amongst most is that we. Can see what is coming and that it is primarily self inflicted due to errors, incompetence and frankly selfish pig headedness in terms of refusing to listen to any enquiries.

This season has the feel of the Hughton relegation season when we could all see those last 5 fixtures and knew that unless we had a significant buffer from the relegation zone we were going to go down and also could see from early on that we were headed that way unless they made a change.

For relegation in this case see loss of parachute income and long term mediocrity/struggle.

Instead of moaning about last season and the past how about explaining what you would have done in the here and now. And don''t just come out with the boring answer of getting new owners because that is clearly not going to happen.

Why should it not happen?

In the here and now I have no issue with bringing in Farke or indeed the way we are trying to play.

I do though think we have undertaken too big a squad overhaul this summer and that we have bought players who are no good enough most likely due to the fact we are cost cutting excessively. I think we should be taking a bit more of a calculated gamble in our last season of parachute payments because I genuinely believe that if we don''t get back up this year we will not be competitive for a very long time and indeed could even end up back in league 1 in the bit too distant future.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Why should it not happen?

In the here and now I have no issue with bringing in Farke or indeed the way we are trying to play.

I do though think we have undertaken too big a squad overhaul this summer and that we have bought players who are no good enough most likely due to the fact we are cost cutting excessively. I think we should be taking a bit more of a calculated gamble in our last season of parachute payments because I genuinely believe that if we don''t get back up this year we will not be competitive for a very long time and indeed could even end up back in league 1 in the bit too distant future.[/quote] But that is what we did last season, Jim. We took a calculated gamble on getting straight back up. In the summer, of players we valued, we only sold Redmond and got in Oliveira and Pritchard. In the winter, when promotion looked less likely, we offloaded Olsson and Brady but got in Wildschut. Overall, then, three significant players out but three in.But because we didn''t cut then as much as we might have done, we have to cut more now. Given where we are, your "calculated gamble" is much more of a gamble than it is calculated. Posters complain that the board fulfils that overused definition of insanity - doing the same thing and hoping for a different result - but that is what you are advocating.A surefire way of helping us towards League One would be to follow your advice and gamble again, but even more so, getting in high-wage players on long contracts, and finding that doesn''t work.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Jim Smith"]Why should it not happen?

I do though think we have undertaken too big a squad overhaul this summer and that we have bought players who are no good enough most likely due to the fact we are cost cutting excessively. I think we should be taking a bit more of a calculated gamble in our last season of parachute payments because I genuinely believe that if we don''t get back up this year we will not be competitive for a very long time and indeed could even end up back in league 1 in the bit too distant future.[/quote] But that is what we did last season, Jim. We took a calculated gamble on getting straight back up. In the summer, of players we valued, we only sold Redmond and got in Oliveira and Pritchard. In the winter, when promotion looked less likely, we offloaded Olsson and Brady but got in Wildschut. Overall, then, three significant players out but three in.But because we didn''t cut then as much as we might have done, we have to cut more now. Given where we are, your "calculated gamble" is much more of a gamble than it is calculated. Posters complain that the board fulfils that overused definition of insanity - doing the same thing and hoping for a different result - but that is what you are advocating.A surefire way of helping us towards League One would be to follow your advice and gamble again, but even more so, getting in high-wage players on long contracts, and finding that doesn''t work.[/quote]Plus Dijks in on loan, of course, so more signifucant players in than out.

Jim, I''m sure you genuinely believe what you''ve written but to put it into context, Highland Canary just agreed with you. Let that sink in for a moment and you might just wish to reconsider your position.