Sign in to follow this  
sgncfc

Angus Gunn

Not sure how he is escaping criticism on here. At least two of the goals he conceded on Saturday were from shots which were similar to several of ours comfortably saved by the Millwall keeper. Same happened at Villa.

Like Ruddy, he makes some decent saves but lets in some poor attempts as well.

I know he''s young but to date he''s been no better than Rudd - possibly worse as Rudd did actually come for crosses.

He does look out of his depth, and if he wasn''t the son of a city legend would be getting a lot more grief than he is.

I said at the start of th season that it was a MASSIVE gamble shipping out Ruddy for Gunn. It hasn''t paid off. Nor is McGovern much better - this - alongside the defence is why we are where we ste

Thought he was at fault for the 3rd on Saturday, but other than that was let by those in front of him, deserves some slack for age and experience, wouldnt have mattered if DeGea was in goal saturday......... mind you has anyone ever saw the resemblance ? [;)]

He''s exactly as expected. Brilliant shot stopper but for a ''keeper lacks the area command that you would normally need.

How can a rookie like that, however talented, be expected to exert himself overmuch in any case?

He is not the complete article that was desperately needed and John Ruddy would clearly have been the better bet, whatever.

Ridiculous risk.

FFS chaps, how are you still banging the Ruddy drum after at least 2 seasons of below par performances???He was never the same after his injury and the England let down, and we were quite right to move him on rather than paying top level wages for a keeper that was little better than either McGovern or Rudd on a number of occasions.Gunn WILL may a few errors over the season, but he''s already pull off some excellent saves, is already showing to be a better shot stopper than anyone we''ve had since Greeno and Gunn Snr, and will likely get better over the season as his confidence rises and if those infront of him don''t keep leaving him so badly exposed.Funny how he''s seen as a top talent by Guardiola who was only willing to let him go on loan if playing time was guaranteed, but our posters think they know much better, and that Ruddy was clearly a better option...

in my eyes we have 2 inexperienced keepers Matthews and Gunn one from Man city andone of our own

Unless we go up all we have done is given Gunn experience helped Man city develop one of their keepers

and kept Matthews from getting 1st team games so next season we will start with a inexperienced keeper if we do not sign anyone

and with the wage cuts even more next season this season would have been ideal to get matthews some games

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]FFS chaps, how are you still banging the Ruddy drum after at least 2 seasons of below par performances???He was never the same after his injury and the England let down, and we were quite right to move him on rather than paying top level wages for a keeper that was little better than either McGovern or Rudd on a number of occasions.Gunn WILL may a few errors over the season, but he''s already pull off some excellent saves, is already showing to be a better shot stopper than anyone we''ve had since Greeno and Gunn Snr, and will likely get better over the season as his confidence rises and if those infront of him don''t keep leaving him so badly exposed.Funny how he''s seen as a top talent by Guardiola who was only willing to let him go on loan if playing time was guaranteed, but our posters think they know much better, and that Ruddy was clearly a better option...[/quote]

You write as though our improving him helps Norwich not Man City

Sgncfc, I did criticize him in the match thread a few times this week. He should have done better for the 3rd goal and not for the first time this season looks weak in terms of his positioning, especially whilst facing headers/crosses. He will get better though, he''s certainly done okay by all means and is clearly a good shot stopper. Is he better or worse than Ruddy? Hmm, not sure on that one.

Either way he''s no worse than anyone else on our books, and will be our no1 this season so we have to back and support him. Plus, he is young, he will learn and improve.

"FFS chaps, how are you still banging the Ruddy drum after at least 2 seasons of below par performances???"

Didn''t bang the Ruddy drum Indie. Just stated that he would have been a "better bet" than young Gunn.

Our defence lacks an older experienced head behind them.

At least Ruddy would have provide that.

Basically our attention t the goalkeeping situation over the Summer was poor to say the least.

That it is reliant upon an up and coming promising youngster who is just a loanee defies belief.

He''s a good kid, a good prospect and has done well so far but he is the last thing needed between the sticks that we needed at this particular time.

He''s not particularly good at this point, people saying about keepers being good shot stoppers I''d have thought that was a requirement of any keeper it''s all the other bits that make a good keeper, organisation of his defenders commanding the box and so forth. Doesn''t look that good yet and worse still as has been said he''s not even ours to improve

Let''s be honest Matthews wouldn''t have done any worse would he

Best option at the club and did well vs Villa but definately agree with:

"He does look out of his depth, and if he wasn''t the son of a city legend would be getting a lot more grief than he is"

haha - anyone should start ahead of mcgovern.

must try hard captain..

AJ, noted - my comparison was more with Rudd who I think at this point in time in the better keeper and who we should have kept.

But yes, we must back him and hope he improves. His hatred of crosses is a worry though for a 6 6" bloke - especially given our weakness on set pieces.

Never felt we should have signed a rookie keeper, with zero league experience and so much upheaval infront of him. However we made the choice and he is the best we have.

For his size he far from commands the box which I think is the No. 1 priory. At Millwall would say the 3rd goal was saveable and the 4th the cross scored from 2 yards out

Angus Gunn has done alright for us and has looked more assured than I thought he would do after watching him in a few friendlies!

A keeper can only do so much particularly with the poor formations in front of him. Exactly the same as the defence can only do so much and aren''t being helped by a midfield offering them little protection, something most of fans bemoaning our defence fail to see!

Yes Ruddy is a better keeper than Gunn at present but it was a money saving object to let Ruddy go!

[quote user="Indy_Bones"], is already showing to be a better shot stopper than anyone we''ve had since Greeno and Gunn Snr, [/quote]

That''s a bit of a disservice to Ruddy.

But also... Fraser Forster. Unbelievably good.

[quote user="GJP"]But also... Fraser Forster. Unbelievably good.[/quote]Wouldn''t disagree with how good a keeper Forster has become, but let''s not forget that at the time we were playing in League One, so he wasn''t exactly facing the cream of the striking crop each week for us was he...

Need some experience off the field to help on it, if we are to persevere with our young Gunn.

Goalkeepers can be a massive help to the players in front if they talks to them - I''m not sure he does a lot of this?

With the inexperience we find we have in front of him he''s part of the problem . The introduction of some experience like Handley might be a step in the right direction though.

Re: Young Angus.

He''s clearly a super prospect, has done well so far and will probably one day represent his country.

He will also get better as the season progresses.

I still think that his acquisition was the most ludicrous piece of business done all Summer.

I equate it somewhat with the loan of Harry Kane, too raw when experience was needed.

With a defence made up of a couple of Championship newbies of little known relative qualities, with a team needing to find it''s feet in general and with a manager on a learning curve the last thing we needed between the posts was a rookie, IMO. The injury to Klose has probably exacerbated the problem and the acquisition of Hanley might reduce it somewhat but the defence as a UNIT has not worked and although there is no way that this can really be attributed to Gunn''s inexperience I''ll bet that this is partly the cause. Several factors have led to the poorest defence in the league after all.

I was dubious at the time of the loan. However, I do anticipate that by the end of the season he''ll be a fan''s favourite, fully attuned with the demands of regular first team football and just right for Manchester City to sell on for a massive fee, but this is the beginning of the season.

[quote user="GJP"]Doesn''t matter we were in L1. Forster''s ability was obvious.[/quote]So you''re telling me that despite facing strikers who in most cases aren''t even Champs level (never mind Prem level), we can assess a keeper''s overall shot stopping ability - I think not.

You could apply the same logic to his time at Celtic in the SPL. Yet Southampton forked out on him. Or any striker playing lower league against poor defenders (Jamie Vardy for example). Nonsense opinion

Exactly, you could pop Ronaldo or Messi in a League One game - you''d expect them to be the best players on the pitch right? They won''t be facing Premier League defenders, but their skill will be there to be seen.

The same goes for Forster, was clearly destined to be a monster keeper, a shame we couldn''t keep him.