Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

Doesn't say much for Webber, does it?

When he came in he was very critical of previous recruitment and yet we have now got Hanley coming in as the likes of Franke and Husband are so poor!

Whilst I''m pleased with Hanley signing it shows we still waste money on poor players as with better scouting we wouldn''t be stuck with cheap cast offs like the two mentioned above!

I suppose if being charitable you could say he''s realised that what we e brought in is not good enough and has moved to rectify it quickly. Had we got beyond the transfer window it could have been disastrous.

But yes it seems to be a tacit admittance that our other defensive signings are ropey.

Everyone makes mistakes. I''m just glad we''re doing something about it. there''s a positive at least. As you say, imagine going until January with Franke!

People seem to have it in for Franke, but he has good bundesliga experience and may well be better once the team is more settled.  The ideal situation would be one where any of the central defenders are able to slot in to the system at any stage and all of them contribute to the season.

He was terrible at Millwall, absolutely shocking. But then the team as a whole were. I hope you''re right Lakey, you are a particularly positive individual.

Panic buy, perhaps. On form he''s the ''blood and thunder'' Championship defender we probably need.We''re obviously not going to be paying Newcastle (Or even Norwich of recent season) wages. Well, after all that the club have said this summer I certainly hope not. He obviously wants to come and play football.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]I suppose if being charitable you could say he''s realised that what we e brought in is not good enough and has moved to rectify it quickly. Had we got beyond the transfer window it could have been disastrous.

But yes it seems to be a tacit admittance that our other defensive signings are ropey.[/quote]Raggett isn''t here yet, Zimmerman was fourth division (and cheap), Klose''s been injured, and Russell Martin seems spent. I think the hope was that at least one of Klose and Martin could still do a job at this level.Franke''s been thrown into the deep end, but I''d have expected a better showing from a £3million signing.I can understand Webber not wanting to sign a £5million player, reportedly on £40,000 a week, who isn''t going to improve and isn''t Premiership standard. But I think he realises that if he doesn''t do something to shore up the defence, Farke isn''t going to be given any more time by the fans.

LB would probably have been Lewis'' position to lose after his excellent pre-season, him and Toffolo out with injuries isn''t helping. Steipermann looked good at LB during his stint there though.

As for this signing, Zimmermann was only ever bought in as back-up. We let Turner, Bassong and Bennett (and Godfrey as well I suppose) go and bought in Franke, Zimmermann and now hopefully Hanley.

[quote user="Icecream Snow"]I can understand Webber not wanting to sign a £5million player, reportedly on £40,000 a week, who isn''t going to improve and isn''t Premiership standard. But I think he realises that if he doesn''t do something to shore up the defence, Farke isn''t going to be given any more time by the fans.[/quote]Sorry ICS, but I think this says far more about some of our fans than it does either Webber or Farke...

[quote user="lake district canary"]People seem to have it in for Franke, but he has good bundesliga experience and may well be better once the team is more settled.  The ideal situation would be one where any of the central defenders are able to slot in to the system at any stage and all of them contribute to the season.

[/quote]

Lakey, you really do leave yourself open don''t you? When has he played in the Bundesliga? A quick check of his playing career shows different 😂

[quote user="Morgan"]He was terrible at Millwall, absolutely shocking. But then the team as a whole were. I hope you''re right Lakey, you are a particularly positive individual.[/quote]

This Lakey fellow is such a clappy happer he would be delighted to see NCFC in the Bananarama league and would be able to find positives in taking part in the qualifying rounds of the FA Cup.

[quote user="Baldyboy"][quote user="lake district canary"]People seem to have it in for Franke, but he has good bundesliga experience and may well be better once the team is more settled.  The ideal situation would be one where any of the central defenders are able to slot in to the system at any stage and all of them contribute to the season.

[/quote]

Lakey, you really do leave yourself open don''t you? When has he played in the Bundesliga? A quick check of his playing career shows different 😂[/quote]

Apologies. It was Bundesliga 2.  Still Bundesliga though and still a decent level.

Decent level? Have you ever seen any games from there? I lived there for 7 years and it''s on a par with League One at best, just so you know Zimmerman has never played in Bundesliga either and sad to say it shows because they clearly are both League One at best!

[quote user="lincoln canary "]I think some people are oblivious as to how good the championship is.

Outside of the EPL, Seria A, La Liga, and the Bundesliga (A), the Championship is the next best league in Europe.[/quote]I think you''re confusing best with most watched.

Yep, signing a player during the transfer window in a position that everyone has been saying we need more cover in is a definite vote of no confidence. I expect he''s packing his things into a cardboard box as we speak.

[quote user="Herman"][quote user="lincoln canary "]I think some people are oblivious as to how good the championship is.

Outside of the EPL, Seria A, La Liga, and the Bundesliga (A), the Championship is the next best league in Europe.[/quote]I think you''re confusing best with most watched.[/quote]Strangely, I''m sort of with Lincoln on this one to some extent.In terms of competitiveness and unpredictability, I think the Champs is arguably the best in the world in these 2 aspects, but the overall quality of play and player is definitely lacking compared to many of the other top leagues around Europe.I''d say that it''s probably closer to 10th in Europe rather than the 5th that Lincoln suggests, although much of that comes down to how well people rate leagues like Russia, Ukraine, Holland and Portugal.

I can''t think of a league with higher quality, and level of competition, other than the leagues in Lincolns post, that eclipse the championship

Franke is a right sided centre half forced to play on the left because Klose is out injured. Maybe when he plays his preferred position we will see the best of him. Lets hope so!!

We''ll done to Webber, for an inspiring signing today. A decent proven centre half with leadership qualities (new captain material). Something we''ve lacked in recent seasons.

Whilst doubts exist over signings to date one thing I am impressed with is how quickly and relatively quietly Webber conducts deals.

Hanley is just another example, must have been linked to weekend poor performance but deal has been done and dusted within couple of days of any rumours starting.

None of the song and dance and relentless pursuing, ending in failure, that we have previously experienced. (Cue someone saying it''s because they''re all rubbish and no one else wants them!!)

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]It''s not "still bundesliga" though is it? It''s like calling the Championship the Premier League ffs[/quote]

I would say Prem and Champs are a lot closer thatan Bundesliga 1 & 2!