Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Baboon

Grant Hanley

Some early season stats just bring bewilderment, as Paddy Davitt has shown.  Reading and Sheff. Wed at home, Leeds, Boro away, arguably as hard a opening 5 games as you can receive and just 1 goal conceded. A manager leaves us, goes to Preston and his defence delivers that...im speechless.If Hanley does sign for City, i just hope he brings bottled water with him, its either the Norwich water or the air that affects our defences surely?

We''ve haven''t invested properly in this area for years.

Since Malky and Flem, we''ve had defensive issues.

We finally tried with Klose, but in reality the best and most effective defender we''ve had since Malky and Flem was Michael Nelson.

I still think with more game time, a more experienced partner and better coaching, Ryan Bennett would have been a top championship defender.

"Turner and Bassong."

Yes and they usually held their own in the Premier League, give or take a few disasters.

I quite liked Michael Turner although he seemed to go largely unrated at Carrow road because of his clear limitations.

Tough nut and a bit of a ''Stonewall'' defensively, although hardly a class pacey unit, he used his strengths well.

Ironically it is some of those strengths that are sadly lacking nowadays and he sure could get his head to a high ball (at both ends of the pitch.)

Absence makes the heart and all that but some of his type wouldn''t currently go amiss.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I never do think mine are realistic Kingo. Not when they involve the unknown. I think people are much more likely to go to their own default of being miserable or happy. Calling themselves realistic is just a way of trying to dismiss the views of others.[/quote]Maybe these realists who have no regard for the views of others should be called twunts as i saw a liberal sprinkling of that the other day on here.

Daily Mail claiming fee agreed is £3.5 million. I wouldn''t call that a small fee given our record fee is supposedly around £ 8.5 million.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]Daily Mail claiming fee agreed is £3.5 million. I wouldn''t call that a small fee given our record fee is supposedly around £ 8.5 million.[/quote]Should we apply the ''Wildshut'' factoring on the fee, could £3.5M eventually be £1.75M potentially rising to £3.5M with add ons?

Talk of Malky has had my juices running a bit as I often fancied him at the Carrow Road helm, as did many others.

His fall from grace was sudden, clearly self-inflicted and probably deserved.

However he seems to be clawing his way back into the game and has received redemption from the highest level:-

"In December 2016, the Scottish Football Association appointed Mackay as its performance director, responsible for overseeing the development of young players. The anti-racism campaign group Kick It Out made comments that were supportive of Mackay, pointing out that he had since received equality and diversity training from the (English) FA."

Still quite young, and despite his failure at Wigan, he''ll likely be back in club management sooner rather than later, although there''s hardly a chance in a million that it will be at Carrow Road.

What could have been!

The sexual innuendos in my opening paragraph are entirely unintentional, although I did hear that Delia harboured a crush for MM..... or was that Russell Martin (winky.)

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]I never do think mine are realistic Kingo. Not when they involve the unknown. I think people are much more likely to go to their own default of being miserable or happy. Calling themselves realistic is just a way of trying to dismiss the views of others.[/quote]Maybe these realists who have no regard for the views of others should be called twunts as i saw a liberal sprinkling of that the other day on here.[/quote]
See that''s just an example of the whole thing. That thread was made to call out "Happy Clappers". I responded to those that did by calling them "twunts". Whether either insult is more or less realistic I guess is a matter of opinion and will probably come down to whether you''re a happy or miserable poster.
However I didn''t respond when people took it to another thread and I would suggest it''s only relevant here if you think the boy Hanley is a happy clapper or a twunt[;)]

" Calling themselves realists is just a way of trying to dismiss the views of others ".As you obviously think that to put it in the form of a statement who is dismissing the view of others then as from this end i think that a tad rich Nutty ?

[quote user="TIL 1010"]" Calling themselves realists is just a way of trying to dismiss the views of others ".As you obviously think that to put it in the form of a statement who is dismissing the view of others then as from this end i think that a tad rich Nutty ? [/quote]
Eh?

Tilly when I wanted us to keep Worthy as manager it wasn''t realistic it was simply an opinion. When you gushed over the appointment of Peter Grant it wasn''t realistic it was just an opinion. Claiming realism about your own opinion is an arrogant way of dismissing others. And that''s my opinion whether you believe it''s realistic or not. For the record I don''t[;)]

Welcome to Grant, hope he''s the player we need in our defense.A word to the NCFC PR team, if a player leaves a genuine ''massive'' club (anyone spending time in Newcastle will concur) like NUFC please don''t use the term to describe us, the first part of his statement on the web site does look a bit silly."Speaking to Norwich City TV after completing his switch to Carrow Road,

Hanley said: "Being able to come to a massive club and get games is a

big motivation for me.".

If he''s a success, rather than the deal being referred to as 3.5 mill, people on here will be saying we basically got him for the price of the add-ons in the Jacob Murphy deal.

Delighted with this signing could be just what we need. Given that he was on £45000 a week at Newcastle it would be interesting to know how big a pay cut he has taken

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Delighted with this signing could be just what we need. Given that he was on £45000 a week at Newcastle it would be interesting to know how big a pay cut he has taken[/quote]It could be one of those deals where Newcastle still pay a percentage of his wages even though they''ve sold him.

Always thought he was ok when I''ve seen him play for Scotland and has got to be better than we already have.You never know how things will turn out but for £3.5m he''s probably the best CB available that we can afford.Lets hope things work out well

Crunching through the numbers, Harley''s last ''full'' season was with Blackburn in 2015/16.

Blackburn finished 15th, but had the 8th best defensive record that season.

Forming a partnership with Shane Duffy (now at Brighton), Blackburn''s record was as follows :-

Clean sheets - 14

Conceded 1 goal - 19

Conceded 2 goals - 12

Conceded 3 goals - 1

Fortunately, it would appear that conceding 4 goals in a match is alien to him.......