Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Baboon

Grant Hanley

Tettey''s Jig wrote

"apparently he is only on £21k a week as well."

Poor twunt, he will only be able to run the two range rovers whilst struggling to keep a roof over his family''s head!

[quote user="JF"]Tettey''s Jig wrote

"apparently he is only on £21k a week as well."

Poor twunt, he will only be able to run the two range rovers whilst struggling to keep a roof over his family''s head![/quote]

I suppose I meant with the context of seeing Shelvey on £80k and naismith on £50k. I thought the reasonable fee might have come with more wages than we would really like to be paying but £20 odd k for a top level champs centre back is decent value these days.

Perhaps Newcastle weren''t sure if they wanted to let him go until now?

There was a bit of an odd tweet about Hanley being used to announce a new signing a little while ago, unclear if it was about himself or about another new guy...

Either way, once we get Hanley and Klose partnership going, I''ll be far more confident, especially if it means no Russell Martin at cb

Has that been said? All the indications seem to be that this was a very recent decision occasioned by the defence shipping goals and specifically by the realisation that Franke and Zimmermann were so far simply not good enough/unable to cope with the physicality of the Championship.

well that to me is all the more worrying will it always take us 3 signs in a few months to get a player good enough ?

[quote user="norfolkngood"]Has that been said? All the indications seem to be that this was a very recent decision occasioned by the defence shipping goals and specifically by the realisation that Franke and Zimmermann were so far simply not good enough/unable to cope with the physicality of the Championship.

well that to me is all the more worrying will it always take us 3 signs in a few months to get a player good enough ?[/quote]
What more worrying than if we hadn''t made the signing?
However, it is amazingly quick for this to have been done from start to finish in less than 3 days.

All the hallmarks of a panic buy. Can''t see him being much of an improvement on Ryan Bennett. As usual time will tell.

Two centrebacks that hadn''t played any championship football was clearly a gamble. But I''m pretty sure a lot was known about MF, whereas DF knew what Zimmerman offered, having worked with him. Sometimes it takes time for new players to acclimatise to a new style / a different league. Sometimes they will never make the transition. I''m sure no one predicted Klose getting injured in pre season!

I''m pleased with Hanley, not just before he''s done good things in this division previously. I think his leadership skills are greatly needed in our team atm. Hopefully he''ll be able to influence the other defenders around him in both defending well and positioning.

Probably is a panic buy, but then we need to panic. Glad webber has seen the carp defence and tried to go out and do something about it. After Sat it was painfully reinforced that an old school traditional type of guy might be needed so they have at least had a go. Will it work? Who knows right now but better to fail having tried than to have ignored the signs and done nothing. He is probably the best we could have got in the circumstances.

Perhaps we will see a centre half who knows how to win headers. Closely mark the opposition at corners and doesn''t get caught ball watching. He could also suggest to Farke that it is better to let the players play to their strengths rather than to have them trying to stick to some ''plan''. Let the coaches then work on the players fitness,both mental as well as phsical. Get them also working on their weaknesses.Trust the players.

Interestingly most seem to think that the this window should close when the season starts and there seems a lot of merit in that as the present system does not really allow things to settle down until a few games in and many clubs, such as ours, are riddled with rumour and possibly a degree of unrest.

On this particular occasion it would seem to have suited NCFC in as much as it seems probable that we would not have made the significant signing of Grant Hanley in order to address unexpected but obvious weaknesses and we would have been stuck with the defence which was already failing dramatically.

Let''s cash in on this last piece of good fortune, as the system may well change for next season, and get a decent left back in as well.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Interestingly most seem to think that the this window should close when the season starts and there seems a lot of merit in that as the present system does not really allow things to settle down until a few games in and many clubs, such as ours, are riddled with rumour and possibly a degree of unrest.

On this particular occasion it would seem to have suited NCFC in as much as it seems probable that we would not have made the significant signing of Grant Hanley in order to address unexpected but obvious weaknesses and we would have been stuck with the defence which was already failing dramatically.

Let''s cash in on this last piece of good fortune, as the system may well change for next season, and get a decent left back in as well.[/quote]

Unexpected? Untried lower level Germans and Russell Martin as centre backs what could go wrong