Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Baboon

Grant Hanley

He spoke to Martin and Naismith and they had nothing but good things to say.

Really?

That must mean bye bye Klose then, there''s no way we can carry 5 true centre halfs and a back up in Martin for the remainder of the season from Jan when big Rag comes back from Lincoln.

I''m saying Klose as clearly Martin is going nowhere and Zimmer and Franke have just joined.

Unique, sorry to be a stickler but he was part of a defence at Blackburn that conceded 4 goals, v us in the first game of last season.

He didn''t have Duffy next to him and had a total mare (same in the next game before he joined Newcastle) but so did their whole team, they also had Owen Coyle as manager so whatever, i can overlook that.

Every time I''ve seen him he''s been poor, but I''ve only watched him about 3 times so what do I know. Should be just what we need once he gets integrated. Don''t think he''ll stand out in any way but will do a good job and add some experience to the back line and frankly whole squad that was badly need, even at only 25.

3.5 mil seems a tad much though, but they''re asking 20 mil for Gayle so shouldn''t look into that too much. He must have taken a pay cut to come here as well, shows he just wants to play.

Hope this one works out, we badly need it to.

[quote user="Rich T The Biscuit"]That must mean bye bye Klose then, there''s no way we can carry 5 true centre halfs and a back up in Martin for the remainder of the season from Jan when big Rag comes back from Lincoln.

I''m saying Klose as clearly Martin is going nowhere and Zimmer and Franke have just joined.[/quote]If Farke wants to play his preffered 3 at the back, 5 would probably be the minimum we need in the squad for the season. With Raggett we would then have two for each position.

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]You helmet Waveney 😀[/quote]Don''t tell him that Lambert liked him.

FCC

His whole quote is straight out of the "ABC of Football PR" - not one word (apart from the names) was out of place from almost every other such quote from a newly signed player in the past three years; "massive club", "great fans", "fantastic facilities", " spoke to players A, B who said ...".

Boring - let''s find out what he really thinks?

Also

Hanley & Raggett? Our new Forbes & Stringer / Watson & Bruce / Mackay & Fleming? Or will 3 at the back still prevail? I have a hunch Rafa wanted the latter and Hanley wasn''t up to it hence on his way. Will that persuade DF to pursue a flat back 4?

Decent signing.

If the silly numbers being suggested for Jonny Evans are true and Klose really is WBA bound as a replacement, then we should be able to command a lucrative fee for Klose. Perhaps we can get Aden Flint too!

Duffy went on to become integral to a Brighton defence that proved to be the meanest in the Championship last season, alongside Newcastle, for which Hanley played very few games.

Duffy is now appearing regularly for Brighton in the PL which goes a long way to suggesting which of the two was the dominant one.

I''m surprised that some are saying you''ve seen him two or three times and can remember how he played. What do you do, keep notes ?

Got to love it on here.

Everyone''s been saying:

Got to sort defence

Must buy CB

Has to have championship experience

Need traditional hard man defender

Need a leader at the back

Need to spend some money etc etc

Then the moment we do, the normal moaners are on here saying his rubbish, waste of money, only reserve at Newcastle, not impressed when seen him, plays for Scotland so must be rubbish.

Classic pink un thread!

[quote user="rock bus"]Got to love it on here.

Everyone''s been saying:

Got to sort defence

Must buy CB

Then the moment we do, the normal moaners are on here saying his rubbish, waste of money, only reserve at Newcastle, not impressed when seen him, plays for Scotland so must be rubbish.

Classic pink un thread![/quote]
As was the case the same time last year when we signed Oliveira. But now....
[;)]

[quote user="rock bus"]Got to love it on here.

Everyone''s been saying:

Got to sort defence

Must buy CB

Classic pink un thread![/quote]I hope you noticed that my comment was positive old boy [:O]

Fenway.

i can''t really explain it, but when it comes to football (or anything I''m fascinated by) my memory and capacity for absorbing information is greatly enhanced compared to say remembering what happened in a TV show or what absolute pointless nonsense I had to do at work or whatever.

Also at the start of each season I like to watch as many teams as possible to get a feel for the competition, all his games last year came at the start of the season.

It was a year ago but I can remember each of his own goals for Blackburn before he joined Newcastle, I remember him being dominant in the air but hopeless dealing with balls that have bounced on the ground once, seeming like an awkward looking player but timing his tackles well etc.

*hands up

Made myself look a total twunt, which I am.

Got the two players mixed up. I''m a dumba5s!

Perhaps next time I should check my facts before haphazardly spouting rubbish about how I remember him playing a certain way.

I know fu(k all about him as a player.

i am surprised that if he was a target all along why didn''t we part exchange him in the Murphy deal ?

i am sure he was available then as hardly played for Newcastle

we would have had him earlier and maybe stopped a few of the goals we have let in and maybe got a few more points

yes its early but imagine if we missed out of going up by a couple of points would turn out to be a silly mistake to make

I''m happy with this signing, it''s about as best we could get really at this level and without the ridiculous fee attached. apparently he is only on £21k a week as well. it does make me wonder why dijks was too expensive though when he would have been cheaper than Hanley. maybe he as asking like £70k a week or something!

[quote user="norfolkngood"]i am surprised that if he was a target all along why didn''t we part exchange him in the Murphy deal ?

i am sure he was available then as hardly played for Newcastle

we would have had him earlier and maybe stopped a few of the goals we have let in and maybe got a few more points

yes its early but imagine if we missed out of going up by a couple of points would turn out to be a silly mistake to make[/quote]Has that been said? All the indications seem to be that this was a very recent decision occasioned by the defence shipping goals and specifically by the realisation that Franke and Zimmermann were so far simply not good enough/unable to cope with the physicality of the Championship.

Re Klose is better suited to playing Premiership football rather than The Championship perhaps we can keep him on sick pay till we go back up