Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Baboon

Grant Hanley

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]F**k me, will any of the miserablists be happy unless we sign the likes of Kompany, Ramos or Luiz???The last 2 weeks have been full of whines about ''lower level german imports'' and suchlike (as well as the usual Martin bashing), with demands for ''proven Championship defenders'', then when we''re linked with one with over 150 games at this level (as well as 23 in the Prem), that''s suddenly not good enough either.Will you lot of negative nancy''s, please make your f**king minds up, because at the minute it appears that almost anyone we sign is going to get slated before even kicking a ball (and definitely within a couple of games of them having done so), and it''s just pathetic behaviour tbh.[/quote]Agree totally with this. A dose of reality is needed, just look where we are, bottom 3 in the Champs, 12 goals conceded in 5 games, after 69 last season. If he signs, it would be welcome news as far as im concerned.

Indy_Bones wrote the following post at 29/08/2017 6:41 PM:

F**k me, will any of the miserablists be happy unless we sign the likes of Kompany, Ramos or Luiz???

The last 2 weeks have been full of whines about ''lower level german imports'' and suchlike (as well as the usual Martin bashing), with demands for ''proven Championship defenders'', then when we''re linked with one with over 150 games at this level (as well as 23 in the Prem), that''s suddenly not good enough either.

Will you lot of negative nancy''s, please make your f**king minds up, because at the minute it appears that almost anyone we sign is going to get slated before even kicking a ball (and definitely within a couple of games of them having done so), and it''s just pathetic behaviour tbh.

So what is your assessment of the quality and suitability of this player Indy?

Forgive me if you have posted your view elsewhere.

I know nothing about him other than that he hasn''t played very much recently and to be honest that worries me!

[quote user="Van wink"]So what is your assessment of the quality and suitability of this player Indy?

I know nothing about him other than that he hasn''t played very much recently and to be honest that worries me![/quote]Fair question VW, and I''ll try to answer as fairly as I can.I''ve never been overly struck on Hanley, be this at Blackburn or during his time at Newcastle. He strikes me as a bang average player most weeks at best, and a relatively slow liability at his worst, and in truth I don''t think he''s particularly any better than what we already have, although he does have the advantage of knowing the league VERY well compared to our newer players from abroad who seem to be struggling to adapt somewhat.Bearing in mind that Raggett joins in Jan and that Klose is now back to fitness, I think we''d be paying a premium just to appease fans who are already at panic stations after a mere 5 games, and that we should show patience towards our current players rather than looking to just buy another one.I''m not fussed about Flint either for that matter, and in order to drastically improve on what we have, we''d need to spending a hell of a lot more than we are likely to be able (and willing) to spend.My defence of Hanley isn''t because I think he''d be a great signing for us, but simply because he fits the mould of ''experienced championship player'', which is what a number of our panicking fans are demanding, and yet despite this, they''re still not happy...

I think Hanley is exactly what we need, and if we had signed him this time last year (when we were also reportedly in for him) Alex Neil may well still be the incumbent City manager.He knows the league, did well for both Blackburn and Newcastle in this division and was captain at Blackburn by the age of 22, which would seem to suggest that he displays some leadership qualities. Hopefully he can display these apparent leadership and help to organise our defence.But.... as good an addition as I feel he would be to our squad the deal isn''t over the line yet. So shall we hold off until he is a City player before we start to denigrate him huh?

norfolkngood wrote the following post at 29/08/2017 6:44 PM:

Klose to WBA ?

once they sell Evans for a jaw dropping 25 mil plus i am sure they will enquiry about Klose

Tony pulis has been a fan of klose in the past

I''m not convinced that Klose has done anywhere near enough in his time in English football to warrant the attention of an established PL club.

[quote user="JF"]I''m not convinced that Klose has done anywhere near enough in his time in English football to warrant the attention of an established PL club.[/quote]Klose was easily our best defender when he signed in the Jan, and absolutely looked more than good enough for sides like WBA in the PL.He then had a pretty poor season last year at this level, almost as if the additional physicality and frequent ''route 1'' nature of the champs was something he was struggling to adapt to.Oddly enough on the evidence I''ve seen of him both with us and before we signed him, I think he''s actually better suited to the PL than the champs, so actually a sensible signing for a PL club tbh.

Klose has only really had about 10 good performances for us and didn''t seem to enjoy the rougher side of the Championship- I remember Clayton Donaldson having his way with him early last season. That said if he can adjust and stay fit he could be a huge player for us.

I don''t get this idea that we''d need to spend loads to get better than we already have though. We''ve got the worst defensive record this season for a reason and I''ve seen very little from any of our centre backs this season to suggest they are of any great standard.

I struggle with that difference TBH Tilly.

Is it a miserablist or a realist that says this is the worst team for 40 years?

Is it a miserablist or a realist that says our owners have held us back?

Is it a miserablist or a realist that says signing Hanley would be really desperate stuff?

Is it a miserablist or a realist that says Farke is totally and utterly out of his depth?

Is it...

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Indy Bones is struggling to tell the difference between miserablists and realists.[/quote]Are you a miserable realist then? [:P]

An optimist would say if we give this team time to gel they will come good.

A pessamist or misrerabilist would say there is no chance of that happening, all the new players are definitely terrible and the manager doesn''t know what he''s doing.

In my view a realist would say it is too soon to make an informed judgement but the early signs are not positive.

Of course, we''re all realists in our own minds.

I did ask on another thread (can''t for the life of me remember which one though) what signs people had seen so far this season that made me hopeful as right now I''m not seeing much. Having optimism and faith it''ll come good is perfectly reasonable but no need for folks to pretend it''s anything other than just faith.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Van wink"]So what is your assessment of the quality and suitability of this player Indy?

I know nothing about him other than that he hasn''t played very much recently and to be honest that worries me![/quote]Fair question VW, and I''ll try to answer as fairly as I can.I''ve never been overly struck on Hanley, be this at Blackburn or during his time at Newcastle. He strikes me as a bang average player most weeks at best, and a relatively slow liability at his worst, and in truth I don''t think he''s particularly any better than what we already have, although he does have the advantage of knowing the league VERY well compared to our newer players from abroad who seem to be struggling to adapt somewhat.Bearing in mind that Raggett joins in Jan and that Klose is now back to fitness, I think we''d be paying a premium just to appease fans who are already at panic stations after a mere 5 games, and that we should show patience towards our current players rather than looking to just buy another one.I''m not fussed about Flint either for that matter, and in order to drastically improve on what we have, we''d need to spending a hell of a lot more than we are likely to be able (and willing) to spend.My defence of Hanley isn''t because I think he''d be a great signing for us, but simply because he fits the mould of ''experienced championship player'', which is what a number of our panicking fans are demanding, and yet despite this, they''re still not happy...[/quote]That is useful. I''m sure I''ve seen him play but cannot remember what - if anything - I thought of him. I think the point is that he can go straight into the side and provide some solidity and nous, and that will help whoever plays alongside (Franke or Zimmermann or even Klose) to come to terms with the Championship. So we don''t have two centre-backs learning on the job the hard way.I don''t know, but my guess is we will not sell to buy him (assuming he comes) but will use money earmarked for the winter/helping to balance the books next season. But we might try now to offload someone we were not going to, to reduce the wage bill straight away.

I never do think mine are realistic Kingo. Not when they involve the unknown. I think people are much more likely to go to their own default of being miserable or happy. Calling themselves realistic is just a way of trying to dismiss the views of others.

Thanks for reasoned response Indy.

If we do sign him I very much doubt it will be to appease fans but because he brings something to the squad that we need.

[quote user="king canary"]

In my view a realist would say it is too soon to make an informed judgement but the early signs are not positive.[/quote]It will come as a disappoint to some but that is how i see it kc. Having seen all the games home and away this season so far the signs are not good. I have seen some absolute horror shows over the years and Saturday was up there with the most horrific.Nothing miserablist about that but certainly a dose of reality.So easy to band everyone who is critical of what they are seeing at the moment with the serial Pink Un thread starters following a defeat like DCB,Keith Scott,Simmo,Big Vince etc.

It''s the most rational response. The problems we have are not terminal, 1 or 2 additions could turn it all around and the new players should bed in properly. It should get better.

BUT at the same time you can''t just dismiss what has happened already and what may continue if we don''t get those additions in. The types of goal we are conceding, how many goals we are conceding areball genuine reasons for changing concern

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Van wink"]So what is your assessment of the quality and suitability of this player Indy?

I know nothing about him other than that he hasn''t played very much recently and to be honest that worries me![/quote]Fair question VW, and I''ll try to answer as fairly as I can.I''ve never been overly struck on Hanley, be this at Blackburn or during his time at Newcastle. He strikes me as a bang average player most weeks at best, and a relatively slow liability at his worst, and in truth I don''t think he''s particularly any better than what we already have, although he does have the advantage of knowing the league VERY well compared to our newer players from abroad who seem to be struggling to adapt somewhat.Bearing in mind that Raggett joins in Jan and that Klose is now back to fitness, I think we''d be paying a premium just to appease fans who are already at panic stations after a mere 5 games, and that we should show patience towards our current players rather than looking to just buy another one.I''m not fussed about Flint either for that matter, and in order to drastically improve on what we have, we''d need to spending a hell of a lot more than we are likely to be able (and willing) to spend.My defence of Hanley isn''t because I think he''d be a great signing for us, but simply because he fits the mould of ''experienced championship player'', which is what a number of our panicking fans are demanding, and yet despite this, they''re still not happy...[/quote]That is useful. I''m sure I''ve seen him play but cannot remember what - if anything - I thought of him. I think the point is that he can go straight into the side and provide some solidity and nous, and that will help whoever plays alongside (Franke or Zimmermann or even Klose) to come to terms with the Championship. So we don''t have two centre-backs learning on the job the hard way.I don''t know, but my guess is we will not sell to buy him (assuming he comes) but will use money earmarked for the winter/helping to balance the books next season. But we might try now to offload someone we were not going to, to reduce the wage bill straight away.[/quote]I didn''t read your post and I won''t bother reading your reply. I just wanted you to know though that you''re wrong.

That was my thinking. We''ve got too many players new to the Championship, and we need to take that pressure off them.

Hanley will be a solid addition, if not spectacular, but a solid gritty defender is what we need. I suppose I''d take Hanley over Leinster for that reason

Will be signing as the obligatory Scottish central defensive scapegoat for when Martin is out/dropped/right back.Apples

I''m quite liking the thought of Hanley in the centre of defence. Not only will he bring a bit of experience, for it is deemed that our current batch, even including Klose need time to ''settle'' into the demands of the Championship although other players imported by other clubs seem to settle in quite seamlessly, but I sense he will also add a bit of character.

Malky Mckay may not have been the best centre half in the world but defenders always knew he was there and he sure led by example.

I''m hoping that, if he signs, GH will have a similar influence.

Stereotypical Championship centre back. Wont pull up tress, won''t be amazing but will do a job, be solid and knows the Championship answer what comes with it

It''s exactly what we need. Klose, Zimmerman and Franke all lack the Championship experience at the minute in my opinion