Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Baboon

Grant Hanley

Could be a huge signing for us. 
Only 25 now, and Captained Blackburn at just 22. 200 Appearances for Blackburn. Full Scotland international at 19.
Not going to profess to know masses about the guy, but seems to be a big (6''3) ball-playing CB and actually has a bit of defensive nous/vision - more interceptions than any other Champs player the season before last (158). As Paolo Maldini once said "If I have to make a tackle, I''ve already made a mistake".
What we need more than anything in defence is a leader and organiser. We may find that our defence improves when they actually know what they''re doing. How many have we already conceded from Franke going out to cover Husband, leaving us exposed in the middle? How many times have we seen 3 or 4 players around the ball and the shot still coming in because they all leave the tackle to somebody else? Hanley (at least in theory) gives you leadership and organisation immediately.

He''s a bit over-hyped and probably a bit overpriced as it seems a lot of Championship type stalwarts seem to be nowadays. Eg. The latest signing that Reading have just made (Stam seems to possess an ''Arry like disregard for value) but he is exactly what we seem to need.

Need comes at a price.

Doesn''t look like the Newcastle fans have anything good to say about him on their forum.

Still, his record for Blackburn makes me think he has more than enough about him to be a step up from our current group of CBs.

Newcastle fans don''t have anything to good to say about any of their players.

Anyway, I''d be a step up from our current group of CB''s so I welcome Hanley with open arms.

My big worry is that when i saw him play along side R Martin for Scotland, Martin looks a class above. However that may be because he did the attacking of the ball with Martin sweeping up which suited. Time will tell, i think i''d have preferred Flint but this will buy the German players more time to adapt.

lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel) ~ [quote]I wish we hadn''t messed around with Zimmerman and Franke, and just gone for Flint, Hanley, Raggett and Dean from the start![/quote]Because Flint, Hanley, Raggett & Dean aren''t German? [:P]

[quote user="Morgan"]I rate Zimmermann, pair him with Hanley to learn his trade and that free transfer could work out.[/quote]

I agree i actually think Zimmermann has been pretty decent. Far better suited to the English league than Franke so far.

[quote user="Morgan"]I rate Zimmermann, pair him with Hanley to learn his trade and that free transfer could work out.[/quote]I rate Zimmermann too, but Franke has more pedigree and may better long term. But I do wonder if the next game will see Martin and Hanley as the CB pairing......

Maybe he''s being brought in as a minder for Russell Martin rather than his footballing skills, or lack of?

If we see Martin at CB then we may as well pack up at go home. Martin is not good enough at this level anymore - it needs to be accepted.

I think it will be a Klose/Hanley pairing which looks good on paper, unless Klose goes to West Brom (not beyond realms of possibility) - then I think it would be Hanley/Zimmerman. Would like to see us try and hijack the Dean deal to Birmingham if it''s only 2million.

Fair play to Lessingham who called it as happening quite early on

[quote user="unique"]Maybe he''s being brought in as a minder for Russell Martin rather than his footballing skills, or lack of?[/quote]Paul Lambert selected Hanley as captain at Blackburn - That''s good enough for me.Hanley for Martin as the new club captain [Y]

@hogesar

If Evans leaves West Brom we should hopefully be able to set our price at 10million+ and sneak a few extra signings through the door if that happens

Good news if this goes through, we need some blooded English football league experience at the back and Hanley would certainly fit the bill. Good age, and hopefully someone who could become a leader at the back.

Does it matter how good our CB''s are if an opposing player can get down our right side, easily, beat Husband to get to byline and cut it back or to whip a cross in without a challenge being made?Probably not...

Depends what terms we get him on. By all accounts he only played 10 games for them last year, and Newcastle are keen to sell.If he''d been prepared to sit out his Newcastle contract on the reported £40,000, four years would be worth £8million. So I think Newcastle would be looking to subside a payoff to get him off the books.If it''s high wages, it''s likely just to be a two year deal anyway.

As good as this signing looks and I hope it''s a move the right way, although not sure we can move anymore the other way.

Can I be the first to claim the fee will be ''undisclosed''

[quote user="Greavsy"]although not sure we can move anymore the other way. ''[/quote]Were not Newcastle interested in Josh (as well as Jacob) a couple of months ago???????????????

You have to laugh at a couple of thoughts on here and the other various social media outlets.
9am : "WE NEED AN EXPERIENCE CHAMPIONSHIP DEFENDER NOT ANOTHER GERMAN GRRR"
2pm : Norwich agree fee for Grant Hanley
2.01pm : "NOT THAT ONE THOUGH!!!"