Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Baboon

Grant Hanley

Latest name linked.

At least it seems we are going after Championship Cbs now to boost the defence. I just hope anybdeal isn''t reliant on others leaving

i thought we wanted mcgovern naismith & russ to go - perhaps in the other direction?

We could knock the transfer fee off the amount they owe us for Jacob.

Flint is a better fit though as he is a better ball player.

To partner Klose or to replace him ?

this strengthens my thoughts that klose will be going to WBA

otherwise we will have a lot of CB''s on our books

He''s just started year 2 of a 5 year contract at Newcastle and he is one of the fringe players that Benitez wants to move on.However, he is on high salary so can''t see him coming here.

If we continue with zonal defending it doesn''t matter who we sign.

The warning klaxon sounded after I read this -

"Hanley is currently on international duty alongside Russell Martin and Steven Naismith"

as with formations there is little wrong with Zonal marking per se; its behind most of the successful teams in world football.

What is does rely on is players being drilled and taking responsibility for their "zone" - and takes time for a new back line to adopt.

There is always some pain transitioning between systems - the question is how quickly can we get that understanding into the players so it works effectively.

Flint or dean ahead of handley - but would love us to sign one of them please.

Deal is done, he is flying down tonight to sign, will be announced this evening or tommorrow am latest.They didnt want to sign anyone, but felt they had to after the weekend,[:O]

To be honest a choice of Klose, Hanley, Raggart and Zimmerman as central defenders does not seem too bad and a defensive line-up that, whilst not brilliant seems quite sound and will not be a liability to what is really a decent midfield (assuming we retain Tettey) and a decent strike-force (assuming we retain Oliveira.)

Zimmerman could be in waiting as Farke originally suggested. Russell could do the background back-up work for which he is now best suited and Franke could go home.

If we had started the season in this shape perhaps things would be looking brighter by now.

The German experiment hasn''t exactly failed though as we still have two relatively untested imports and Vrancic shows signs (I''ll say no more.) but perhaps it was too much too soon.

This season is too crucial to spend half of it bedding people in to the demands of the English Championship and it''s not too late to get it right.

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. Enough time to give us all something to be more positive about.

I''ve heard he''s already here. Sort of player we need, big strong lad with plenty of championship experience. May make it a bit less pleasant for opposition forwards to play against us.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Deal is done, he is flying down tonight to sign, will be announced this evening or tommorrow am latest.They didnt want to sign anyone, but felt they had to after the weekend,[:O][/quote]If you''re wrong, you''ll have to sit on the naughty step with Waveney, and be tarred with the same brush as "Wes is out for the season" [;)]

It''s funny how we are all so predictable and bend with the wind so predictably.

Pre-season I swallowed all the German hype, loved the write ups and couldn''t wait for the likes of Franke and Vrancic to take the Championship by storm. Bundeslegia was THE answer.

Five games into the season and it''s anything tried and tested British that I want and it doesn''t matter the level that this testing was in.

Raggart, Hanley, Flint? Yes please. Bring ''em all on. I''m desperate for news. HOMEGROWN is the answer.

Must be tough getting it right running a footie club.

@ Ice cream snowIf you''re wrong, you''ll have to sit on the naughty step with Waveney,

and be tarred with the same brush as "Wes is out for the season" Wink [;)]If im wrong, i will donate £50 to the Pups fund.

Hard to see how the finances will work on this.Newcastle paid £6 million for him a year ago and they were also paying big wages last seasonCan`t see us matching either of those so either Newcastle or Hanley will be taking a financial hit or it`s a loan.

Looking likely that Birmingham will be getting both Flint and Harlee Dean (just 2mill from Brentford!) so for us will be either Hanley or no one. Toon are more than happy to sell him to us, but as has been pointed out, his wages there would have been high compared to what he can offer him now. Wages probably more hassle than a transfer fee, im sure City would only offer something much much less than the 5 mill he went to Newcastle for. Maybe if Tettey moved on for 1 mill, plus we had 1 or 2 mill more, we  could just do it, but im far from certain.Hmm, Klose, Zimmerman, Franke, Raggett, Martin, Hanley...even allowing for Russ as a back up, Raggett not yet arrived here, thats 6 CBs...dont know about you guys but to me that does not seem logical.

This player could want big wages plus he''s on a 5 year deal at Newcastle albeit he''s 2 years into that. Maybe if we sell Tetty we would have the wage budget to afford this guy. Flint looks like a good option too and has some goals in him. Plus Flint is on the up and up not the down curve like Hanley who is moving from a bigger club in a higher league. However at 25 Hanley might be the better bet financially at resale as Flint is 28 and a late bloomer (but then so was Holt). With a couple of his compatriots already in the squad there is a decent chance of Hanley settling in and an enhanced chance of our securing him. Either way we need someone who is really hungry who wants to be at our club. Hanley or Flint will do just as long as they''re really up for it.

Apparently Hanley had a mare on his first game for Newcastle, then didn''t start a another game for six months.

'' GH is an international footballer who can''t judge the bounce of a ball.......''

Sounds like he could slot into our defence seamlessly.......

[quote user="Molly Windley"]Hard to see how the finances will work on this.Newcastle paid £6 million for him a year ago and they were also paying big wages last seasonCan`t see us matching either of those so either Newcastle or Hanley will be taking a financial hit or it`s a loan.[/quote]The Newcastle Chronicle has said we want Hanley, and that Newcastle want him to leave:Failure to complete a move in the next couple of days will see Hanley left out of the first-team squad - which is named on September 1 - and left to train with the Academy, with his earliest exit then being in the January window.Hanley is only in year two of a five-year contract (whatever you may say about how Norwich City is run we don''t hand out stupidly long contracts like that...). As a result I can see Newcastle being prepared to take a hit in terms of the fee. Then it would come down to whether Hanley will take a hit on wages in order to play.

Most important thing we need is someone who is willing to take responsibility for the defence.None of the new guys currently look like taking it up- maybe they will, as they settle further- and Russ Martin is conspicuous by his lack thereof. At the minute our hopes would hang on Klose, who might complement Zimmer + Franke with his organisation with their physical attributes.If Hanley has that string to his bow, I''m all for it. If we sell Oliveira to finance it, however...

To be honest I''ve never been that impressed by him but I do recall he''s big and strong and we really just need a CB to play alongside Klose who is decent in the air because crosses are our Achilles heel.

Can''t help but think Dean is the one we should be going after. Not just for his play but the fact he''s a leader on the pitch.

Hanley will be an upgrade though.