Sign in to follow this  
City 2nd

Swans!

Oliveira could be off today. Swansea, where he has played before, are sniffing around at 12m.

Wouldn''t surprise me at all, funds required to purchase Hanley and boost the coffers!

The club may not be too sad to see him go, if indeed there is some substance to this rumour, but without a decent replacement (which is unlikely at a late hour) this would be an appalling decision.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]And to think Swansea were promoted via the playoffs when we went up under Lambert. We''re galaxies apart now.[/quote]

Not really, i think they are one of the contenders for relegation this year.

I agree with YB. Nailed on to go down imo - they look very poor.

As mentioned on another thread - Portugal play this evening so any movement with Nelson will almost certainly be done early doors.

Fuzzar wrote the following post at 2017-08-31 11:11 AM:

You forgot to add your usual mantra.

That being?

BBC says we have rejected £12m for NO.Interesting that we haven''t said that he''s not for sale, just that the money isn''t enough

9:34

Swans bid for Oliveira rejected

Ian Dennis

Senior football reporter for 5 live Sport

Swansea City £12m bid for striker Nelson Oliveira rejected by Norwich City.

Wonder whether we''re playing hardball or genuinely not interested in selling.

I had heard that the only way Nelson might leave is if a Prem team came in for him. Although he sometimes doesn''t look it, I feel he''s happy at Norwich and as found a permanent home, for once!With him having played for Swansea before, I''d like to think this one isn''t going anywhere. His time there before wasn''t great and, although they''re in the Prem, I hope that this fact would be in the back of his mind.It would be utter Norwich career suicide for Webber et al if they sanctioned this move.

Would like to think that "bid rejected" means he''s not for sale... Or maybe this would pay for Gayle???

Certainly hope not to pay for Hanley, I think he is part of our January spend due to leaky defence early doors i.e. Additional Murphy fees

If we secured Gayle, I''d be content to see NO leave, but to lose him on deadline day would be utter suicide, as Jerome & Watkins simply will not score us the goals!

If this is true then Id be shocked if he is still here after today. They will probably come back closer to £15 million and he will be gone 😡

Business wise selling NO for £15m, having signed him for £5 but a couple makes brilliant sense!

Footballing wise, selling looks crazy as I''d expect we''re trying to keep him, and have very little lined up.

We look incredibly poor at the back (Klose & Hanley may make a big difference) and I cannot see where the goals will come from if he goes. And if we got £15m for him would we even consider investing that in quality at this level like Gayle?

There is no way Gayle would currently choose us over Fulham- given our summer activity and current standings. It would be career suicide. Also his wages would be far in excess of what we would pay- given the risk of us going down.

Get ready for Nelson to go- and for us to sign that Belgian lad we had on loan as his replacement.

Gutting but more realistic.

Given the interest in Nelson all summer I would be surprised if we hadn''t considered a replacement and lined them up.

If we couldn''t identify anyone, I''d be surprised if he left.

"If we secured Gayle, I''d be content to see NO leave, but to lose him on deadline day would be utter suicide, as Jerome & Watkins simply will not score us the goals!"

I''d be happier with Gayle than Ollie.

The latter''s continued existence at NCFC has been fragile from the first day of the season, if not before,

The situation must be unsettling for all concerned, not least the manager who had the problem planted onto his plate before he had even got his feet completely through the manager''s office door.

There may be something in the view that Oliveira is a somewhat volatile character, there may not be but there''s no smoke without fire and the Fulham incident has muddied the waters somewhat.

A.N. Other along with Gayle (who is a freer goalscorer than Oliveira, imo) would suit me fine.

That the other be Tom Bradshaw from Barnsley would be perfect.

With the uncertainty surrounding Oliveira it would surely be incompetent if a few alternatives had not already been surveyed.

If we sell him, it HAS to be to Swansea, not Reading, Wolves, Leeds etc. We cannot sell to a direct rival.

As for the replacing him, we would have to smash out transfer record & pay at least 10-12million to get anybody close to his quality. I just cant see that happening.

I expect another statement from Webber, saying how Nelson demanded a move, was not going to play so we had no choice, just like with Howson...

I have little faith in our board pulling off selling Oliviera and replacing with Gayle.

Reports saying that with two bids rejected Swans may now move onto other targets.

I agree that our Board are inept and could never see them going for Gayle, not with the prudence with ambition and cost cutting going on

Looks like Reading are dropping it as well, with reports saying they are turning to Hemed.

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport/15506309.Reading_FC__Swansea_City_join_race_to_sign_Nelson_Oliveira_as_Royals_turn_attention_to_Tomer_Hemed/

From a Swansea paper - ''And it has emerged that Swansea have also enquired about his availability, although sources at the club have dismissed talk of the Welsh club having submitted a £12million bid to re-sign him, and at this stage it is thought a deal for Oliveira is unlikely.''

So thats Swansea out & Reading out, whos next?

If a club had offered 12 mill for Ollie a month or two back then maybe City would have let him go, but not now. Looking around, Assombalonga and Chris Wood went for 15 mill and id like to think Ollie is at least in that kind of category, also the fact that its the last 12 hours of the window, we would find it next to impossible to find anyone of his quality for even 15 mill. We are not overly desperate for the money, the guy by all accounts is happy here, and good chance he may be be in the Portugal squad for the Faroe Islands in a few hours. Also, even if its the least important factor to the club itself, selling NO at this late hour would cause massive ill feeling for the fans, who are already braving the reality of City being in the bottom 3 of the Champs.History has shown NCFC usually do sell a player for whats considered "to good an offer" to resist, but in this instance, id like to see City stand firm and not cave in to any offer, its that important.