Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

Oh No! Were Doomed!!!!

I find it very funny that last week everyone was optimistic about our future and there was talk about what sort of players we should add to the squad when we get promoted. Now after one bad display it''s like we are the worst team in the league and our players are rubbish.
I''ve seen these criticisms:

Hux has been described as lazy, inconsistent and a waste of money.

Henderson was given a hard time at the match on the match on Saturday and hardly anyone is talking about his potential anymore and the fact that he is not a right midfielder but a striker.

Mulryne is a waste of space.

Mackay needs to be dropped even though we have an excellent defensive record.

Rivers is just useless.

Worthington has gone from god to totally inept manager in the space of a day and we should play passing football.

Leon is a donkey, after being brilliant until Saturday.

I will agree that Mullers is not playing well but the rest I think is harsh. No one promised us automatic promotion, signing Hux did not guarantee us promotion it merely gave us a better chance. No one claimed Leon was a donkey when he put two past Ipswich, in fact people built him to better than he probably is but that doesn’t make him a bad player.
Two facts still remain, we are two points clear at the top of the league and we have the best goal difference in the league. I would love to see us play passing football but quite frankly if we get promoted I wouldn’t care less what style of play got us there, getting there is what matters.

I will probably get slated for this post but all I’m really trying to say is lets get behind the team, whoever plays and cheer them on, whether we win or lose. OTBC!

Absolutely right Saint. Football fans are a very fickle lot. Bad vibes from the terraces can filter down to the pitch and make the players nervous and edgy. We have got to play our part too. Keep the faith!

I agree, but althoughwe are still two points clear and the reaction to our defeat was prehaps excessive, what most people are probably upset by is the fact that Bradford at home is a must win game. The manner in which we lost is worrying. Anyway, roll on saturday and then we can judge just where we are

Hmm, I know where you''re coming from saying ''Bradford at home is a must win game'' but that''s theory, not practice. It never works out quite like that.

We beat Sunderland at home, but was that a must-win game? In fact, to beat Sunderland and lose to Bradford is better than the other way around, i.e. taking points off one is more important than the other.

So how''s this for a glass-half-full theory: if we''re going to lose a handful of games all season, better that we lose them against bottom half sides than top half sides, eh?

It also points out that the gap between the quality at the top and bottom isn''t that great. The margins are small - we''ve won lots of games by the odd late goal, they''ve probably lost lots the same way. Its wrong to think that because of the gap in places there''s a big gap in ability. On the day, it just doesn''t work that way.

We''ll probably beat Sheff Utd now, and a win in that game could be more like the proverbial 6 points at the top of the table....

Ama

Agreed Kathy we must keep faith,lets see what happens on Saturday

Not point panicking yet. So we lost to Bradford at home (nothing new in recent seasons). Personally I feel more comfortable if we have the odd poor performance, then everybody comes back down to earth again and enters the next game with the right approach.

Fair point also made earlier in the thread that would rather lose to Bradford than to one of our main rivals. Every year, the run in division one throws up some unexpected results as teams up the top feel the pressure - we won''t be the only ones to do this !. The important thing is at the moment we still have more points on the board than anyone else and could afford a dodgy result. What Worthy said before still stands "its in our own hands....!".