Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Booing Russel Martin touching the ball.

RTTB,

So, if you have no idea what gets said on the pitch how can you possibly know by a finger point he was blaming someone else or that he didn''t have every right to?

Is it possible that ''someone else'' didn''t mark or run with their player further up the pitch, which left someone else exposed, which then left one of the CB''s having to move out of position, leaving the other CB covering two positions, or even the RB having to come inside to help cover the out of position CB, leaving his side open, or a myriad of other possibilities and RM was ''pointing'' out where it went wrong.

Yes, it is of course possible he made an error, they all do, but so far this season he''s made less than any other in their own position, he may have been caught out whilst attempting to cover for others, which others very rarely do for him. Only last weekend he at least read what was happening and positioned himself on the line in an attempt to stop a goal, unfortunately he was unsuccessful but at least he read the game and could see the danger and attempted to quell it.

I refer the right honourable gentleman to my comment re a former player and RM''s communication in my earlier post, a player who as far as I am concerned knows what he is talking about.

["Rich T The Biscuit"]I get your point Mr Gut (sorry seems rude to call you the gut when I don''t know you 😂.

If you watch Naismith he is always trying to rally the players and encourage, all Martin seems to do is want to point to the problem and look for who to blame.

Unfortunately I spend a lot of game time watching players and not the game, which is great when the game is rubbish

If Naismith plays half as many games for us that Russell Martin has and with the same mostly decent results then he will justify his extortionate wage and transfer fee!

I think Naismith has good intentions but also using his mouth at the ref and players to cover up for his failings which are hes not fit enough or athletic enough to ever be of much use to Norwich City.

Naismith has to be one if not the most expensive flops in our history. Hes only still with us cause no one will take on his ridiculous wages.

Martin leads by example something Naismith cannot do most of the time!

We will certainly get relegated if we have a lot of performances like Saturdays for sure but our poor play from Saturday was not all down to Russell Martin!

Farkes nieve formations, a lack of realising his errors, below standard players like Husband and Vranic and below par performances from the likes of Oliviera and Murphy were more closely linked to the s*ite display than Russell Martin playing!

Rich T The Biscuit,

So, you are prepared to post a caustic comment on another poster''s opinion but not reply to my legitimate question of you

Perhaps says all I need to know.

The small band of supporters who rear up on here whenever words of criticism are directed at our hapless captain really do destroy any credibility they might otherwise have had when they argue his merits as an on-field leader.

Example will always form a significant part of good captaincy. What example can Martin possibly set when his own game is in such dire straits?

I too spent a few hours earlier this week with a former player although clearly not the one referred to a few posts back. This particular ex-Canary could not have been more scathing of Martin as a CM and as a leader on the pitch.

danielsroundabout,

You may have seen what follows (interview with Steve Morison), makes interesting reading, particularly he last sentence.

Norwich City’s supporters need to look beyond Russell Martin for the source of their defensive ills.

Morison had his fair share of stick while at City, and has his own views on Martin’s experience.

“People need to find a scapegoat and it seems to be Russ,” said Morison. “I don’t know why. He wasn’t at fault for any of the goals and there are a load of other players out there as well.

“He’s an easy target because he’s the captain and he’s been there a long time. He’s got big shoulders and he’ll be able to deal with it, but a few others need to have a look at themselves in that dressing room.”

Ray,

I''m not surprised that Morrison was critical of those calling for Martin''s removal. Along with any other striker in the Championship, they all know that they are hardly likely to be given a rough time if he is in the centre of the Norwich defence.

As for his other comments, I do agree that Saturday wasn''t one of Martin''s worst days but many regular supporters have seen him these past couple of seasons and are heartily sick of the fact that we continue to persevere with him.

Morrison suggests that he is an easy target because he is captain and has been there a long time. Again Ray, I can''t agree with you (and Morrison) on either of those thoughts. He does not get stick because he is captain, he gets stick because he is an awful leader on the field and this is because he is in such a beleaguered state with his own game. As for having been there for a long time, I don''t hear the crowd calling for Wes''s head very often and he''s been around a fair few years.

I agree with you and the small band of Martin supporters on here, that booing him and calling for his removal during a game is simply not on, but I also understand the frustration that has built up over a long period. This frustration will not be relieved by today''s Archant suggestion that with the arrival of Hanley, Farke might well go with three at the back. They suggested Hanley, Klose and yes, Russell Martin.

He is the one reasonably constant player in a defense that has been shite for a long time. I don''t particularly single him out, all of them have been shite. Fans of all clubs love a scapegoat and Russ is ours. I feel for the man, someone else will step up to the plate over the course of this season

Sorry Ray, missed your post so I''ll happily reply.

You can see by the way in which players talk to others in terms of their expression and how much they put in to it, Martin is a gentle pointer with a glazed look of nothing across his face, Naismith has a snarling look to his face when he''s communicating.

What other managers or players think shows what''s great guy Martin is and I''ve never disputed that, what I have suggested is that his ability to lead the team isn''t up to it.

Martin starts, we''ve conceded 12

Martin doesn''t start, we''ve conceded 0.

That can''t be a coincidence surely, he is the experienced pro who should be helping the new players to settle in to the games should he not?? I hope that Hanley is the perfect replacement who will show true leadership on the pitch and some sort of organisation.

Oh and try rewatching the highlights and look beyond those blinkers you seem to wear when it comes to Martin. I''ll use the Sunderland game again as an example, 2 hapless pieces of defence and we were 3-0 down and out of the game, had he dealt with it properly we would have cleared the lines.

Guys,

I guess we will have to agree to disagree, I see things differently, has he had his best season so far, no, has he made the odd error, yes, but others have made more IMO.

There are many styles of leadership and I''m not sure snarling is the best method, or it certainly wouldn''t be my chosen method.

I have my concerns over our two German CB''s and I think we are probably all of the same mind, or maybe not, that the Hanley signing was not an anticipated one but has been made because the two new guys aren''t quite up to it (yet?).

My choice would be to play 3 at the back and that would be Klose, Hanley Martin. Last season our best CB pairing taking into account goals conceded and points won per game were Klose and Martin and I see no reason why that cannot be replicated with the change of system and adding Hanley.

Whether our manager will find it easy to drop both his countrymen given they were his signings (one assumes) I''m not sure, so I would not be surprised if RM does miss out, or even play at LB? That said, whatever DF decides to do I hope he is successful, although I have a feeling that if RM is left out he will be back.

One thing I would really like to see however, is that DF manages to get the team to defend as a team, currently I feel whoever plays in defence is left exposed by our inability to do so.

Interesting and exciting times, let''s hope they are winning times.