Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Booing Russel Martin touching the ball.

I''d love to add another post that sentimentalises Martin and completely ignores the disadvantages of having him in the starting line-up, but I can''t.

NEXT!

[quote user="Canary Wundaboy"]Russ is boo''d because he''s the constant over the past 3 seasons when we look rubbish in defence. All the other scrapegoats in that back line have gone, Russ is still here. so rightfully or wrongly when the results don''t improve people look for the constant, and Russ is right there in the firing line. It doesn''t help his cause that the only game he hasn''t started we looked rock solid in defence and kept a clean sheet. Back into the team the week after and flying in go the goals against....[/quote]Just a shame that some of our fans are unable to see that the majority of the goals we''ve conceded this season, aren''t because Martin hasn''t been good enough, if anything it''s been Husband who''s been far more to blame as he''s seemed to struggle to get up to speed and genuinely perform in any of his games so far, we''ve also got Franke who looked decent in pre-season, but weak so far in the league, and only the ''backup'' signing of Zimmermann has vaguely impressed, and he''s simply been average to poor in most cases as well.It wouldn''t matter if an opposing winger skinned Husband, waltzed past Franke, jinked past Zimmermann, before selling Gunn a dummy and slotting it in the corner - as it would STILL somehow be Martin''s fault in some fans eyes...

I mean the fact that yet again, in this case, a manager and sporting director have signed their own players, and despite that RM has still got in the team.

Ive defended him, however I admit hes had a poor start to the season. The problem we''ve got is despite his poor start hes not been worse than the others. Again, its not his fault hes picked.

[quote user="king canary"]@nutty

That doesn''t ring true at all. I remember lots of chants about the ''Norfolk cafu'' so to act like fans have always been on his back is just untrue as far as I remember. For the last couple of years, yeah but I think it''s because he seems to have become unfathomably undroppable.[/quote]
I think it started around about here Kingo : -

Great thread link Nutty. Especially the clamouring for Spillane to start.

GJP talking sense their too, as usual.

[Canary Wundaboy"]Russ is boo''d because he''s the constant over the past 3 seasons when we look rubbish in defence. All the other scrapegoats in that back line have gone, Russ is still here. so rightfully or wrongly when the results don''t improve people look for the constant, and Russ is right there in the firing line. It doesn''t help his cause that the only game he hasn''t started we looked rock solid in defence and kept a clean sheet. Back into the team the week after and flying in go the goals against...Just a shame that some of our fans are unable to see that the majority of the goals we''ve conceded this season, aren''t because Martin hasn''t been good enough, if anything it''s been Husband who''s been far more to blame as he''s seemed to struggle to get up to speed and genuinely perform in any of his games so far, we''ve also got Franke who looked decent in pre-season, but weak so far in the league, and only the ''backup'' signing of Zimmermann has vaguely impressed, and he''s simply been average to poor in most cases as well.It wouldn''t matter if an opposing winger skinned Husband, waltzed past Franke, jinked past Zimmermann, before selling Gunn a dummy and slotting it in the corner - as it would STILL somehow be Martin''s fault in some fans eyes...

Spot on!

I was at the game and from what I saw Russell Martin was far from our worst player indeed not even our worst defender and wasn''t to blame for every goal we conceded!

Subbing him for another CB was a complete waste of a substitution and I suspect Farke trying to gain credit with the band wagon jumping ignorants booing Martin!

Husband looks too slow for this League, Franke is still inexperienced and Pintos defending at times isn''t great but hey ho hes foreign and a good crack on twitter so his deficiencies are ignored!

All this bull about the QPR game and Norwich being so rock solid at the back. - QPR had chances but didn''t take them and anyway didn''t Martin come on at the end so in the ignorants theories, we should have fell apart when he came on!

Martin played on Saturday at CB cause he had a very good game at CB against Charlton in the cup.

Russell Martin isn''t a World beater but has been one of our best value signings I''ve ever seen in over 45 years of following Norwich. Hes still good enough to do a job for us although if we''d of signing better players he might be what suits him better at this stage - a decent sub!

Biggest problem we''ve got is an inexperienced foreign Head coach whos trying to win games in the Championship with luxury midfielders who don''t tackle or offer any shield for the defence while playing at a way to slow tempo and trying to play Arsenal like walking the ball into the net style football.

If Russell Martin wouldn''t of played so far this season would we be in a better position? - NO because the tactics, line ups and formations are totally wrong and Farke doesn''t yet get this!

The booing by of Russell Martin was embarrassing and ignorant!

I think Melissa Rudd, on the back page of the pinkun today, got it spot on by describing the boos for Martin as "classless as it gets"

I am not generally in favour of booing, on occasions I can understand it, however not in this case, definitely not.

If it is because he is not good enough then that is not his fault. You can only be as good as you are, if you give your best that is all that can be asked of you. I think it is fair to say that Martin has always done his best for us. Arguably played well above his standard, giving his all for us.

At present it is also difficult to spot a better defender in our squad, it is perhaps not a great idea to destroy the only one that has achieved anything at this level.

Surely everyone who paid their money to go to the game is entitled to their opinion, if they felt that booing was needed then they have a right to express their views don''t they, or are we now saying that people are only allowed to be happy with watching their team and not express a view when they lose?

It''s not his fault he''s in the side it''s the fault of Webber and Farke and it''s Delia et als fault that he got an undeserved new contract.

Yes it''s wrong to single out one player, yes one that had been a great servant, but if we as fans think that we''ve got any chance of gaining promotion with him (and some others) in the side then get those blinkers off.

He doesn''t lead the team, I read some rubbish today that a captain doesn''t need to captain, of course he does he needs to drive the team on when needed. Our problem is we don''t have one of those players other than Naismith

Sure Rich T, everyone is entitled to their opinion, especially those that go to the game. I also agree with you that it is wrong to single out one player that has been a great servant.

I wonder where you get the impression that Naismith is a great leader from, I haven''t seen him set a good example to for himself let alone a team.

Booing a player on your own side is a pointless waste of time and I will never understand why people do it, except that it might be out of some sense of "ohh look what we can do". It''s counter to any kind of idea of  "supporting" that I''ve ever heard of.  It''s not clever, it''s not funny, it''s basically pointless.

I get your point Mr Gut (sorry seems rude to call you the gut when I don''t know you 😂.

If you watch Naismith he is always trying to rally the players and encourage, all Martin seems to do is want to point to the problem and look for who to blame.

Unfortunately I spend a lot of game time watching players and not the game, which is great when the game is rubbish 🤔

No problem Mr Biscuit, you can call me what you want, its the likes of you who make me what I am. Don''t be too polite or I''ll have you for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

When I watch Naismith I don''t see what you see. I tend to have little time for arm wavers, which I class Naismith as the biggest offender. Funny how we see the same things differently.

The likes of me, I thought I was regarded as one of the respectful posters who always tries to apply logic?!?

Indeed Naismith is an arm waver, as is Martin a pointy finger so they all have their faults I guess.

Biscuits - making me gut - breakfast etc ......

Another example how we all see things differently - that was quite humorous in my head. Apologies for any confusion

I have never booed a city player but would be the first to admit to making critical comments during a game.

R Martin was a good if not great player for city in some games brilliant however those days are gone! I know he is agreat guy and green and yellow to the core but he is at best now a back up defender and the real problem is he still has no idea what to do as captain!

He is captain and defender but never organises the defence talks to players anything. He brings no in play leadership almost looks as though doesnt care when we concede another goal!

I am afraid he is now the root cause of the teams decline hence good players leaving.

Need new captain who can bring steel to the team.

Seriously, what thought process genuinely places Russell Martin as the "root of our decline"?

So now, not only is every goal we concede his fault (whether he''s on the pitch or not), but apparently he''s responsible for all our better players leaving!

Next we''ll be hearing he picks himself in the matchday squad. By all means, criticise the guy for his weaknesses, but one thing he does do is care about the club, hence why he is playing through pain killing injections.

Honestly, some fans are so blinkered they have to have a boo boy who is responsible for all the clubs'' woes. Really short-sighted.

I would say they''ve been more shite tbh. Early days with those players, but one criticism of Martin is how his height makes it easy to get out jumped.

In that case, those two should not be beaten to the ball in the box.

I really do not understand why RM is coming in for so much stick from some, actually I probably do but enough of that.

There are complaints that he just points and complains and there is no leadership, when in fact he is pointing out where things went wrong and telling the players accordingly, so hopefully they do not make the same mistake again, surely this is leadership, unless your agenda says otherwise.

Speaking to a ex-player after the QPR game, he was quite adamant that there was no communication on the pitch until RM came on and he is very impressed by his leadership and communication skills. He may be wrong of course, as all our previous managers and his national manager may be!

There are some supporters who believe they know better than all the aforementioned, in which case why aren’t they managing Premier League clubs and earning £5m plus pa?

If we sign a CB who knows what he is doing in this league and reads the game as well as RM, then the pair of them will become a very solid defence, this may be Klose, or maybe not be, but our defensive woes are nothing to do with RM, other that the fact he is playing with players who lack nous.

RM is an astute player imo, the most gifted, possibly not but he reads the game well.

There''s pointing and then there is pointing.....

When he gave the ball away twice in the second half from which Sunderland scored and was clearly to blame, he still try to point to someone else to blame them!!

I have no idea what gets said on the pitch, it''s hard to hear from the stand of course and even harder for some that listen on the radio, but he wouldn''t inspire me as a captain, he''s too nice and needs to get angry when we concede soft goals, not just point.

I look at some of the best captains in the game and they either lead by example or by aggression, not suggesting he needs to become Roy Keane but a bit more aggression and passion wouldn''t go amiss

I could point to him jogging back gently for couple of the goals when he might have attacked the ball or defended the goal line.

There was an interesting observation that Gary Neville made whilst commentating at the Liverpool Arsenal game about defending.

It seemed so obvious but actually when you think about it so basic but very rarely done by all, what was this profound statement I hear you ask, well simply put it was ''when you lose the ball you sprint to get back to defend your goal''

No not suggesting that RM doesn''t but how many of our team actually sprint back or just pass the player on

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 29/08/2017 4:42 PM:

Wouldn''t booing foreign players be more Brexit?

He''s Scottish so as good as foreign, can''t you tell from his strong Scottish accent 😄