Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Booing Russel Martin touching the ball.

"kick it off"]Kingsway - I disagree a bit on Martin, because he gets the brunt of it, but actually Husband is the problem - Franke has to cover for him so Martin ends up as one man trying to do the job of 2 CBs. Agree with everything else though - painfully obvious that Tettey or Trybull was needed to give the midfield some steel yesterday.
The only query I have is you missed Reed out your criticism - so anonymous you forgot he was playing or did you think he did OK? I thought he was absolutely useless myself and can''t really see what he offers the team. 

Yes Reed was also poor yesterday, easy to forget another poor one after that performance!

But at least Reed knows whats required in this Division and has already proved that in other games, unlike Vranic whose nothing more than a show pony who should be playing in a mainland Europe League where they don''t run about and tackle as hard and quick as the Championship!

Husband was the cheap option when we wouldn''t sign the much better equipped Djikks. I feel for him because hes an honest trier and sounded absolutely shell shocked on Radio Norfolk yesterday but his horrendous lack of pace means he will struggle at this level!

What worried me the most yesterday was the fact that it was so blatantly obvious the tactics and team line up wasn''t working but still after even 3-0 down we were still playing the ball sideways and backwards with no urgency and no subs until too late. The Martin substitution was a waste of a sub and done I suspect to try and appease fans. It seems that Farke has no plan B and is trying to justify his tactics, blinkeredly refusing to acknowledge they aren''t working and some players aren''t up to the Championship. - Continue in this vain and we will be in League 1 next season regardless of whether Russell Martins playing or not!

If people wish to use the board as an excuse for them booing our captain, or the fact they pay for a ticket and are therefore entitled to, it says all I need to know about their ''support''

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="hogesar"]I cant understand it considering what hes given this club and the fact that none of other CBs this season have been close to being better than him.[/quote]

What exactly has he given this club? He was a bang average lower league full back plucked from obscurity by Lambert who didn''t even start regularly for us in league 1 at first. He''s now an extremely rich, full international footballer who is no doubt set for life. Yes he seems a nice bloke and yes he''s done well for himself but it''s also very clear that our club has given him an awful lot over the last few years so I don''t see the argument for retaining him in the team/squad when he''s not up to it just out of sentiment. I''m happy to have him around as cover/a squad player this season given the circumstances but we''ve just given him a new contract for gods sake![/quote]

Now we re write history. Martin signed for us in November 09 & played virtually every game in League one after that. Get your facts straight before you use them as a criticism.

And while we''re on the subject of the defence, how is it that Pinto escapes so much of the flak. Yes he''s quick (& great on social media) but his positional play, tackling & heading are as substandard as any of the rest of the team.

Very true Year of the Tiger!

Pinto seems untouchable cause he foreign and goes on social media!

In reality he has his weaknesses as you state!

I seem to remember Garrido a few years ago being the darling of many fans and being completely shielded from criticism. He was competent but he wasn''t as wonderful as many made out!

Very sad at Millwall yesterday having to hear the abuse that Russ got from when Millwall''s first goal went in until he was substituted.
You may have seen on twitter that a fan spoke to him at the station after the game where he was meeting his brother and he said that it really upsets him that fans don''t like him anymore and give him such a hard time when he''s picked to play.
Yes he didn''t have the best of games yesterday but then nor did anyone else, how come it''s always Russ who''s singled out for abuse in this way?

I don''t agree with booing your own players during the game, utterly unhelpful.

Diane, I''d assume the reason he''s getting singled out is that he''s been the one constant throughout 2+ years of shoddy defending.

I don''t think it''s that Kingo. He''s had stick ever since he signed. The reasons have changed over those years but he''s always been a target. It happens with some players and I have no idea why.

Unlike some on here I will be subjective about my thoughts on RM.

Anyone that has read my previous posts will know I''m not a slater and will defend him for some of the seasons he has been here when he was up to it and did add value to the team.

My view is simple, he has had his day, he is no longer good enough for what we need and is not a great leader and captain. All too often he is looking for someone else to blame for mistakes and the stats for this season say it all, when he has started we have conceded 12, when not we didn''t concede.

Now if those that are blinkered can''t even see that that tells a story then they are just as bad as though that boo.

He isn''t good enough, didn''t deserve a new contract and should only be used sparingly. The club has to bring another centre half urgently before we end up in a bigger mess!

Yesterday''s clusterf**k of a match was neatly summed up by a guy trying to start a fight with a fellow Norwich fan after the latter told him to stop abusing Martin.

Was only marginally worse than a bloke who, carrying his young daughter''s Hello Kitty bag, stopped at the top of the stairs shortly after the fourth goal went in, turned to the pitch to chuck some verbals at the defence and offer a wa*ker gesture with said child looking traumatised next to him. Utterly ridiculous.

Sorry Rich, no real problem with your opinion although i dont fully agree, but how are people who get behind the team and players as bad as those that boo every touch of a player in the 5th game of the season?

It sounds like awful self entitlement and like I say, compensating for something they lack in their own lives.

They are not but in the same way that some seem to get great pleasure out of slating him, there are also a lot who just don''t seem to be able to spot the obvious.

There comes a time in all careers when you reach your point, Martin has done that unfortunately.

I''m not one for booing but I do think that people are entitled to an opinion if they have paid money to go and watch the game.

He hasn''t helped himself over the past couple of years some of the things he''s said in pressers.

[quote user="Diane"]Very sad at Millwall yesterday having to hear the abuse that Russ got from when Millwall''s first goal went in until he was substituted.
You may have seen on twitter that a fan spoke to him at the station after the game where he was meeting his brother and he said that it really upsets him that fans don''t like him anymore and give him such a hard time when he''s picked to play.
Yes he didn''t have the best of games yesterday but then nor did anyone else, how come it''s always Russ who''s singled out for abuse in this way?
[/quote]Agree with this Diane. It must be horrible to hear your own fans boo when you get the ball.As I see it he''s been a solid if not great defender for us for a number of years and as Nutty says quite why some players are singled out rather than others who contribute much less is strange.Perhaps he was too willing to face the cameras at the post-match inquests after really bad results. Trying to explain terrible performances was mission impossible. People were looking for a scapegoat and because he was '' on air '' so much he became too associated with our failings ?

For some years but those years are gone unfortunately.

He has been poor for a number of games including last season and just seems to be further and further off the pace of the games needs every week.

solid but not great! Most definitely. He has been consistently poor throughout the last three seasons and I don''t think anyone could argue that point. For instance the shocking backpass v Liverpool as a starter. His game has disintegrated since, particularly as a CB, which he seems to think he is! Undoubtedly his better performances have been as RB. I agree others have been poor, but not from one match to the next and the next and so on.

He was poor yesterday, that was why he was withdrawn. Yes others were too, but the point Farke made in his post match i/v said it all regarding their game plan, and which defender was supposed to attack the high balls. That fact he was withdrawn states the obvious in my opinion. I think Russel will be a bit part player from here on with Klose coming in after the break.

[quote user="kingsway"]Very true Year of the Tiger!

Pinto seems untouchable cause he foreign and goes on social media!

In reality he has his weaknesses as you state!

I seem to remember Garrido a few years ago being the darling of many fans and being completely shielded from criticism. He was competent but he wasn''t as wonderful as many made out![/quote]So would I be nervous playing beside Russell Martin and while we are on the subject of defending watch the hole he left for the first goal, and why have we let Ben Godfrey go on loan when he is a better option at RB cover than Martin beggars belief, unless we are signing more players.

Amazing how they boo Russell Martin but last season cheered Laffery the biggest waster NCFC have ever had on their books

All this bull about we have conceded 12 when Martin has played is garbage in truth! So has Gunn, so has Franke, so has Reed, so has Husband!

Russell Martin may not be the best player we have but he always gives 100%, it''s easy to slate the guy but to boo him whilst actually playing is bloody disgraceful!

Well with the result, the performance, the booing of Russ and the booing of the whole team at the end of the game and our consequent slip into the Championship relegation zone it would now seem that seismic changes will need to be made during the two week break ...... and it''s only five games into the revolution.

Nothing will ever be the same again .... and it''s only five games into the revolution.

Farke will have to re-think his philosophy and his approach to the demands of Championship football or else he is toast.

Certain players might not be seen in the yellow again for the foreseeable future.

Others will come to the fore; Tettey and one or both of the two latest German players.

New signings will have to be made to bolster our League Two defense as a matter of urgency. The purse strings will need loosening whatever the cost.

Saturday 26th. August 2017 could well go down as a watershed day in the recent history of NCFC ..... and it''s only five games into the revolution.

We could rise Phoenix-like from the ashes, but just turning the corner will do. If coming up to the next game it''s all as before and nothing has changed then it will show that we clearly have incompetents at all levels of running the club and I''ll be booing into my laptop along with the best of them because the status quo clearly will not work.

Five games but the portends could hardly be worse.

Martin is now in the same boat Craig Fleming got in to at the end of his playing career with us. An excellent full back who moved to centre half, but struggled as time and age caught up with him. Sadly Russ is past his best, and some of his performances in the last couple of years fall short of the high standards he has set (he is not alone in this mind you) but we have no better option available in the squad at the moment. Once the fans turn against a player it takes some something special to win them back. He has been an excellent servant to the club and he is a really nice guy off the pitch, but don''t let him be remembered as this seasons hoping target.

@nutty

That doesn''t ring true at all. I remember lots of chants about the ''Norfolk cafu'' so to act like fans have always been on his back is just untrue as far as I remember. For the last couple of years, yeah but I think it''s because he seems to have become unfathomably undroppable.

I know Russ personally and can guarantee you that he cares deeply for the club and this will really hurt him. It''s hardly his fault that the club have penny pinched and failed to buy better replacements. Totally pathetic behaviour by so called fans of the club. Several villages were missing their idiots yesterday

daly wrote the following post at 2017-08-27 10:43 PM:

Amazing how they boo Russell Martin but last season cheered Laffery the biggest waster NCFC have ever had on their books

I ATHINK RVW took that accolade!

Russ is boo''d because he''s the constant over the past 3 seasons when we look rubbish in defence. All the other scrapegoats in that back line have gone, Russ is still here. so rightfully or wrongly when the results don''t improve people look for the constant, and Russ is right there in the firing line. It doesn''t help his cause that the only game he hasn''t started we looked rock solid in defence and kept a clean sheet. Back into the team the week after and flying in go the goals against....