Sign in to follow this  
Carrow89

Going, going, gone

They''ll be a lot of supporters with various player''s names on the back of their replica shirts breathing a sigh of relief tonight.

Well it''s a long relegation battle ahead now ,anybody thinking the shambles seen so far can be put right with the signing of one average centre back are clearly deluded .

Well, I''m delighted with that. As far as we know, Oliveira has stayed put, and with Hanley and (hopefully an adapted) Klose to come into the side we should see a big improvement before long, I''m sure.

It''s been a poor transfer window imo.

We''re a short of a CDM, left back and an decent experienced goalkeeper (that''s not McGovern!)

All the German siginings are questionable, and so far look out of their depth.

Hanley and Reed look to be the most astute signings, but not keeping Howson was disappointing.

Looking forward to seeing what a Klose, Hanley centre back partnership brings to the fold. Add in Tettey in front of them and we may start competing again

It has been a poor window - one of the worst I remember

At the end of last season we needed

1. A decent LB - Dijks?

2. Two vastly better CBs

3. Shed the excess midfielders

We would then have been pushing for promotion and nailed on for the playoffs.

Instead we

1. Oversaw the largest ever overhaul of the team

2. Sold established first team players

3. Replaced them with bargain bucket untested players

4. Failed to improve the shaky defence

5. Hired a manager from the level of Lowestoft

It beggars belief as to how this has happened really. Some massive risks taken and all on the promise that one lucky season for Huddersfield proved it would work.

Sorry but you can''t buy players for £250k and expect they will perform better than those purchased by other clubs for millions or than those you yourself sold who were worth millions not thousands .

And that is why we have the worst defensive record of shy club in the top three divisions and a relegation fight ahead

Holding on to all our big players, even though clubs came in for them showed a bit of resolve from the club. So I think the window was good for Norwich.

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]Bloody glad it''s over![/quote]It''s still open in Spain. Mind you it''s a bit warmer there so an open window may be a blessed relief for them.I expect several bids from insert name of Spanish club here for insert name of player here which will be a disaster and definitely signal our relegation to the insert number here tier of the football pyramid.[:D]

In reality we wont know how good or bad this window was until we are several months further into the season. We have brought in coaches and many players who are unfamiliar with championship and it will undoubtedly take time for them to adapt.

Personally I think we needed to make wholesale changes as the squad had become stale and bloated with too many high earners to balance the books at this level. I cant say I''m sorry to see us lose any of the players who have left (Howson wanted out and Ruddy couldn''t be retained on his current contract), but I do still feel we are a little light with defensive midfield cover and striking options.

Although Webber himself acknowledged it would take 2 or 3 windows for the squad to shape up properly.

I don''t agree that this is a huge gamble, quite the opposite. We''re attempting to work to a sustainable model for the club regardless of what level we find ourselves at. Yes, it may give us a longer shot at promotion in the short term, but a real gamble would have been to retain the high earners, spend more on high profile players and risk financial ruin were we not to be promoted this season (although of course that''s the only thing that would have made many fans happy!).

One thing is for sure, we''ve certainly been given the huge change many of us demanded, as fans we just have to hope and pray that it begins to come together sometime soon!

Considering the expectation that we were always going to be trimming the wage bill, I''m moderately happy. The biggest issue, though, is the absence of LB cover. Husband has been poor so far, but if he gets injured there''s only Stiepermann (primarily a midfielder, I believe) who can cover there. Perhaps the signing of Hanley and the return of Klose points more towards wing-backs being used more frequently?

The man with the money chases the man with the dream and success breeds success. You are always broke and lacking money once vision, ambition and hunger dies- as I fear happened with our board some time ago. Lets be honest- they hate the Prem and want to be mid champ and, in their desire to run the club on a local sustainable model in an era of global revenue and backers- show signs of being tired and beyond a use by date. I fear it is this lack of real ambition that has cost us for seasons now- witness the lack of spend last time we went up- the refusal to address obvious flaws when we could- the money wasted as managers were kept on too long etc...

Bottom line- has the window made us stronger or weaker. 0-4 to Millwall and our goals against tells you the answer, barring a miracle. Look it MAY come good- but the amount we spent on new guys doesnt suggest it will to me. If you could easily replace £6million pound players for a few hundred grand- others would do it. Sometimes it happens but is a fluke when it does. Usually you get what you pay for and we paid peanuts.

And to those saying we retained our talent - are you joking? Some of it maybe. But this tells a different story

Ruddy- Gunn

Howson- Vrancic

Murphy- Watkins

Dijks- Husband

Success

[quote user="Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB"]DCB, I respect your right to an opinion, you are clearly psychic, can I have the winning pools numbers for this weekend please.......[/quote]I expect he''ll be able to give you last weeks.

Sorry- where did I make any predictions. It was a summary only of what we have witnessed.

Sorry if it doesnt allow you to stick your head in the sand and pretend everything is rosy.

As I clearly say- this massive gamble might work- but odds are against it.

But I have been a canary long enough to know we will have highs and lows....but they are getting much bigger as football moves on...and this feels horribly like the Roeder/grant era to me.

[quote user="Dean Coneys boots"]The man with the money chases the man with the dream and success breeds success. You are always broke and lacking money once vision, ambition and hunger dies- as I fear happened with our board some time ago. Lets be honest- they hate the Prem and want to be mid champ and, in their desire to run the club on a local sustainable model in an era of global revenue and backers- show signs of being tired and beyond a use by date. I fear it is this lack of real ambition that has cost us for seasons now- witness the lack of spend last time we went up- the refusal to address obvious flaws when we could- the money wasted as managers were kept on too long etc...

[/quote]

This paragraph says it all about people who have a problem with the way the club is run.  They just cannot understand that there are more things important to the well being of a club than just how much money they have or spend.  Ambition?  The ambition is to do as well as we can, without selling out to a speculator. Simples.  It means building from youth, it means being clever in the transfer market and not spending ridiculous amount of millions of pounds on players who are has beens or who are just not worth that kind of stupid money.  Do we want to be like those wonderful clubs like Villa?  Leeds? Blackburn? QPR? Cardiff for goodness sake? Hull who have lost a large proportion if their fans because of the new owner?  I really don''t get it DCB, you claim to want the best for the club, but you only focus on one thing - money.  Supposedly rich owners may help some clubs, it''s worked for Southampton long term (even though they had to go into administration to do it) but it hasn''t helped many others.......just look 40 miles down the road....

I''ll tell you this, hanging on to Nelson was a great achievement imo.

Imagine the joy on here if we had just signed a Portuguese international striker who had scored for his country last night.

I think if we keep a bit of perspective it wasn''t a bad window.

Leicester

Southampton

Bournemouth

Watford

A list of clubs with wealthy outside investors who have all had prolonged investment. One of them even won the Premier League.

Even Manchester City, who it would be foolish to compare to, with their big bad foreign owners, have made a huge difference to the local community in Manchester. And obviously built a world class squad.

Listing a number of failures, such as Ipswich etc gives a completely unbalanced argument. I''d be willing to take the risk if it meant we had the chance to become an established Premier League club buying lots of quality players, instead of German lower league players.

The fact of the matter is, unless we get significant investment, we will continue to be a middling yo yo/Championship club. To think we can realistically compete with our budget is naive to the extreme. Like it or not, football mainly comes down to money these days, some fans need to get used to the idea.

"Ambition? The ambition is to do as well as we can, without selling out to a speculator."

That is the current ownership ambitions. Fans are allowed to have different ones for the club.