Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Wal

Things that have changed in football that annoy you

There are numerous things that annoy me, things that have changed for the worse or for no reason.

1. Seeing international caps being given out so easily.

2. Seeing eleven (or is it twelve) substitutes in international matches.

3. Ridiculously high transfer fees.

4. Ridiculously high wages.

5. A loan system that is abused by the richest clubs.

6. Seeing two goal line assistant referees (who do nothing) in European games.

7. Seeing players exaggerating injury when fouled.

8. Seeing players falling to the ground when another player touches them.

9. Seeing shirts being pulled and players being held in the penalty area that apparently referees cannot see.

10. Three match bans instead of longer for extremely dangerous foul play.

11. Transfer fees that are ''undisclosed''.

12. Referees that think the game is all about them.

......... I must be getting old and grumpy because it took me no time at all to compile this list, so much so that I am sure I could have added half as many again had I thought about it longer.

Am I alone with these annoyances?

Should I start following indoor bowls or something else and forget all about football?

Plenty of things that are better too though.

Goalkeepers not being able to pick up a back pass.

Off side rule is much better.

Being able to see your team live on tv much more often.

Fans forums

Hairy Canary wrote the following post at 02/09/2017 7:46 AM:

"Plenty of things that are better too though.

Being able to see your team live on tv much more often"

And of course the size of the screens.

Fans that get upset when a player gives some back after spending 90 minutes abusing said player.

The level of refereeing in this country is woeful at times. I thought they were supposed to know the rule book better than anyone.

My biggest, biggest gripe with modern football, aside of all the money and TV deal crap, is penalties. This theory or logic that a player must go to ground to get a penalty is ludicrous. A foul is a foul - if the player is still standing it shouldn''t make a difference. Grumble grumble...

Too many to bother typing.

Current one is ball being kicked out of play when player goes down. Unless its a head injury or an obvious bad injury, then just get on with it. Player kicks ball out of play to be "fair" to the opposition but same player will dive in box to get "unfair" penalty.

And then supporters clap loudly as if the player who kicks it back, normally all the way to the goalkeeper, has just run a marathon for his local charity.

I certainly agree with Lessingham - International Breaks, they really get up my nose.

Oh, and small countries playing in the big boy competitions. I ask you, Portugal 5 Faroe Islands 1, Belgium 9 Gibraltar 0, Malta 0 England 4. All the smaller team does is defend all match and tries to let in as few as possible. What''s the point?

Surely Andorra, Gibralta, Malta, Liechtenstein and the like would be better playing each other in a league format with progression to a higher ''division'' if they were successful. As it is many of those matches are pointless.

Has the Vatican got a team?

Fans who think they know more than the manager

Fans who think the season is over after 5 games

Fans who think a match is over when we concede first

Actually, there isn''t much about the game itself that annoys me, it''s other fans!

The whole "brand" ethos of football these days

The sheer boredom due to the fact that football is no longer competitive in the top league and our (and many clubs) only aim from now on will only ever be survival when we are there

Lack of coloured goal nets

Library-like atmospheres at games

Identikit stadiums

The sh*t and drivel modern commentators and their co-commentators come out with

Time added on - the standard 3 minutes

Meaningless contracts/players sulking and refusing to play - basically refusing to do the job they are contracted to do

Every aspect of the game has changed for the worse -- anybody over the age of 50 denying that is either thick as two short ones, scared to let go because football is all that they have, or they''re in the early stages of dementia.Anybody suffering from all the above symptoms are Ipswich supporters.Me - I don''t want to let go - not because I''m scared to and have nothing else in my life, but because I believe football can be cured - everything in life is cyclical - that''s why Earth is round - like a football.

Number 4 is one of the things that annoy me most when people moan about it. You don''t hear anyone moaning about golfers, tennis players, boxers, F1 drivers ridiculous wages. No, just footballers.if it''s the going rate and clubs are prepared to pay it then good luck to them