Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

slovakia v England....

Apart from the first 10 thought we did okay, I''ve zero expectation with England though. Ten years ago pub would of been rammed, bar me and a mate not one person watching. Premierleague is much the same

[quote user="lake district canary"]Worst football I''ve seen........since the last england match.

[/quote]

You havnt watched us much this year if you think this is bad

Its very fashionable to criticise the England team but looks to me like we''re giving it a good go. Best qualifier in a while for competitiveness

Nobody ever has a good word to say about them but apparently they''re overrated.

[quote user="hogesar"]Its very fashionable to criticise the England team but looks to me like we''re giving it a good go. Best qualifier in a while for competitiveness[/quote]It''s got nothing to do with fashion, it''s about wanting to see something to encourage you to carry on watching the game.  The odd flash of good play is nothing compared to watching a controlled performance for a whole match. The amount of wayward passing and poor play does nothing to help that. Competitive it may be, good football, it isn''t, imo.

Decent individuals but nothing like a team, completely reliant on moments of individual skill. Good enough for low pressure qualifiers but will never win a summer competition without deep changes.

Norwich have plenty of times when they''re a bit rubbish and have players who look like they don''t care...

But it doesn''t stop me supporting them.

Exactly GJP.

And to be fair, tonight against half decent opposition thought they got stuck in, battled to get the equaliser then dominated and Rashford scored a great winner.

Which is more than I can say for the majority of Norwich matches this season.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Worst football I''ve seen........since the last england match.

[/quote]You must have missed the Hungary v Portugal game yesterday then.

If Norwich had put in a performance like that Lakey, turning it around completely after a poor first 30 minutes to control the game, I guarantee you would have been bigging us up for days.

It seems that so many people have a blind spot when it comes to England matches.

I also get that most people find the qualifiers boring but somehow seem to manage to turn it into an England criticism even though its the same for all the higher ranked teams.

[quote user="STFU"]If Norwich had put in a performance like that Lakey, turning it around completely after a poor first 30 minutes to control the game, I guarantee you would have been bigging us up for days.

It seems that so many people have a blind spot when it comes to England matches.[/quote]The way we turned around the Fulham game was pretty good, it has to be said, after the first half where we were really up against it from a rampant Fulham. From what I saw of tonight, the first half was just dire to watch, from anyone''s point of view.

The way we turned round the Fulham game? We scored a last minute equaliser for Christs sake, that''s hardly turning the game around!

[quote user="Baldyboy"]The way we turned round the Fulham game? We scored a last minute equaliser for Christs sake, that''s hardly turning the game around![/quote]Err, we were losing, getting well beaten, we got control of the game, dominated the second half and deservedly scored to get a valuable point. We didn''t win, if that is what you mean, but we turned a game that we were losing. Credit where credit is due.

I haven''t watched a full England game since not hanging around to watch the penalties when they drew 2-2 with Portugal at the 2004 Euros. I knew how it would play out then and they haven''t done anything to change my mind in the 13 years since. I''ve missed nothing apart from the inevitable disappointment from following England and I am happier for it.

I thought we were poor in the first half, standing off the Slovaks while they were in possession and toothless when we attacked. Much better in the second half with more pressing, attacking play and rewarded with a good goal.

Sometimes I wonder if we are trying to play in a way that doesn''t suit our ability though - the possession style versus a more high tempo attacking method with crosses from wingers into the box.

[quote user="Iwans Big Toe"]I haven''t watched a full England game since not hanging around to watch the penalties when they drew 2-2 with Portugal at the 2004 Euros. I knew how it would play out then and they haven''t done anything to change my mind in the 13 years since. I''ve missed nothing apart from the inevitable disappointment from following England and I am happier for it.[/quote]

Friday''s match was the first one I have watched in years, safe to say, it hasn''t improved. The players may be more individually skilled, but as for playing style and as a team......   Maybe it''s me, but I can find nothing in the latest crop of players to get interested in.  It''s almost like watching a computer game where the football is so far removed from anything fluent that it ceases to become watchable. Friday''s match was the hardest game of football to watch I''ve ever seen. Yesterday was not much better, at least they exerted some control in the second half. Watching Deli Ali playing on the brink of losing his top every time something doesn''t go his way isn''t something I want to see and too much selfish play too, with players failing to make the sensible pass and going it on their own too often and usually losing the opportunity for the team to score.  A lot to improve.

We played OK for 20 minutes in the second half. Then we sat back and allowed them the ball. I don''t care if most of it was in front of us. We are prone to mistakes and one slip and they could have equalised.

Why we didn''t go for the third I don''t know but wonder why we get so bogged down with tactics. And that may well be why it was only 68K watching.

Even Henderson looked OK for 20 minutes when we weren''t scared of the opposition. First half neither him or Dier could find a team mate.

Ali is the one player in that team who has flair and does things the opposition don''t like, But in the first half he was left facing his own goal as we failed to press a team that was tidy on the ball if you let them but panicked when challenged.

Not good enough. OK for qualifying but that is why we are useless at tournaments.

if England players / team played like a Premier league club high tempo more direct we would win a lot more

why they slow everything down and play the complete opposite to club football is beyond me

Bit of an over reaction, I was there and we were dire for 20 minutes then played a pretty decent game I thought. Deservedly won the game, could have had more on another night.

Slovakia knocked it around well, we don''t have a divine right to beat them. We all know we''re not a top level international side yet our expectations seem to think we are. Do you think any other country revels in their teams failures like England fans do? Was the same at the game last night, Oxlade Chamberlain got booed mercilessly. Maybe try supporting them, you might enjoy it more.

I thought we had a lot of urgency and tempo to our game for the most part. One of the best performances from us in a while. I assume some of the posters on here never watched us under Hughton - now, THAT was boring dirge.

"England are rubbish!"
"Problem with England players is they''re so overrated"
"Well who cares if we win the qualifiers we''ll be no good against proper teams in the knockouts"
I could cope with those comments if they didn''t all seem to come from the same person. I mean, surely they must realise the conflicting things being said here?!