Sign in to follow this  
ROBFLECK

Motty

I will miss his commentary ... he''s a monument in football commentary... I was in Munich when he commentated about "fantasy football" when we went two nil up against Bayern.

I must say we were perplexed/stunned for a moment when Bowen scored...

Anybody else here sad to see him go, or is your sentiment: "about time!" ?

worked on Match of the Day since 1971, and covered 10 World Cups, 10 European Championships and 23 FA Cup finals is a hell of a record, plus the sheepskin coat !

The voice of football for me, grew up listening to him commentate on everything from Match of the Day to the earlier FIFA games. Shame he has wound down from live games in recent years, I think a lot of today''s commentators aren''t in the same league. I also think World Cups/Euros have been poorer without him at the mic for England games since he stopped at Euro 2008. Imagine the memories he must have accumulated.

He is my favourite commentator, mainly for the richness of his voice.

Motty is the reason I still play Fifa 2005 on a game cube.

Occasionally he goes into Falsetto and squeaks: "And it''s another fantastic goal". I guess you have to be there.

The voice of football for me growing up, part of the furniture. But recently feel he gets over excited at the wrong moments in a game and won''t be sad to see him go.

Should have been put out to grass ten years ago but congrats on a long and distinguished career.

Can''t stand him. Obvious from the off that he knew chuff all about football; he''s picked up a bit since then but his ''boyish enthusiasm'' shtick I find grating.

Barry Davies was the best, & the one I miss the most. Only talked when it added something, & genuinely appreciated, &understood, good football.

[quote user="ron obvious"]Can''t stand him. Obvious from the off that he knew chuff all about football; he''s picked up a bit since then but his ''boyish enthusiasm'' shtick I find grating.

Barry Davies was the best, & the one I miss the most. Only talked when it added something, & genuinely appreciated, &understood, good football.[/quote]Ron, Davies was indeed much more interesting, and from memory was regarded as the BBC''s number one, but one night, covering a European match, he made an embarrassing mistake. Whoever was playing against the English team scored, and for the next few minutes Davies commentated as if that meant they were now winning the tie.Suddenly the penny dropped and instead of not saying anything, in which case he might have got away with it, he unthinkingly blurted out : "Oh, of course Liverpool [or whoever it was] are still winning on the away goal!"After that Motson, whose blandness was in part because he knew never to make a mistake and never to be controversial, took over. He had his little tricks, so if he didn''t know who had scored he would say:"So and so is wheeling away taking the congratulations!" It didn''t tell you who had scored but it wasn''t wrong. Sort of on those lines my favourite Motsonism came when we were playing Bayern, and the camera panned up to show someone in the German directors'' box.Said Motty: "Well, he needs no introduction."And there was this pause and you could hear the wheels going round in Motty''s mind. What if there was one viewer who didn''t recognise the man? So although it made him sound very silly he couldn''t take that risk and ended up adding:"Franz Beckenbauer, of course."

I thought this was another thread about someone else!

Love Motty and his analysis, shows its not just turning up and saying the players names as they touch the ball.

Very insightful, as are many others, but I think Motty was one of the first, and best.

Long maybe continue in the game, in some capacity.

Time to go Motty, however his commentary far better than the latter shrill brigade including Jonathan Pearce.

Greavsy wrote the following post at 06/09/2017 4:48 PM:

I thought this was another thread about someone else!

😀

When we played Vitesse Arnhem away eight of us booked into a hotel at lunchtime and there in the bar was Motty and the female producer of MOTD who he introduced as Vivien Kent i think scribbling away doing notes for that evenings game. He had a long chat with us all and was absolutely a true gent. A few years later i had hospitality at Upton Park for an England game v Australia which England lost 3-1. It must have been when Wembley was being redeveloped and there he was so i spoke to him again. He talked to me for ages and remembered that afternoon in the bar at Arnhem and i genuinely think he was being honest and not saying saying it for the sake of it.Happy Retirement JM you will be missed.