Sign in to follow this  
Tangerine_Hoolahan

League Cup 1962

Hi, Blackpool fan here. Just started a little research project on our 1961-62 season, and the closest we ever came to League Cup ''glory''. Wondered if anyone has any memories or pointers to information on the April 1962 semi-final legs in which Norwich triumphed on their way to winning the Cup? I do know the semi-final programmes are sold at ridiculous prices. Anyway, Good Luck this season - hope Wes is still doing the business. I await a return from boycott to watching my team at Bloomfield Rd some day.

Strangely enough, I was reading about this last night in the ''Norwich''s Greatest Games'' book by Edward Couzens-Lake. Although he focuses on the final versus Rochdale, he mentions that the FA were rather hoping the final would be Blackburn v Blackpool, as at that time they were the two ''bigger'' teams. As the League Cup was a new competition that had not been universally welcomed by fans (far from it), they were hoping for a moneyspinner involving clubs from higher leagues, with a local rivalry to boot.Although we eventually won the League Cup that year, manager Willie Reid suffered from poor league results and was relieved of his position at the end of the season – a very 21st-century dismissal, by all accounts! Not sure if anyone ''of a certain age'' can recall whether the sacking of Reid was seen as reasonable or a bit of an outrage, given he had just delivered our first ever major trophy?I hope you manage to get rid of the Oyston dynasty and get your club back soon.

Cheers, FTW. Ha, yes, Blackburn are my dad''s team, but after witnessing their 5-2 drubbing as a young boy at Bloomfield Rd, it was only Tangerine for me.  It was quite a pivotal season for ''big'' Blackpool. The maximum wage had ended the season before, and Stanley Matthews returned to Stoke (never having played in the League Cup for ''Pool), and so began the slow decline.

My recollection is that this was the winter of the big freeze. We were due to play Blackpool in February but the tie didn''t take place until April because most grounds were frozen for weeks on end. There was almost no football anywhere for ages and on the Saturday football round up at 5pm most results were decided by the pools panel. I have a memory of riding my bike down Magpie Road with snow piled up each side to almost head height. We were at home in the first leg which was a mid week tie. In those days it was 7.15 kick off with a crowd of about 20k. I remember Billy Punton scoring but can''t recall the others in a 4-1 win.As for Willie Reid, I have very little memory of him other than he left by mutual consent after less than 6 months in charge.

The big freeze was the season after the League Cup win.

I remember us beating Blackpool in the FA Cup early on. It was the season we lost to Leicester at home in the QF and we had our official home record.

I remember the League Cup winning season up until the end of March and then I got double pneumonia and eventually ended up in Kelling Hospital for 8 weeks and missed the semi and final.

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]We used to have a Tangie on here, whatever happened to him??? He was an excellent poster. Sadly missed.[/quote]Funny who mention him Duncan but his last incarnation was as a Donkey so maybe our friend from Blackpool has spotted him on the beach up there giving rides to the kids ?[:D]

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]The big freeze was the season after the League Cup win.

I remember us beating Blackpool in the FA Cup early on. It was the season we lost to Leicester at home in the QF and we had our official home record.

I remember the League Cup winning season up until the end of March and then I got double pneumonia and eventually ended up in Kelling Hospital for 8 weeks and missed the semi and final.[/quote]The old memory is playing tricks KG, I''ve confused the League Cup game with the FA Cup tie. Having checked the records the big freeze was the season after and it was the 3rd round FA Cup tie that kept being postponed.  I see that Billy Punton was a scorer in both so I got that right.

Not one of your best efforts Ricardo, I''m hoping for a better report on tomorrow''s match 😉😉😉

''kin ell. I can barely remember what happened to me last week!

I like Blackpool, it was my first away trip. I''ll echo other that I hope you rid yourselves of the parasites that think they own your club soon. Owning a football club is a privilege and also a huge responsibility. Your current owner just inherited it because daddy gave it to him. Awful people, keep up the protests!