Sign in to follow this  
Diane

Huddersfield considering closing their academy

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]But will be able to afford the £2million per year to run it?

For example, what if it came down to using the £2million to sign a player we desperately need (Hanley for example) or funding the Academy for another year? [/quote]From the Huddersfield Examiner......."Town have been investing more than £500,000 a year in the Academy for

many years and have had playing success at both Under 18 and Under 21

level."
We both have Category 1 Acadamies so why should ours cost four times as much to run?Is it really £2m per year?

Does "investing £500,000 a year in the Academy" mean the same as "the running costs of Huddersfield''s academy are just £500,000"? I would very much doubt it.

Infamy! Infamy!! I''m sure a lot of you have it in for me. So much I really love about our club that you want to get rid of in order to put even more money into the pockets of the players we sign and their agents. Some of you are insatiable in your quest to rid the club of everything but those expenses.[;)]

To be a Category 1 academy the club must set aside an operational budget of £2.5m and employ 18 full time staff in various roles - those are the definitions set out in the guidelines.

Also, seeing as EPPP didn''t exist until 2011, meaning the Murphys were on in Cat 1 Academy for 2 years, I''m not sure you could say their development is due to that status and finding. Whether the cost has been worth it will only really become apparent in 10 years or so, when the first group of players who have been with the academy all that time start to mature.

Whether scrapping the academy all together and using the £2.5m for signing players delivers more value is very hard to say. As it isn''t like spending money on players is a guarantee of success.

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]Quite right Bethnal.

The only thing that guarantees success is rich owners.[/quote]Not for Villa and Sunderland it hasn''t.......

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Duncan Edwards"]Quite right Bethnal.

The only thing that guarantees success is rich owners.[/quote]Not for Villa and Sunderland it hasn''t.......[/quote]

Except against us, when it did

If money is really tight sure we can replace the Scampi sandwiches with Cod Fish Fingers.

[quote user="Mickdundee"]Except against us, when it did[/quote]Good to see you focus on the bigger picture Mick, clearly beating us is a sign of success, although not sure what relegation from the PL despite spending millions then becomes in that case...

People are forgetting Todd Cantwell who also came through the academy local dereham boy who throughout his youth team days was head and shoulders above anyone else in the team

Now question is will he make the step up but if he does he will pay for a few years

we also get a grant for some of the £2 million a year so i am led to believe ??

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]To be a Category 1 academy the club must set aside an operational budget of £2.5m and employ 18 full time staff in various roles - those are the definitions set out in the guidelines.

Also, seeing as EPPP didn''t exist until 2011, meaning the Murphys were on in Cat 1 Academy for 2 years, I''m not sure you could say their development is due to that status and finding. Whether the cost has been worth it will only really become apparent in 10 years or so, when the first group of players who have been with the academy all that time start to mature.

Whether scrapping the academy all together and using the £2.5m for signing players delivers more value is very hard to say. As it isn''t like spending money on players is a guarantee of success.[/quote]
Too right Beth. Ricky Martin and funding from FONCY and even the PUPs had much more input in their development.
[:-*] Keep it to yerself mind.