Sign in to follow this  
Unhinged Canary

OT - Palace

It is mental if true - I guess it''s not just the losing on the trot, they''ve not scored either, but even so. A new manager needs to be given time, someone suggested that managers shouldn''t be allowed to move/be sacked other than in windows, as with players - that''s probably impractical but maybe something to look into.

If he is given the boot after 360 minutes of league football then that is a new low and Steve Parish needs to have a good look at himself. Do clubs expect a brand new philosophy and approach to bring immediate success?

Hodgson would be such an underwhelming appointment for Palace.

The fact that de Boer has been sacked, especially as Dyche admitted Palace were the better side yesterday, makes me hope Palace are relegated this season.

If they now appoint Hodgson then that will double my wish and hope that they are relegated.

MysticPurple saw this coming.[;)]In that charity quiz Diane is running De Boer was my answer to the question on which Premier League manager would get the sack first...

[quote user="York Canary"]If he is given the boot after 360 minutes of league football then that is a new low and Steve Parish needs to have a good look at himself. Do clubs expect a brand new philosophy and approach to bring immediate success?

Hodgson would be such an underwhelming appointment for Palace.[/quote]I bet that he keeps them up!

[quote user="York Canary"]If he is given the boot after 360 minutes of league football then that is a new low and Steve Parish needs to have a good look at himself. Do clubs expect a brand new philosophy and approach to bring immediate success?

Hodgson would be such an underwhelming appointment for Palace.[/quote]

I''ll answer your question with a question, have you read this board recently?"

It''s because Palarse can''t afford to get relegated, which would really be funny so here''s hoping they do get relegated!

So they want to try a new direction etc, change the way they play and so on. The problem is if it does not work (and it was looking like it was going to take an awful long time to come right) they will be relegated and lose the crucial TV money.

If Hodgson does come in and Palace stay up, will that be considered a success?

From a football point of view it looks awful and he should have been given time. From a business point of view its better to admit the mistake early and fix it...

No shock really.

The media have been on this one since the international break.

I would have been more surprised if it had been Howe perhaps. He is still one of the darlings.

[quote user="Rivvo"][quote user="York Canary"]If he is given the boot after 360 minutes of league football then that is a new low and Steve Parish needs to have a good look at himself. Do clubs expect a brand new philosophy and approach to bring immediate success?

Hodgson would be such an underwhelming appointment for Palace.[/quote]

I''ll answer your question with a question, have you read this board recently?"[/quote]

As I typed it, I knew someone would draw parallels to our situation and so they should - success won''t happen overnight.

I bet Farke will be looking over his shoulder having seen a British clubs decisive action so early on in the season, not that I think our board would be so decisive (and nor should they be!)

There are obvious parallels between us & Palace, but I guess the risks are far less for us than they are Palace.

If it didn''t work at Palace they would lose £100million+. No business would take that risk, football is no different. I guess that''s why there are now more & more teams happy to get to 40points instead of trying to crack the top half

Because of the rewards of being in the Prem, it''s becoming the norm.  Their logic is to get rid of him now gives a new manager plenty of time to settle in, and if that new manager doesn''t work out, there is still time to make another change in December/January....

I''m wondering when was the last time a Prem team that was relegated didn''t sack its manager during the relegation season (aside from Alex Neil, obv).  I think Burnley did it after they''d just been promoted ?  Aside from those two examples of teams keeping faith with a manager who''d just won promotion, I can''t think of any other cases where a club has kept its manager while being relegated.  And some, such as Sunderland, have taken it to ridiculous lengths, which Palace are now following.

Having said this, if you owned a Prem club like Palace and you had a new manager with the team struggling to the extent of not having even scored after 4 games, how long would you give him ?  It comes back to what else the owner can do in this scenario, which is precious little after the transfer window closes.  It''s easy to say how stupid they''re being, but if the people posting comments were in the position of the club owners, I suspect it wouldn''t be quite so easy to say.

My question is whether this would have happened if Parish and his consortium still owned the club, rather than the newbie US investors to whom it was recently sold. Parish remains Chairman, but the boardroom power presumably lies with the Americans.

So you''re suggesting a long-term owner with a genuine affiliation to a club is better than deep pocketed foreigners who make knee-jerk reactions based on money rather than fundamentals?

Heresy! ;-)

The little I''ve read on this suggests that the club never really got behind what de Boer was trying to do, giving him little support in transfers, and even recruiting players at the last minute who didn''t fit into the way he was trying to get the team to play. So this was a possibility from the start of the season. Bizarre (and costly) way to run a club.

Anyone watch Sam Allardyce on Monday night Football ?  He talked a lot of sense, No goals for Palace, he said it due the the demand of possession football, the defenders are standing waiting for you to attack, when you really need to turn the defence so that they are facing their own goal.   

I am currently in the Amsterdam, where he was assistant at Ajax, and before he was sacked, a few people said that they couldn''t believe that he was given the manager job.

They thought although he was a great player, and good technical coach, they did not think he has the right personality to motivate players or manage.

None are surprised he has been sacked.

Sunderland were derided for constantly changing their manager in order to survive despite it working for a few years.

The first time they stuck with a manager right through (David Moyes) they came down.