Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Baboon

Midweek Games - Huge News

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41239042?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_match_of_the_day&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport

Sorry for the lack of a clicky.

''Sky is to stream all midweek Championship games after agreeing a new five-year rights deal worth £600m with the English Football League.''

Be interesting to see how this affects away attendances.

Be interesting to see how much the Sky subscription increases by, not that it bothers me as I don''t pay for Sky Sports as it''s a rip off.

Also will the clubs benefit from the deal as the Prem clubs do from their deal?

Not only that clubs will be able to stream mid week games not on Sky in the UK not just internationally.

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]

The comma - a much underrated piece of punctuation, don''t you think ?

[/quote] [:D] Indeed, but in this computer-created Age of Illiteracy, the same can be said of all punctuation marks, don''t you think?

Ah, the comma.

Without it, ''I''m hungry. Lets eat, Grandpa!'' becomes ''I''m hungry. Lets eat Grandpa!''

Proof that correct punctuation can save lives...

[quote user="Mr Apples"]I''m a big fan of a correctly-placed hyphen.Apples[/quote]Not nerdy enough for me. I favour an ellipsis and square brackets myself...

Grammar matters in business and legal matters. But on on a football message board using smart phones? Would be good if iPhone could finally catch up with a decent keyboard and language checker though.

Not nerdy enough for me. I favour an ellipsis and square brackets myself...

As an ex compositor, I would just like to point out that brackets are the square ones. The curved ones are parenthesis.

: Midweek Games - Huge News

Mr Apples wrote the following post at 12/09/2017 2:39 PM:

Isn''t the smartphone only as smart as the operator?

Whereas a smartarse is seldom as smart at he thinks he is.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]Not nerdy enough for me. I favour an ellipsis and square brackets myself...

As an ex compositor, I would just like to point out that brackets are the square ones. The curved ones are parenthesis.[/quote]Er, parentheses! A parenthesis is a phrase, parentheses the pair of curved brackets enclosing it. (Surely that''s truly nerdy by anyone''s standards, even Purple''s?)

Mr Apples wrote the following post at 12/09/2017 2:52 PM:

"Whereas a smartarse is seldom as smart at he thinks he is."

Great post Van wink!

Apples

Pleased it struck a chord👍

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]Not nerdy enough for me. I favour an ellipsis and square brackets myself...

As an ex compositor, I would just like to point out that brackets are the square ones. The curved ones are parenthesis.[/quote]Funny how threads career off in odd directions! Strictly (and going by my Shorter Oxford English Dictionary) in English English the curved ones are called brackets, hence the need to call the straight ones square brackets.It is in American English that the curved ones are called parentheses. In English English parentheses refers to a passage that is inserted into a sentence and often is in brackets but not necessarily so. It could be between dashes, for example.And that is without getting on to braces...

It did, and remember it''s far better to be recognised as a smartarse than just an ar*e...Great follow-up post...you''re the best!!!Apples

Getting back on track, this is from the 19/20 season isn''t it? As such, I hope I never get to enjoy this coverage!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="keelansgrandad"]Not nerdy enough for me. I favour an ellipsis and square brackets myself... As an ex compositor, I would just like to point out that brackets are the square ones. The curved ones are parenthesis.[/quote]

Funny how threads career off in odd directions! Strictly (and going by my Shorter Oxford English Dictionary) in English English the curved ones are called brackets, hence the need to call the straight ones square brackets.

It is in American English that the curved ones are called parentheses. In English English parentheses refers to a passage that is inserted into a sentence and often is in brackets but not necessarily so. It could be between dashes, for example.

And that is without getting on to braces...

[/quote]

I love it when people start talking about English English.  Or, for short, English.