Sign in to follow this  
writeronthestorm

Sheff Utd

Any thoughts on what the line-up will be?

I expect Farke to bring in Maddison for Wes, but doubt if we see many more changes.

I''m usually very optimistic, but I think we might get thrashed on Saturday because a) I am going b) we don''t end winning runs, we usually only end losing runs

Would personally freshen it up with something like this:

Gunn

Pinto (c)-Zimmermann-Klose-Stiepermann

Trybull-Reed

Wildschut-Maddison/Hoolahan-Murphy

Oliveira

I felt we lacked width last night and Wildschut can bring that and his direct approach excites me. I feel Tettey knees might not allow him to play 3 games in a week but we still need to solidity in midfield two CDMs give. Maddison/Wes is a tough one and I really don''t mind who plays.

Hopefully Sheff Utd will attack us leaving themselves open for our football to flourish finding those cheeky little pockets of space we crave so badly.

Disclaimer: Hopefully

lincsy88 wrote the following post at 2017-09-13 6:47 PM:

Would personally freshen it up with something like this:

Gunn

Pinto (c)-Zimmermann-Klose-Stiepermann

Trybull-Reed

Wildschut-Maddison/Hoolahan-Murphy

Oliveira

I felt we lacked width last night and Wildschut can bring that and his direct approach excites me. I feel Tettey knees might not allow him to play 3 games in a week but we still need to solidity in midfield two CDMs give. Maddison/Wes is a tough one and I really don''t mind who plays.

Pray tell me just what Oliveira did last night to retain a starting position?

What did he do to not? Hes got 3 goals already this season and I thought put himself about very well last night considering he was carrying a knock. He was always looking for the ball, to create chances, create space for himself to have a shooting opportunity, looked more lively than any of our other attacking players. Why would you drop an inform striker after not scoring in one game?

[quote user="lincsy88"]What did he do to not? Hes got 3 goals already this season and I thought put himself about very well last night considering he was carrying a knock. He was always looking for the ball, to create chances, create space for himself to have a shooting opportunity, looked more lively than any of our other attacking players. Why would you drop an inform striker after not scoring in one game?[/quote]
He missed a sitter from 7 yards out, and hit several shots 30 yards over the bar/wide when better options were there.
I like Oliviera, and I would still start him on Saturday, but let''s not pretend he was good last night, because he wasn''t, he was very poor indeed.

I didn''t say he was good but he certainly wasn''t ''very poor indeed''. Cameron Jerome misses sitters from 7 yards out every game he plays but most people on here worship the ground he walks on because he ''works hard''! Nelson worked hard last night, wasn''t afraid to at least have a shot at goal and everyone is slating him!

[quote user="lincsy88"]Why would you drop an inform striker after not scoring in one game?[/quote]Because he spent almost the entire game playing as an attacking midfielder, which left the other mids with no-one to pass to upfront, and most of our wasted chances came from overly speculative shots from Nelson.I think people have easily forgotten how well Jerome has done for us at this level, but because Nelson is more technically gifted and is a better finisher, they''ve written Jerome off instead.Last night would likely have been 2-0 or 3-0 if either Nelson had actually played as a bloody striker, or if we''d used Jerome which gives us options for crossing and more physicality in the middle.

It will certainly be a test of our new found defensive solidity. 3 goals conceded in 4 home games but 9 conceded in 3 away games. Maybe possession football is the best tactic for away games to keep the goals down?

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]It will certainly be a test of our new found defensive solidity. 3 goals conceded in 4 home games but 9 conceded in 3 away games. Maybe possession football is the best tactic for away games to keep the goals down?[/quote]

Tricky - at Villa at least 2 of our goals came when we were passing it square to keep possession and they intercepted.

[quote user="lincsy88"]I didn''t say he was good but he certainly wasn''t ''very poor indeed''. Cameron Jerome misses sitters from 7 yards out every game he plays but most people on here worship the ground he walks on because he ''works hard''! Nelson worked hard last night, wasn''t afraid to at least have a shot at goal and everyone is slating him![/quote]
No, most people worship the ground Oliveira walks on. Which is fine, he is our best striker overall, there''s just not much in it.
The reality is the goal ratio of Oliveira and Jerome is very similar, but yesterday was crying out for Jerome to be involved much earlier on, possibly even start.

[quote user="Diane"]Im going up for weekend as its my birthday treat so am hoping it is a treat[/quote]Not my birthday but staying overnight too. Perhaps we should meet up.Fancy putting down some shapes in a club ? Jigsaw puzzles at the senior citizens drop-in that is...[;)]

Sorry just cant fit you in Smithy, my hubby has made plans for both nights, plus jigsaw puzzles and senior citizen drop in centres arent my thing.

More of a cocktail bar girl myself lol

Lets hope we get a good win