Sign in to follow this  
sgncfc

The Big Screen

What is the point of this? Apart from introducing the teams with some pictures, it just displays a rotating series of adverts.

Occasionally the game feed appears (often not in real time) but only for about 20 seconds then we go back to the same adverts.

No replays; no attempts to add to the atmosphere. Is it that we can''t afford the people to make these things work properly anymore? We''d do better to just turn it off and save the electricity bill.

Pretty much this ^^^^

It would be good if it shew more replays/in-game footage but I assume there are some kind of broadcasting rights restrictions

The biggest problem with this is we''re not willing to embrace technology fully yet as a sport.

As it stands you''re not allowed to show any replays that may be contentious. Can''t remember whether it''s because they fear it will incite the 80s Hooligans in the crowd, or the fact that it could undermine our otherwise infallible referees when it highlights how wrong they are a lot of the time.

So whilst it could be used for live football, we''re not really far enough away from the action to not be able to see so it will continue to be used for advertising.

Until we get to a position where decisions are confirmed or changed by video replays, it will only ever be used for goal replays. Would love it to show the crowd when a decision was incorrect exactly like they do on TV but heavens forbid they rile up the crowd.

only "positive" replys can be shown, such as a goal, or near miss.

anything that could effect the referee''s descision, or cause incitement to players cannot be shown.

can you imagine, if a goal isnt disallowed for a blatent handball, the match kicks off again, then the screen shows the handball, what kind of situation we would have?

and as for showing adverts, how do you think the screen is paid for!!

Diane wrote the following post at 13/09/2017 10:30 AM:

Companies pay to advertise on there so it''s a source of income

I heard that when the screen was installed the company who supply/ manage the screen sells the advertising space, and there is no income to the club.

I agree Diane, that would make more sense, but just repeating what I''d heard.

Cannot see any benefit to the club if they don''t get any revenue from it.

I NOTICE AT THE ARSENAL IF THEY ARE NOT SHOWING LIVE ACTION, THEY KEEP THE TEAM SHEET OF BOTH TEAMS ON SCREEN.

THATS IS WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN HERE.

SADLY AS ALWAYS IN FOOTBALL, MONEY IS THE GOD, NOT THE FANS REQUIREMENTS.

I can happily ignore the adverts that appear on the big screen. What I find harder to ignore is the repetitive music that accompanies them pre-match and at half time. The intro to Bittersweet Symphony and the chorus of ''Happy'' rather grates after the 100th time...

@ Diane

Thats not the case Greavsy, Im pretty sure that companies pay us to advertise on thereAbsolutely correct Diane, i advertised my business on it last season as part of a package, the TV screens in the concourse area''s are sold by a 3rd party, who supplied the monitors and they get the revenue for advertising sold on the side / bottom bar, the club use TV area for showing news / scores etc.

[quote user="sgncfc"]What is the point of this? Apart from introducing the teams with some pictures, it just displays a rotating series of adverts. [/quote]They should stream the whole game on it. Then charge plastics a nominal fee to watch it ( which many of them have said they''ll happily pay), jobs a good ''un. On second thoughts, they''d probably still not turn up because there''d be no commentary. Silly me! [:S]

It''s deflects attention from the hotel behind it. This has worked to a degree because I can''t remember a thread moaning about the hotel since we''ve had the screen to moan about. Happy days.